#21 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Perhaps the length is a function of the desire for "all works," since the third book won't be written for a while. Ditto what Litgal said.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#22 kmcoile

kmcoile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:As a licensed attorney for nearly twenty years, I have had numerous legal and healthcare articles published. I have completed my first novel and started my second, and am currently working with regional agent in Southeast.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Sophie. Termination is 120 days notice which also seems incredibly long and it only applies AFTER the initial term which is the 5 years. it's awkward b/c I know the attorneys who drafted this agreement (I used to work at that firm in different area) but it's such a pro-agent contract it's a little crazy...hopefully he is open to major modifications I guess we'll see. Appreciate your feedback this is my first offer and my first novel so I wanted to make sure my gut reactions weren't out of line! thanks!

#23 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

It's also VERY odd that this agent needed a contract drawn up. Most experienced agents have one already and just make minor changes as needed for each client. ARE YOU SURE this agent is the real deal? The 120 days is OUTRAGEOUS but NOT AS OUTRAGEOUS as having NO WAY OUT for 5 years. What if the agent just lets your work sit (it happened to a friend of mine) and never submits? I think I'd run not walk away from this deal.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#24 kmcoile

kmcoile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:As a licensed attorney for nearly twenty years, I have had numerous legal and healthcare articles published. I have completed my first novel and started my second, and am currently working with regional agent in Southeast.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Pete that makes sense since I'm just in very beginning of 2nd novel so it will be a long time to even contemplate a third! and thanks for contact re: attorney if I don't find one locally (I'm in Nashville) I'll look into it...

#25 Christelle

Christelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAfrica
  • Publishing Experience:Had a short story published in a local magazine

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thank you very much for the fantastic information. I now have a printed list next to my phone and is ready for THE CALL! :smile:
I love to write a good story

@Stella_Del

A link to my website.

#26 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

I love my agent and hope to be working with him 5, 10 ad 15 years from now. However, I think I would have run the other way from a five year contract with no out.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#27 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

InTown Books

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am the founder of InTown Books, a boutique of fantasy, paranormal, mystery, and historical romance that is dedicated to publishing and promoting authors.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Geez the only call I ever get is from Nature...

Tom, I love your humor! But you know this by now. :tongue:

By the way, keep it straight when you will get the real call. Be cool. :cool:

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

http://www.intownbooks.net

www.the-transylvanians.com

#28 Freckles

Freckles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:short articles

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Perhaps the more seasoned writers among us could give advice as to how to find a legitimate literary agent. I just finished a memoir which I wrote on the urging of my children, it's about my growing up in colonial era in Asia in the 50's and 60's.

Today I got a contract from GILBERT LITERARY AGENCY
Subsidiary of Hawkspurr Productions but I am not sure whether this is a agent that I could trust. Is it usual for an agent to ask for $45 upfront? (see below)

"Note: Apart from this one-off only ‘voluntary’ token fee contribution of Forty-Five ($45.00USD) dollars only, the Agency shall continue to provide ongoing ‘upfront’ financial support and is to cover all other associated costs referred to as ‘Reimbursable Expenses’, which may be incurred to the Agency on behalf of the client during client representation’ to publishers. ‘Reimbursable Expenses’ are solely pertaining to costs whereby the Agent may consider it expedient to provide ‘hard copy of ‘works’ to those publishers who do not provide electronic online facilities, but who will accept this method of manuscript submissions. However, this action is not followed up on or without prior consent and the approval of the Author first."

Any help is appreciated

#29 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

From what I've read, a reputable agent doesn't ask for any fees (including costs) up front.

Your best bet is to Google the name of the agency and add the word "complaint", "scam" "for real", etc and see what type of info you find.
"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

#30 Angie Sandro

Angie Sandro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:DARK CONFESSIONS (Dark Paradise novella, #4.5) releases 02/09/16, from Grand Central/Forever Yours.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

A legitimate agent wouldn't ask for money. They are Not Recommended by Preditors and Editors. Here is the link: http://pred-ed.com/pealg.htm

Angie Sandro

Find me:

Facebook / Blog / Twitter / Amazon / Goodreads

615IvQY4rQL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 51RDU1vkC1L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 512cVEX5ffL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 61SWQHcL97L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 28673721.jpg

#31 D.V.Perry

D.V.Perry

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet, but I will be no matter what.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Quick question guys. If you queried the agents last year in say November, would it be around this time for them to reply back? Or when is the normal time for agencies to reopen their doors?

Trying to achieve my dream one smile at a time.

#32 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Unless an agency (or agent) posts that they are closed to queries, I don't know if there is any reopening of doors. 

But, as far as how long should you wait to expect to hear back from a certain agent...that is one where there is no right answer.  The longest I ever waited for a form rejection was 6 months.  The shortest I ever waited was twelve minutes. 

The longest I ever waited for a request was 6 months (though most have never been longer than 6 weeks), and the shortest I ever waited for a request was fifteen minutes.

So, to answer your question...anywhere in between those spectrums.

A good rule of thumb...if you haven't heard back in 2 months...move on. 

"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

#33 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

I guess I'm kind of an "expert" in The Call at this point, since I did it five times within one week, and three times in a single day. :blush: One of them was a cold-call. (I'd love to have been wearing a heart monitor at the time to see what happened to my heart rate.)

I think the biggest thing about The Call is being prepared with some questions (a printout is good, because yeah, your brain will freeze), and then checking them off as the agent answers. A lot of the answers happened during the first half of the conversation where the agent did most of the talking, before I even asked.

Also, every agent I talked to said if I thought of more questions to please feel free to email them. Don't be afraid to take advantage of that. As my agent said, "I love questions!" I think most of them do. Especially from writers they're hoping to sign.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#34 BB_

BB_

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:"Bastial Energy" "The Sartious Mage" "Bastial Steel" "Bastial Explosion" "Bastial Frenzy" (Amazon)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Very helpful stuff in this thread. It would be nice to think I could be as stone-faced as the camel beside this post during the call, but if/when it happens, I'm pretty sure wet britches (as others mentioned) would be more likely.

mk9i.jpg fdxm.jpg

#35 xxx

xxx

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:xxx

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Pete, is that you? I hadn't heard your story before.

Although, three submissions ain't terribly impressive.

#36 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thank you for your opinion, Steve. Good thing I'm not trying to impress you.

Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#37 SC_Author

SC_Author

Veteran Hufflepuff Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some poetry

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I think even GETTING to the submission stage is incredibly, terribly, amazingly impressive, Steve. You've impressed the rest of us :)
SC_Author on Twitter

and SCWrite.blogspot.com for my blog :)

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#38 D.V.Perry

D.V.Perry

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet, but I will be no matter what.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

All of these are such wonderful, inspiring stories. I seriously can't wait to add my own story to this forum. I'll love to describe my OMG moment lol.
Trying to achieve my dream one smile at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users