1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:The only work I have published is the writing I've done for About.com. I have just finished writing my first children's book and hope to get it published.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have written an MG fiction book about language. My original idea had been to write some non-fiction books about language for kids since there aren't any, at least none that I could find. I could find only grammar workbooks.

However, as I thought about how to write such I book, I concluded that it would be boring - even to kids who would be interested in the topic.  I decided to make the books fiction.

The stories would cover various aspects of language through adventures a little girl has in Lingualand. The first book is about what language is and whether animals have language.

I am providing all this background in hopes that my question will make more sense.  The main purpose of the books is to inform children about language in a fun way.  In the first book, Anna wakes up unable to communicate with her father and brother.  Their words sound like gibberish to each other.  But Anna finds she is now able to talk to her dog, Chompsky, who takes her on a journey through a Translator Tree to a place called Lingualand. There she talks to bugs, bees, birds, and fish and as she does she learns about what language is. The characters are funny and there is some excitement in the middle of the story (an eagle picks her up and drops her in a lake).

The book is really meant to answer the question "What is language?" in a fun and interesting way. But I suppose the question in terms of a story would be "Will Anna find a way to communicate again with her family?"

Does that make sense?

#2 CheG

CheG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Forthcoming- Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight from Black Opal Books
    And lots of other stuff...

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Well there needs to be some sort of conflict, either external or internal. And the character should grow in some way through each book. Your idea reminds me a tiny bit of The Phantom Tollbooth :) 

But your conflict doesn't need to be world-saving big. It can be about friendship, personal growth, or thwarted goals of some kind.

DogFightcoversigsize_zpsfe772a9d.jpg

Please check out my MG query here 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users