#1 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I've been using Scrivener to write my current wip. When Scrivener compiles your work into a Word document or epub or whatever, you can select how you want to mark the end of the scenes.

The options include characters like a hash (#), line feeds and so on. I'm curious as to which method folks think is the most appropriate.

In addition, I have a second question for Scrivener users. In between some scenes, I'd like to have a line feed to indicate a transition but in between other scenes which flow together, I'd prefer to have no markers. How do other Scrivener users address this?

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#2 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:MARONA novels:
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

I use three asterisks between scenes, because I feel that has more a polished look than hashtags, which I feel like are a relic of a former time.  However, I haven't published anything yet that uses those asterisks, and I may end up using a graphic of my own design in place of that instead.

I can't answer your Scrivener question. Sorry! :(

HOWEVER - since many things hate extra spaces and blank paragraphs, you could, if you really wanted to, create an invisible graphic or line of text.  The invisible line of text might be an HTML-only thing.  The graphic?  You'd have to test this, but perhaps a very small .gif file that has complete transparency?  I've never tried this before, but if the program you use for graphics won't allow an entirely transparent graphic to be exported (like a blank canvas with nothing on it), then try an extremely small and extremely translucent graphic that gives the illusion there is nothing there.  Anything that could look good in e-ink and/or with high-contrast settings on.

WebsiteOeuvreShopFacebookGoodreadsWattpadTwitter

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

Vendetta (High Fantasy, Heist Elements)
The World Walker (Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy)
Jasmine of the Fireflies (Magical Realism, LGBTQIA+ Romance, Short Story)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users