11 replies to this topic

#1 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:U.S. and abroad.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm finally getting better at navigating around Goodreads, but I am discovering that there are many rules to learn. The one that's emphasized a lot is to not respond to negative reviews or spam your friends which seems obvious, but I wish there was a comprehensive list of do's and don'ts that I could consult. Maybe there's already a thread on AQC about this? 

#2 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Here is the link to the author guidelines: http://www.goodreads...thor/guidelines

Use your common sense, and don't forget the social aspect of GR. People go there to discuss books and find their next book to read, not to be spammed and harassed by authors.

Every author will get negative reviews at some stage, if you can't handle criticism then don't publish your work, but under no circumstances attack/argue or otherwise stalk a reviewer who you don't personally agree with. Sounds obvious I know, but you'd be surprised the lengths some authors will go to, to try and keep 1-3 star reviews off their book on GRs.

#3 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the link. I've read those guidelines before, but they're good to reread. Your advice is on target. I'm just trying to sort out all the nuances of Goodreads. For example, is it okay to "like" a good review or thank the reviewer?

#4 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Personally, I wouldn't touch a review, whether good or bad. I don't want reviewers to have the feeling of the author watching over their shoulder, because reviews are for readers, not for me.

The only exception I might make is if a reviewer specifically @'d me on Twitter about their review. Then I'd probably say thanks (assuming it's a good review), because they made contact with me first.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#5 Guest_derrick.jaxn_*

Guest_derrick.jaxn_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thank you for the link of good reads!

#6 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

I don't interact at all with reviewers on GR. I don't "like" reviews or comment. Those reviews are not there for me, they are there for people thinking about picking up my book.

They only exception is I write a bit about the book in my author review, and some readers chose to interact with me there. For example, there has been a delay with my sequel, so I post updates & snippets for those following that review.

Where book bloggers have taken the time to do a review I always drop in and thank them for their time in their blog comments.

#7 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

This discussion is very helpful. What about "friending" and "following" on GR? I read somewhere online that authors should friend everyone who writes a good review. Is that a good idea?

#8 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I haven't heard that, and I don't think I would, personally. Again, that's me going out and initiating contact with the reviewer in a readers' space. If they friend me first, that's different. I accept almost all friend requests on Goodreads ... but only mark those I really know as "Top Friends" (which keeps my feed more manageable).

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#9 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Personally I wouldn't friend or follow a reviewer. There are issues with *some* authors friending & spamming GR members, so while you might think its ok, someone being spammed might not see it that way.

Life will be much easier if you just. don't. go. near. reviews.

#10 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks, RC and AW. This discussion is very informative. I have "liked" a few reviews, so I'll think twice before I do that again.

#11 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I think even "liking" reviews can be taken the wrong way. For example, do you "like" ALL reviews? If not, why not?

Are you liking the star rating or the fact a reviewer took the time and effort to leave a review? A 5-star that simply says "I freakin' LUV this book" doesn't take as much effort/thought as a 1-star that outlines what the reviewer saw as weak points in plot, characterisation, research or whatever didn't work from their POV. To me it's all or nothing - you either like all reviews or none. Otherwise you are exercising your judgement as to which reviews you approve of, which *can* be taken the wrong way, should some people go looking for things to take the wrong way.

When it comes to reviews, I follow the Prime Directive - no interference :smile:

#12 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I only "liked" the ones that offered me a movie deal :wink:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users