Disclaimer

Photo

PDF to Epub converter software - iskysoft. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CapeCodCurvy

CapeCodCurvy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Bestselling Amazon author: UNDERTOW, STORMFRONT, CRUEL SUMMER. Writer in Residence, Sturgis West High School. CP for traditionally pubbed authors. Professional Member - Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Faculty member for NESCBWI 2015. UNDERTOW awards: Indie Recon Live nominee, Teen Best Bets - Girl's Life Magazine, Barnes and Noble's 7 terrifying summer reads 2015, Publisher's Weekly 2014, Librarian's choice - high school summer reading lists, Teen Book Clubs. Organizer of multiple author panels / events including Wreck A Book 2015 with 10+ authors. ARC reviewer for the big 5 publishers.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

So, I recently stumbled across software for my Mac known as iskysoft pdf converter. http://www.iskysoft....verter-mac.html

It has outstanding reviews and I wanted to know if anyone has used this to convert a pdf to epub and upload to Kindle Direct? I really want to maintain formatting and the specialized fonts I have in the printed version of UNDERTOW.

Has anyone used this software?

Thanks all!

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'm not familiar with the software, but you're going to have difficulty preserving the look of the physical copy in the eBook. Specialized fonts won't translate to an ereader, because the user can select from several system fonts to read in. If you wanted to keep chapter headings in a special font, you might be able to do it by turning those headings into graphics, but I haven't experimented with including graphics in eBooks. And going straight from the PDF wouldn't accomplish that.

Looks like the software has a free trial. I certainly wouldn't pay for it until I'd tried it out, load the result onto an eReader and see what it looks like.

(Also, does Amazon now support uploading as an EPUB and they'll convert it to Kindle format? That wasn't the case previously, I don't think.)

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Newer versions of Kindles have better support for fonts but unless you have very good reasons for selecting specific fonts, like a children's book, it might be better to stick with the defaults. There are several things to consider:

Older versions of Kindles may render the book differently - you'd certainly have no control over that.

Readers have preferences for the font style, size, spacing etc and might not appreciate those being overridden,

Kindle Version 8 (KF8) has a number of built in fonts that you can specify in CSS - you can even embed your own fonts but Amazon don't recommend this.

You can find more details in the Kindle Publishing Guide Lines

If the software is free, you have only your time to waste creating an epub. If the results look ok (and the software might disregard font info anyway for an epub conversion), you can use other free software to convert to Kindle format. Calibre will do this as will KindleGen. As RC mentions, I'm pretty sure you can upload an epub file directly to Amazon and it will convert to Kindle and you can view the results in the previewer.

Good luck and prepare for plenty of head scratching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users