#1 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

I busy constructing the sequel to my last book.  A key character has been a sniper in Afghanistan, but has accepted discharge, come home to the states, had a conflict with his family, and walked into the wilderness to live alone.

I think he is armed with the closest civilian equivalent of one of the Afghani sniper rifles, but without a scope or other techno advantages.  This guy wants to be permitted to miss when he's trying to shoot a deer.

Anybody want to chime in?

#2 Fer

Fer

Caution, do not feed!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published: The Order of the Knight and Blood Betrayal.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Mmhh I am no expert and someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't snipers have to learn how to shoot with any gun? Even those with out modern technology?

418%2BNxETuOL._AA160_.jpg 41Qo%2BM9WDpL._AA160_.jpg

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Sorry Fer.  Don't get your point. Yes.

#4 Fer

Fer

Caution, do not feed!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published: The Order of the Knight and Blood Betrayal.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Then I am afraid that I miss understood your question. :wacko:

418%2BNxETuOL._AA160_.jpg 41Qo%2BM9WDpL._AA160_.jpg

#5 CFAmick

CFAmick

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Sick and tired of spinning my wheels not writing an effective query. I need some help, STAT!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Maybe his miss is because of his mental and emotional state and not his skill set.

#6 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

No scope.  No laser tag.  Just iron sights and the discipline of self control.  Military snipers make themselves into machines and are integrated with a machine.  My hero wants to remove the big technical advantages.  Heck maybe I should make him hunt with a longbow.

#7 Magnanimoe

Magnanimoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My mother once taped a paper of mine to the refrigerator

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Why does he want to ditch the tech? Is it for a greater challenge, or out of some humane sense of leveling the playing field for the deer? I was not a sniper by any means but qualified on the rifle range many times in the US Marine Corps with only iron sights at up to 500 yards. For me, sudden change in wind direction or velocity was always the bitch. And those were stationary targets.

#8 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

He's trying to give the deer an even chance because with tech he'd just collecting meat.

#9 CFAmick

CFAmick

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Sick and tired of spinning my wheels not writing an effective query. I need some help, STAT!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

I like that. A longbow would be cool.

#10 Magnanimoe

Magnanimoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My mother once taped a paper of mine to the refrigerator

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

He seems intent on establishing a sense of justice on his own terms, and immediately after "accepting discharge" and having conflict with his family. It sounds like there are plenty of potential sources of inner conflict that could be a result of some injustices he either witnessed (or participated in) in Afghanistan or experienced from his family. Giving the deer a chance conflicts with his prior duties as a sniper, where he used the tech to make sure a human being had no chance. Interesting.

#11 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

You've got it magnanimoe. However, this was designed as a sequel to the novel I have finished. I don't think I'm going to develop this further unless a publisher asks for a sequel.

#12 Magnanimoe

Magnanimoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, that sounds like the right thing to do. 

Of course, if you wanted to make him totally badass, he should be armed only with a rusty screwdriver and a P38 can opener  :smile:

Best of luck!

#13 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Might I suggest a Ruger Number One? Beautiful rifle, precision made, single shot. Available in several calibers. A rifle like this makes a statement all by itself IMHO.

#14 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I also have a strong preference for the Mannlicher style stock if you want even more of my opinion ;)

#15 JuliaR

JuliaR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

AR 15 is a good civilian version of the M16.  I'm in the Army Reserves so that would be my weapon of choice with the iron sights and probaby a tripod to stabilize the weapon as opposed to holding it. 

#16 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

The M-16 or AR-15 would make a terrible sniper's weapon.  I should know I used to use one.  The sniper's in our Platoon were long ago using a souped M-14 bolt action rifle instead.

Maybe we should just close this topic.  I was asking if anyone happened to be an expert sniper and clearly none of us are.

#17 JuliaR

JuliaR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

The M-16 or AR-15 would make a terrible sniper's weapon.  I should know I used to use one.  The sniper's in our Platoon were long ago using a souped M-14 bolt action rifle instead.

Maybe we should just close this topic.  I was asking if anyone happened to be an expert sniper and clearly none of us are.

I'm definitely not a sniper.  I can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Last time we went to the range with my unit I shot 23 out of 40.  LOL. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users