Disclaimer

Photo

Scenes in which your MC is on stage/singing?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this, either as a writer or a performer?

I'm having trouble with a scene in which my MC is in a bar playing an acoustic guitar and singing.

Find ARTIFICIAL on Goodreads and Amazon!

#2 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have limited expereince: band, choir in high school/college and a few open mics...

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...-urban-fantasy/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#3 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Haha! The only experience I have is my 9th grade choir performance where I went sheet-white and almost passed out! I now have an aversion to even casually singing around people. I really have nothing to go off of either. I thought of maybe going to a few bars and checking out some local talent.

Hmm.

#4 Charlee Vale

Charlee Vale

I love tea.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My short story 'A Gift of Roses' appears in Elephant Bookshelf Press' new anthology Winter's Regret. (Mar. 2014)

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm not really sure what you're asking? Do you have a particular question about performing?

CV

"My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears. And true plain hearts do in the faces rest. Where can we find two better hemispheres? Without sharpe North, without declining west. Whatever dies was not mix'd equally. If our two loves be one and thou and I love so alike, that none can slacken, none can die." --John Donne

#5 Terradi

Terradi

Resident Malkavian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Is your MC a hobbyist, semi-pro, or a professional?  That'll likely change the venue quite a bit.  

I have a bunch of hobbyist friends who do occasional performances in bars.  Sometimes they had to pay to do so, often they lost money doing it, but it was a hobby and something they loved so they kept at it.  I also have one friend who is a semi-pro, but he does a lot of bookings for weddings/etc.  Haven't seen him play live.  

What do you need to know? 

#6 annab3lla

annab3lla

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD (HarperTeen '17)(contemporary YA)

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I have some experience and/or knowledge. What are you having difficulty with? Background details? Technical info (like whether your character would use a mic or have a pickup installed in his guitar)? How your MC would be feeling?

#7 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

She's a hobbyist. It would be her first performance.

Annab3lla--Yes!! All of those things. I'm having trouble with the technical aspects, but I also don't know how to describe what she would be feeling. Obviously nervous. There are so many aspects--the lights, the sound, the heat, the eyes staring at you, etc. And it's a world I obviously have no familiarity with.

Thanks all.

#8 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

If she's nervous, she might be sweating, her heart might be pounding, she might be pale and/or shaking, things like that. When I get nervous in front of people I get lightheaded, my heart pounds and my breathing comes in shorter bursts. I might also have shaky hands  and some excessive sweating. Those are normal reactions for people when performing in front of others.

As a hobbyist, she's probably at a small club, church, etc. So there's going to be fewer lights, probably fewer people, etc.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...-urban-fantasy/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#9 Fer

Fer

Caution, do not feed!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published: The Order of the Knight and Blood Betrayal.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Mmhh first time performer eh? I remember the first time I stepped up to a mic and had to sing for a public. My knees were weak, my hands were shaking and every inch of my being was telling me to just turn around and walk away. My mind was racing, repeating the lyrics over and over again. All this gets worse when they call your name and it is showtime. Sweat will start to pour out of places you didn't even know that you had. Your heart starts to pound like a race horse and you really have to remember that you are doing this for fun.

Since then I had a few more performances and things become easier, the second time performing will be a lot easier as well. No I am not a professional singer, though I did the bar and club scene. Hope it helps.  :smile:

418%2BNxETuOL._AA160_.jpg 41Qo%2BM9WDpL._AA160_.jpg

#10 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Every venue I've every performed in--either alone or in a group--as been uncomfortably hot. If the venue has a lit stage, she may not be able to see the audience for the brightness of the lights. In a informal venue like a coffee shop, she may feel ignored or intrusive since many people will continue talking over her.

#11 Koechophe

Koechophe

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I've had extensive experiences on stage and performing as a teenager. If you'd like some insight as to the emotions she'd be feeling and how to describe them, I think I can help, but i'd need to know more about what's generally going on at that point in your story. 

#12 paladinpeter

paladinpeter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:One adventure published in Dungeon magazine Sept/Oct 1999.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

I sang caraoke (once).  It was in front of over 600 people!  I am (or at least used to be) the shyest and most introverted person you could ever meet.  I did it simply because just being in a room with that many people literally scared the cr@p out of me, and I figured it might help me to get over it.  I performed an old country song about a county auction that's so fast it's difficult to spit the words out fast enough at the best of times.  Once I got over the "oh sh*t, what have I done?" moment, I didn't even see the audience.  I just tuned them completely out and imagined I was singing along to the radio in my truck.  Several people complimented me on my performance afterwards.

#13 annab3lla

annab3lla

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD (HarperTeen '17)(contemporary YA)

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

For the technical stuff, they'd need a mic for her vocals and either a mic or a pickup for her guitar. If she has a pickup installed in her guitar, they would just plug the amp or sound system into the end of her guitar. If she doesn't have a pickup installed, they'd have to set up a mic for her guitar.

Is she fingerpicking (ie. playing out individual notes by plucking different strings) or just strumming chords? The first time I ever played at an open mic night at a coffee shop, I was so nervous that I couldn't get my fingers to move right at first. My first song involved fingerpicking, not strumming, and I kept plucking the wrong string or just missing notes for the first half of the first song before I finally got into the groove. Ironically, I think this led to a better audience. People at coffee shops for open mics often tend to just talk over the performers. But I had announced that it was my first time playing there, and then I was so obviously nervous that I think people felt sorry for me and actually paid attention as well as clapped louder to encourage me.

The atmosphere could really change depending on where she is playing - club, coffee shop, church, outdoors, etc. - and I don't want to describe what every single one of those venues would be like to play at. But I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

#14 D. E. Jackson

D. E. Jackson

Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:THE CLANDESTINE is available on Amazon and through Goodreads. I've been making up stories since I was little and been writing seriously since 2007, mastering my craft. I'm currently working on book two THE DESIRED.
    My prequel ERASED will hopefully be published soon.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

This might be a little late, but when I had to sing in front of judges and a room of about 500, all I could do was smile, walk up the stage without tripping (take your time, don't fall. Is that a tear in the carpet?), grab the mic, wait for them to put on the right track for me to sing to (come on, come on, what is taking soooo long? It was like 5 seconds), start singing (got to start at just the right time, on que, and this is when the sweat starts to pour, 1. cause your nervous and 2. Man could these lights be anymore hot? I know they have to see me, but geez!), make it to the end without mistakes (don't mess up, don't mess up. Look at everyone staring at me. Where do I look? Where is safe?), while doing gestures to my song (I feel so stupid, why do I have to do these again?), and am sooooo relieved when I'm done (whew, I made it! Now get me off of this stage! Are they clapping because they liked my singing or are they just being polite? Did I do well, or did I suck?).

My experience anyway. Hope it helps. :blush:

519euspeCaL._AA160_.jpg

Goodreadshttps://www.goodread...768.D_E_Jackson

T​WITTER
https://twitter.com/DEJacksonWolf

YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube....emhvA_CyRqAJq7w

Favorite Artist - Adam Hall (my favorite thus far is the tornado)
http://www.adamhallart.com/#intro[color=rgb(0,0,255)]

There is no trick beyond sitting your arse in a chair everyday -Shawn Speakman, Unfettered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users