2 replies to this topic

#1 imustbecrazy

imustbecrazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I self published my memoirs on December 5th.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have finished my memoirs and had it edited.  What do I do now?  Do I look for a publisher directly, or try to find and agent?  And how do I go about each of those things? Any advice would be appreciated. 

#2 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

If you want an agent or a publisher, you'll need a query letter. That should probably be your next step while you research agents and publishers. Most of the big publishers don't accept submissions unless they come from an agent. 

Check out the query forum for examples of queries. 

25815723.jpg  29242455.jpg  16415686.jpg   18159598.jpg  20957949.jpg   

Blog: It's in the Details
Twitter

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

I agree with Michelle. Memoir is queried like fiction. Share it in the query forum, and make your tweaks and changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users