#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

Here's our Agent Symposium about how agents prepare to pitch a client's manuscript to publishing editors...

http://www.agentquery.com/symposium_pitcheditors.aspx

But feel free to post other blog posts and links about this process in this thread.

Or, for the benefit of other AQC members to read and ask questions...feel free to start a new thread in this group, citing your own experience with going out on submission

#2 ravage

ravage

Moo ha ha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Ok, there are two very important factors here.

#1. The pitch. Does anyone have an example of an agent's pitch? I can't even begin to imagine how instructive this would be to the query process.

#2. Can they sell it? This goes right along with the pitch, which ios also part of those relationships they have with the publishing folks, you know, the relationships we don't have.

It seems to me, if we could see a couple pitches, we could all make a quantum leap in understanding how to shop our MS to agents.
The aim of any fiction writer is the same as the satirist. Without satire, we are stuck with the bland truth.

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

My understanding is that some agents write a pitch from scratch, but (many?) others have said they largely use a modified version of the query. Others who actually have been/are on submission might have more insight, though.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

#2. Can they sell it? This goes right along with the pitch, which is also part of those relationships they have with the publishing folks, you know, the relationships we don't have.

My sense from having been on submission twice (once near-miss-but-no-sale and the second time with a book that sold) is that the rejationships the agents have with editors is VERY important. If an editor has known an agent for years (profitably -- meaning he/she has bought books from the agent before and seen what the agent has sold to other houses) she/he has a certain level of faith/trust in the agent's "taste." So when the agent comes to them and says "I have this brilliant story about 13th century sisters who were also queens by a wondeful new writer that I know will be a good fit with your imprint" the editor at least has a sense your agent isn't blowing smoke.

While I think agents "pitch" I get the sense that there is more of a conversation than a query letter pitch allows. For example I know that my agent never sent my manuscripts and his cover letter to any editor he hadn't personally discussed the book with in advance and who hadn't said they wanted to see it. Few authors have that luxuary (unless they meet an agent at a conference) when pitching agents.

I think seeing a few agent pitches would be brilliant but I can't imagine how we ever would be privy to them. And I can't imagine an agent offering real-life examples up to be posted on line.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Very informative blog post to add to the "what to expect while on submission" canon http://betweenfactan...submitting.html

#6 Robbin

Robbin

Robbin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Very informative blog post to add to the "what to expect while on submission" canon http://betweenfactan...submitting.html

Litgal, thank you! Great site. I've added her to my google reader :)

Robbin Luckett
YA Writer

#7 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

An important post on why you must take a long-term view once you are agented. Submission is not for the faint of heart and it may take more than one MS to get your deal.

http://cjredwine.blo...668876803362666

#8 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the link. I found that inspiring actually.

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#9 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Oh yes, I did too.

#10 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for sharing. Her About Me section had me in tears. Of course, I'm probably way too lovey dovey on fellow Johnny Depp lovahs.

#11 Randy

Randy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:To be determined by my agent. =}

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

I'm not surprised to see you still got it, Litgal. Great posts.

In terms of pitch's ravage, the process is different between writer/agent and agent/editor. However, they are similar in personalizing, but that may be the only similarity. As far as expanding the query, as RC points out, that's what my agent did. At firsdt, I was stunned because it didn't fit my idea, but that's where the explanation of personlizing the editors came in. Sure I embarrassed the hell out of myself, but I'll never have to ask that question again. =}
The greatest personal defeat of any writer is not what they have written, but is afraid to write.

#12 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

While I haven't actually seen 'the pitch' my agent sends to agents, I have been privy to some of the back and forth between him and editors. And can I just say that his arguments for my work are AMAZING. He stuns me. For example, an editor asks him a question about my platform (He's sending out nonfiction) or the market and he provides them with an incredible argument for the book. This is something that I could not do on my own. In fact, he saw what I had and the timeliness with what's up in the world at the moment (something I hadn't connected the dots to) and put them together. He's an amazing cheerleader for the project.

As it has been suggested, going out on submission is not for the faint of heart! And I certainly would not want to do it alone. There is so much more than just a pitch sent off willy-nilly to an editor.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#13 RileyRedgate

RileyRedgate

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, SEVEN WAYS WE LIE, was released in March 2016 by Abrams and optioned for film by Jane Startz Productions. My sophomore novel, NOTEWORTHY, hits shelves May 2017.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'd like to put in a plug for BBC's awesome blog series about the mysterious submission process. It really shows how different people's experiences can be, and what to anticipate. It sounds stressful, but in a weird terrifying quasi-masochistic way, fun! (much like querying heh heh)

Yay BBC!

Submission Hell: It's True. Yes... it's the SHIT.

author of SEVEN WAYS WE LIE and NOTEWORTHY

rep: Caryn Wiseman, Andrea Brown Literary Agency

i tweet!

#14 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this, anticipa. Ms. Winters' book sounds intriguing. I hope I can keep up the good fight as she did.

#15 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

An important post on why you must take a long-term view once you are agented. Submission is not for the faint of heart and it may take more than one MS to get your deal.

http://cjredwine.blo...668876803362666

Exactly. I went out on submission, and it didn't go. Wrote another book, which Agent Lady really just didn't dig. I then wrote ANOTHER book, which she dug, and it went out, and sold within a few months. It's really about "the long game". Regarding what or how Agent Lady pitches, I think her rep allows her to say to editors "hey, you just gotta read this, man!" and they give it a shot. She's INSANELY great with regards to finding the RIGHT editor for the RIGHT book. She really leaves no stone unturned, and that's what a good agent does for their clients when going through the submission phase of the relationship, imo.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#16 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

When I was out on submission, I did see my agent's pitch letter (for my fiction, versus non fic), and it was a modified version of my query. Actually, looking at it, I was sort of like "Damn! So THAT's what my ideal query would have been." lol. But yes, the long haul, not only with the agent but the agency. I lost my agent half way through submission when the agency stopped repping adult fiction.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#17 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Another blog on submission. This fellow is a little more downbeat but all perspectives are doubtless worth sharing. http://bookpregnant....me-to-hell.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users