#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

Our official AQ guide for writers who receive "the call" from an agent offering literary representation...

http://agentquery.com/writer_or.aspx

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Here's a link from agent Jennifer Laughran's blog on What Happens After the Call: http://literaticat.b...m-now-what.html

Enjoy!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

I met my agent at a writer's conference - the first one I'd ever been to.

After a one-sentence pitch, she asked to see the manuscript. I delivered it a week later, and after three months, I sent her a one-line email (see a pattern here?) that said simply, "I've been advised it's appropriate to inquire after three months."

The phone rang five minutes later. We chatted for some time about the story, and she asked me "what else have you got?" I mentioned three manuscripts that I had begun. She then told me she would email me a list of all of her clients, and instructed me to contact as many of them as I could. "Ask them anything," she challenged me.

When I'd spoken to six and received nothing but raves, I called her back and asked what was next. We talked some more. She asked me about the three stories I had underway, only one of which was a true mystery. She asked me, "would you mind if I made you into a mystery writer?"

I thought that was a fine idea. She sent me a simple two-page contract that was written in plain English, and signed me in May.

Months of rewriting and waiting ensued. The manuscript was submitted to three publishers in late November.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#4 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Good info. Thanks both of you.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

#5 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

Ha. I never got "the call", per se. My wife was home at the time, nursing a repaired rotator cuff, and SHE got the call from my agent. She called me, and said, "Hey, guess what? You have an agent." I got "the email". One which I printed out and have on my bulletin board above where I work.

We set up a time to chat over the phone. I made out a LONG list of questions to ask, based on the information I gleaned here on this very site. It was invaluable to me. I had done research on Agent Lady before I ever queried of course, so I knew she had a great sales history, etc. It was really about seeing if we had the same vision for me and my work, and if we meshed personality-wise, which is something that was important to both of us.

Anyway...

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#6 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

I represent a classic case of “agent by query.” My agent was one of several who requested my full manuscript based on my letter. Though skipping the partial stage certainly cost me more $ (he requested a hard copy as did several other agents I submitted to), at least I felt if he got to the end of chapter three and was hooked there would be no “waiting for more to arrive.” My agent had the distinction of being the only one who asked for a two week exclusive with my MS. I considered this an extremely reasonable time period but, since I had other submissions out, all I could offer was not to send out any more materials during the two weeks.

As the end of the two weeks approached the phone rang (thank goodness for caller ID, it enabled me to put my game face on before lifting the receiver). It was agent-guy calling to say he was loving the manuscript but wondered if he might have two more weeks to finish. We talked a bit about who I was, how I’d learned to write and his background as an editor with a major house before moving into the agent realm. I gave him the extension he was seeking.

Less than two weeks later he called again. He’d finished the MS and continued to be enthralled by it (his word, not mine). He suggested, since I live in the North East corridor and fit is such a huge part of the author/agent relationship, we have lunch to discuss his ideas for this book, my ideas for future books and the publishing business in general. This suited me perfectly because I think you can learn a lot about a person in a face to face meeting.

We rendezvoused in NYC and spent a delightful couple of hours getting to know each other. We discovered we had a shared vision for my book. He discovered that I had many other story ideas and that I had taken the time to educate myself about the profession/business of writing. I was already familiar with his client list in my genre (and all the other sort of stuff good research can reveal, but I discovered the stuff you can't learn on line -- that our personalities were an excellent mesh, that he was intensely interested in “career building” rather than just shopping a particularly promising individual manuscript. Over dessert me made me an offer. Now standard procedure would have been to ask for a week to think about it and go home and tell the other agents with manuscripts that I had an offer, allowing them to counter. But in my case my particular agent had always been the top of my personal A-list, so it seemed cruel to push for additional offers I knew I wasn’t going to accept. I said yes on the spot. A few days later I received a care package including a half-a-dozen books by some of his published author clients and my contract.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#7 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

I got the call thanks to a critique partner (that I found here on AQ, I'd like to mention!). Anyway, she very, very kindly asked me if it would be okay for her to mention my nonfiction project to her agent. Of course, I said sure. He liked the premise and told her I could send him a query. I sent a query AND my proposal--just in case he wanted to take a peek. He emailed that day saying he had it and it might take him a day or two to get to it. It took him two days and he apologized for the delay. (Color me impressed!) He asked if we could discuss things over the phone. Six days after sending the query, I had an offer of representation sitting in the tray of my printer to sign and email back. Two days after that he handed me things he'd like me to fix up on my proposal if it suited me. It did--in fact, it ignited a whole new fire of inspiration.

I don't think I had a chance to do a happy dance, I was so shocked and surprised by how fast everything happened--I wasn't querying this project. (I had sent out a handful of queries in the past at the prompting of another AQ friend, but hadn't met with success--I now know I was focusing on the wrong aspect of the project in the query.)

From signing on the dotted line, I went straight into fixing up my proposal as he wanted to get it out to editors a few weeks before Thanksgiving and we had a total of 6 weeks before big turkey day.

It took me awhile to 'catch up' to where my agent was. In other words, he was already planning our attack while I was still going, "OHMYGODIHAVEANAGENT!" He moves fast and I like it. It's only been a few months and a few phone calls and a few emails, but I've already learned a ton. Agents most definitely earn their money. I'm glad that over the years I've spent time reading what to expect if a query does it's job. Otherwise, I might have had a complete newbie meltdown in the first few weeks (my agent is a get things done sort of person rather than a hand-holder).

Like others have said, I had a few questions ready for 'the call' (but really, I didn't ask or even want to/need to ask most of them). He was very open about me taking my time to decide and answering any questions I had. The main thing I really wanted to know was whether we'd have the same vision--which we do. In fact, he rocks my vision! He makes it marketable. :) Let's just hope editors feel the same way. (I'm currently out on submissions.)

And there you have it. That's my story.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#8 Godsmotive

Godsmotive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Writewinger: Solutions for the Politically Oblique - Booklocker.com
    God's Motive - Booklocker.com

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Is all this before or after I change my pants?

#9 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Is all this before or after I change my pants?

lololol... hopefully AFTER. Never good to try and get a good feel for an agent with your privates sopping wet.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#10 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is kind of you to take time to do so.

#11 JayMG

JayMG

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:My novel was published by a small UK press in July 2014. I also have short works published in various UK and US literary magazines.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:37 AM

Mwahahaaa Godsmotive!

I got "the call" though it didn't end in a contract.

About...oooh...six years ago now, I committed every querying sin under the sun. I rang agents to see if they were accepting submissions, I had no query letter or synopsis or outline and so I had to 'um' and 'ah' my way through a rambled version of the story over the phone to the ones I got through to. Out of about 20, 3 asked for sample pages. Problem was, I hadn't finished the book. In fact, I hadn't even written it in the right order - I had about 50 pages (in total) from various points throughout the narrative. I sent them out. Then I flew to Australia for my sister's wedding (not essential in the world of querying, just that's what happened).

I got back 2 weeks later, and the very moment (no kidding) I got through the door, my phone rang. It was an agent who had just got back from her own 2 week holiday in Australia (no kidding) and she'd read my 50 pages without stopping, then and there, and picked up the phone. She invited me up to London for lunch. We had dim sum. It was awesome. I bullshitted my way through my plans for the rest of the book and got a free lunch out of it. She then waited patiently while I spent the next 2 years finishing the book. By the time the proper 1st draft was done, she read it all, and I started a rewrite. And then another one. And then about a year after that, when I thought I really was done, I realised that I still wasn't, and I wanted to chop the whole thing into confetti and start again. Then I had a baby (again, unrelated to querying but that's just what happened) and started this book.

I know I could have kept in touch with her, and I may possibly do so in the future, but I got paranoid she'd given up on me (which she probably had) and embarrassed that I never delivered on my end. Back then she was just starting out and obviously looking for new clients. A couple of years into our 'relationship' she made a HUGE deal for a debut author. Natch. Problem is she's moved agencies and I don't think my book is really a fit for what they've published, so I'm reluctant to try to reignite that fire. I may name-drop her, though, as she was in the press for the big ol' advance she got that author after a bidding war between publishers. Natch.

Ho hum. It happened once, it can happen again.

#12 SLDuncan

SLDuncan

Mister Doubtfire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Books. Comics. Ill advised emails. Represented by John Rudolph of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management. THE EVOLUTION OF GABRIEL ADAM (Book 3, The Revelation Saga Medallion Press - August, 2016).

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

I've had "The Call" twice, now. That doesn't make me an expert, but here's the one thing I've learned: You'll probably blow the call. Not that it matters. The agent has almost certainly made up his or her mind about representing you. Hint: it's good news.

I read the AQ Guide to the Call and found it to be invaluable. However, when that 212 area code pops up on your caller ID (assuming phone calls from NYC are quite unusual), and if you're anything like me, you'll promptly forget everything you learned. But that's okay. This call is really about the agent feeling you out and getting a sense that your neurotic 'isms' are within a tolerable range. Though, if you're lucky and achieve some small amount of lucidity during the call, perhaps you might recall bits of the important parts of the guide, like asking questions about the agent's ideas for the book and your career. However, in all likelihood, your conversation will be something along the lines of, "Do you breathe air?" Um, last I checked. "Perfect! You really get my vision."

Though it's hard not to burst into tears and scream 'yes' like Meg Ryan faking it in Katz Deli, it is appropriate, and just good manners, to give everyone who has spent their valuable time reading your partial or full an opportunity to consider the work. Take a little time (like a week) to hear everyone out. After all, you're sitting on a definite yes.

#13 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'll restart this interesting forum with my "The Call" story...

On a Wednesday in July at about 1pm, I sent three email queries out, bang, bang, bang. I had gotten in the habit of sending two or three every other day and not looking back, so burned out from form rejections had I become.

Fifteen minutes after sending those three queries, one of the 3 agents called me. Yes, that's right, called me. He said he was on the road but that his partner had seen my query and called him and read it to him, so up his alley she thought it was. He agreed it sounded interesting and asked if I could send the MS that afternoon so he could read it that night. After a little bit of stuttering and wetting of the britches, I assured him that I could probably manage emailing it to him 'sometime this afternoon'. I spent the next 20 minutes staring into space and replaying the conversation in my head. Was this real? I went online and double checked and, YES, he was one of the agents I would have killed to have. I changed my drawers and emailed the MS...though not in that order.

The next morning I got "the call". He told me he loved th ebook, even told me his favorite parts, and said he'd like to work with me. Everything I had read, everything I had learned, and everythign I had promised I would do when this moment came was out the window. We talked for 45 minutes, him telling me about where he saw the book, what audeince, what publishers, etc. and when he was done, in response to his offer for representation, I actually said "Please don't be offended by this question but...is this for real? You really are so and so, right?" He laughed loud and heartily and assured me he was. He even gave me his direct line and cell phone in case I wanted to call back and test him. I knew he was the one for me.
"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

#14 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hi M,

That's a great story. Congratulations. What I find interesting is that the agent read the MS overnight.

You give us all hope.

#15 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Though, if you're lucky and achieve some small amount of lucidity during the call, perhaps you might recall bits of the important parts of the guide, like asking questions about the agent's ideas for the book and your career. However, in all likelihood, your conversation will be something along the lines of, "Do you breathe air?" Um, last I checked. "Perfect! You really get my vision."

This made me laugh--and remember that the only question I could think to ask... I asked twice. Duh. gosh!: But my agent still left the offer of representation open to me. So, I guess that sort of thing is common.

(Oh, and yes, I liked the answer both times.)

#16 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

Geez the only call I ever get is from Nature...

#17 SLDuncan

SLDuncan

Mister Doubtfire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Books. Comics. Ill advised emails. Represented by John Rudolph of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management. THE EVOLUTION OF GABRIEL ADAM (Book 3, The Revelation Saga Medallion Press - August, 2016).

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

This made me laugh--and remember that the only question I could think to ask... I asked twice. Duh. Posted Image But my agent still left the offer of representation open to me. So, I guess that sort of thing is common.

(Oh, and yes, I liked the answer both times.)

Ha! I hope they weren't, "Is this some kind of joke?" and "Are you sure this isn't some kind of joke?" Because that's the only question that kept bouncing around my noggin.

#18 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

Short story, THE DROWNER, placed Highly Commended in InkTears 2014 international short story competition.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook and paperback at all leading online retailers.

THE BEACON THRONES(Book Two in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook and paperback at all leading online retailers.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Thank you fellow AQCers, for putting up your Call Stories on here. And also for the links. All this information has been very interesting and very insightful! :smile:

cover-art-kin-seeker-text-2-100x150.jpg                            cover-art-beacon-thrones-3-100x150.jpg                            final-flight-ebook-cover-100x150.jpg
KIN SEEKER                                    BEACON THRONES                        FINAL FLIGHT
Book One of Dragon Calling         Book Two of Dragon Calling           Starsea Press
Starsea Press                                  Starsea Press

Facebook                                       Facebook
Goodreads                                     Goodreads
Pinterest                                         Pinterest

#19 kmcoile

kmcoile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:As a licensed attorney for nearly twenty years, I have had numerous legal and healthcare articles published. I have completed my first novel and started my second, and am currently working with regional agent in Southeast.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm thrilled and excited to have received an offer from an agent! yippee! but also since I was an attorney in a previous life, I am looking at the proposed agency agreement with some skepticism. As I am trying to track down a good local contracts attorney (my old law firm is representing the agent so is conflicted out), I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any feedback on two important points. One - the term of this agreement is 5 years - 5 years! I am very uncomfortable with that, and two - it covers all subsequent works, and I am working on sequel novel which I told agent about and they thought that was great and would help in the marketing. So I see why he'd want it covered, but then again I'm new to this so hate to lock up everything I do in one agreement. thanks so much!!!

#20 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Five years is VERY long imho. There are generally two ways that representation is set up -- by book (you and agent agree he will represent work X and sometimes there is a time period, e.g. for one year starting when the manuscript is considered ready for submission to publishers) or by time period (beginning on x date for two years and covering all works written or submitted in that period). You are clearly talking about plan B here but I have never heard of an agreement for a period longer than 2 years. That doesn't mean they don't exist but jeepers. What's the termination clause look like? I had better be pretty liberal.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users