46 replies to this topic

#41 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Gemini Lynx (privately published Star Trek novel) 1983
    Persephone's Song (novel), 1992
    Many poems on-line from my O George Bush! collection
    Long poem in Cost of Freedom (anti Iraq war anthology)
    Non-political poetry in The Lyric
    Long narrative poem: Cat Lady

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

Honestly?  No!  Writing may be my dream but dealing with this craziness is my nightmare.

I don't even know what language you are speaking, but it's not one I have ever studied.  Words like beta, shatterbox, format, goodreads, what on Earth can these things possibly be?  And how can anyone possible "promote it yourself" unless you are a Kardashian or something? Sorry, I don't have my own reality show.  I would not know where to even begin.  So I see my only possible option is number 4, stuff back in drawer and let a literary executor deal with this craziness once I'm outta here.

I'm getting sick form the stress and nothing is worth it, so if you can deal with the craziness, good for you, good-bye from Lynx and good luck to you.

#42 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

I've got a question about ISBNs. I know I can purchase them from the place mentioned before, 10 for 250, however - hypothetically, when I publish through KDP (physical book and an ebook), do I use one of those ISBNs and just type it into the little text box when prompted? 

Does that ISBN then belong to that book forever? I'm confused about how the ISBN assignment works. 

I'm definately going the self-pub route, I'm just not sure which direction. I could go with Amazon and do it for free, doing the legal stuff and formating myself, or go with this company that will do all that for around 400 dollars, but just for an ebook. I'd like a print option too, but there is so much legal whatnot that I'm afraid I'll miss something. Like the copyright page in the front of the book that has all that information on it. Can I file for copyright before I publish or do I have to do so only after it's live? If I don't file before, can I legally put "copyright by me" on the inside? And then there's that paragraph that I've been seeing a lot of, about how characters in the book are purely fictional, blah blah. 

Also, how would I go about getting an LCCN? Or does is that not a have-to when I self-pub?

#43 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

I visited Bowker just now, and I have another one - what is the advantage/disadvantage of buying 1 ISBN versus 10? 

Ideally, I would like publish more than one book, so the ten would be a wise investment?

One more - Bowker also has "+ copyrightnow" thing. Is that...good? Or should I just woman up and file for my own copyright?

#44 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

For my ebooks, I used the Amazon assigned ASIN. For my paperbacks published via Createspace and my Babelcube books, I used the number that Createspace and Bablecube assigned. From my point of view, I don't think there is any reason to obtain ISBNs unless you have reason to expect your books will appear in brick and mortar shops and\or the New York Times Best Seller list.

If you've written the next run away best seller, some agent would have already picked it up. On the other hand, there is money to be made by self publishing. One of the keys to successful self-publishing is keeping your costs to a minimum. I don't think one should spend more than $25 to publish a book. That's about the cost of rights to use a graphic. Make your own cover. Create your own ebook. Publish for free via Amazon KDP, CreateSpace, Audible and Babelcube.

I'm not an attorney but I don't believe you need to be concerned about "filing" of a copyright. Your books is yours. Publishing or self publishing it before anyone else, in my opinion, establishes proof of copyright. I've successfully defended my copyright more times than I can recall simply by asserting it via email to web sites that have offered pirated copies of my ebooks for free.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#45 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Mark, 

Thanks! 250 is a lot of money right now, and it would take me twenty years to write nine more books. 

#46 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:51 AM

I'm definately going the self-pub route, I'm just not sure which direction. I could go with Amazon and do it for free, doing the legal stuff and formating myself, or go with this company that will do all that for around 400 dollars, but just for an ebook. I'd like a print option too, but there is so much legal whatnot that I'm afraid I'll miss something. Like the copyright page in the front of the book that has all that information on it. Can I file for copyright before I publish or do I have to do so only after it's live? If I don't file before, can I legally put "copyright by me" on the inside? And then there's that paragraph that I've been seeing a lot of, about how characters in the book are purely fictional, blah blah. 

Also, how would I go about getting an LCCN? Or does is that not a have-to when I self-pub?

Filing for copyright costs $35.  After you publish the ebook or print book, you file for the copyright.  http://www.copyright.gov/

We highly recommend doing it shortly after you publish your ebook to Amazon.  Amazon has been known to come back to you and ask you to prove that you actually own the rights to the work (there's all sorts of reasons for this, but one of them is that piracy is alive and well on the internet).  

Anyway, it takes months and months for the Copyright Office to actually process your official copyright paperwork.  $35 is a no brainer to protect your ability to self-publish your own book, and have no one call into question whether or not you are truly the copyright owner.

#47 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

That's a very good reason! Thank you! I don't want there to be any question as to who owns my works. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users