#1 ResidentZero

ResidentZero

Author of Environmental Fiction and Non-Fiction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've published over 12 books on Amazon, both fiction and non-fiction. I've won several writing contests.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

When I designed my book cover, the company wanted a publisher's logo on the back. Since I'm self-published, and I'm only 15, I have no company, so I made a fake logo called "Gasmask Productions". Looking at it, people would know it's not real, but would it be considered a real company? The logo is on all my books, however, it's not a real or registered company, it's a made-up independent one that supposedly "publishes only environmental fiction, by so far only one author."

#2 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

What company wanted a publishers logo on the back? 

If it's just a made up logo then no it is not considered an actual company. You'll know if you have a real company because you'll have had to do a bunch of paperwork for the government to create it. 

If the logo looks legit enough then maybe some people might assume it is an actual company, but if they try to google it I imagine they won't find much.

"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#3 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

On a more macro level, this question comes up as a matter of branding indie books -- whether to alert the reader that your books are part of series, or written by the same author, or in your case, books that cover similar topics and themes.

You asked: would it be considered a real company?  Not sure what you mean by this question... would readers think it's a real publishing house? Again, readers are very savvy. They usually know when they're reading an indie book from an author they've never heard of, or a book from an indie author they heard about on a blog, or a book from a traditional imprint or publishing house.

Would it lend your book credibility... is that your question?  Not really.  And it likely doesn't matter much because readers of digital media don't always need the "credibility" of good reviews or a known publishing house to click BUY. That said, it doesn't mean it's not a good idea to brand your books this way.  If done properly, it could be a great way.

Where it gets tricky is if you started pretending that you are a "real" publishing company in order to garner reviewers from reviewers who only review books that are published by a formal publishing company, not not by individual authors.  

But that's not what you're insinuating.

The whole point of actually creating a formal publishing entity to "publish" your own books is for legal/liability and tax reporting reasons.  But since you're not 18, and your tax reporting and liability issues are still tied to your legal guardians (ie. parents), then creating a formal publishing entity is not something you can/should take on anyway.

#4 shawnrohrbach

shawnrohrbach

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:9 books and 1 script produced. Newest novel coming out in September 2016 and next script to be produced now in pre-production. Please visit my web site www.shawnrohrbach.com for a complete writing vitae

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Resident, if you sell a lot of copies, rinse and repeat.  By then who cares what the logo looks like. Good luck.

Shawn Rohrbach
www.shawnrohrbach.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users