#1 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

This option used to cost $25 but is now free. It appears that some authors participating in ED (wow bad choice of acronym, huh?) had to increase their prices to cover the basic expenses from these additional channels. Anybody have any experience with Createspace's expanded distribution channels?

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

This is good to know. When I start using it again I'll opt in this time.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Darke,

It's not too late to add free expanded distribution to a previously published Createspace book.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#4 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

No, I took down the one book I had there. No sales. I do better with ebooks.  

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that, and I just published a book there recently. I'll look into it again.

#6 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's good news Mark. I was looking at that just last week and having an issue. With the size of my book I was already running into issues with prices. The ED was actually returning a negative number to me. I'll have to check it out again.

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#7 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

That's good news Mark. I was looking at that just last week and having an issue. With the size of my book I was already running into issues with prices. The ED was actually returning a negative number to me. I'll have to check it out again.

Andrew,

The price issue you mentioned is the reason I haven't participated. I'm not that keen on the whole paperback pricing\royalty dynamic to begin with. When I sell a paperback thru Amazon, I earn much less of a royalty than I do from Createspace even though Amazon owns both companies. I think my ED royalty drops to only 23ยข on a $7.99 book. It doesn't seem right an author should receive so little and the reader should pay so much. I like the ebook model better. Reader pays only $2.99 and the author earns about $2.00.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#8 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

POD is just never going to have a great profit for the author. Printing a single book at a time is more expensive than doing a print-run of several hundred/thousand. Plenty of authors make it work with just eBooks, but depending on your audience, you may have a large contingent of people who still want the print book. Is it worth catering to them for a few cents? Maybe ... because if you hook them as readers/fans, they may remember you if they make the jump to e-reading.

As for why there's a significant difference between selling through CreateSpace vs. Amazon, no idea. Some kind of increased overhead?

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#9 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

For what it's worth, with two years of sales under our belt, EBP has done far and away better on electronic books. I haven't sold a print version of Spring Fevers, for example, in more than a year. We "sell" (in quotes because they're free) the e-version on average 70 copies a month, even though it was released in February 2012.

#10 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

I sold ONE print copy of a combined book one and two in two years.   

#11 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

POD is just never going to have a great profit for the author. Printing a single book at a time is more expensive than doing a print-run of several hundred/thousand.

I think RC is right. The economics of paper books are very different. I've got two, now three paperbacks available at Createspace and Amazon. Most paper purchases were made by friends who don't like to use e-readers. A few other sales were to folks I don't know and I was shocked to see two paperback sales the other day (two different books)

On the other hand, I've been pretty lucky with the digital side. I've been selling ebooks (primarily Kindle format) pretty regularly. What really surprised me though was the number of audio books I sold. Some days, I sold more audiobooks than I did ebooks. Audio is way more profitable for me than paper. I'd encourage eveyone to look into audiobook editions for their books. Royalty share deals cost nothing except time and the expense, if any, of a reformatted (square 2400x2400 pixel) cover. You can audition narrators and if you don't find one you like, you don't need to go any further with it.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#12 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Interesting, Mark.

#13 Jennie

Jennie

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:DAMSELFLY and SUGAR PLUM are out now.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think that with the new Matchbook program Amazon has rolled out, it's going to become more important to have print books available. In case anyone is unfamiliar with it, the program allows the publisher to set a lower price for an ebook if a customer has bought the print book. You can even offer the ebook for free if they buy the print book.

Follow me on Twitter, Like me on Facebook. Shelve me on Goodreads.  Check out my other work as an artist. 

#14 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

I think that with the new Matchbook program Amazon has rolled out, it's going to become more important to have print books available. In case anyone is unfamiliar with it, the program allows the publisher to set a lower price for an ebook if a customer has bought the print book. You can even offer the ebook for free if they buy the print book.

Absolutely. Amazon is ramping up their media consolidation efforts. They also have an audiobook program similar to Matchbook, called Whispersync for Voice. Whispersync for Voice allows ebook owners to buy the audiobook edition at a reduced price. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid and see how it goes. I've signed all three of my books up for the Kindle Matchbook program but standard Createspace publishing will suffice. You don't need the CreateSpace Expanded Distribution to participate in the Matchbook program.

Basically, here's the new sales model: Buy a paperback for $6.99, $7.99 or whatever the price may be, get the ebook for half price and the audiobook for whatever price Audible decides to charge. It can be as low as $1.99 (depending on the audiobook.)

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#15 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Originally I didn't have my book listed under the EDP but I went back and changed it. I figured, seeing as it was my debut novel, getting it out and about was primary for me. Will it change anything? Only time will tell.

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#16 David Nees

David Nees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:"After the Fall: Jason's Story", is a full length novel in a post-apocalyptic time in Appalachian Mountains. It is now up on Amazon.

The sequel to "Jason's Tale", After the Fall: "Catherine's Tale, Part 1" and "Part 2" are on Amazon for pre-release; to be released in May, 2017 and June, 2017

Published in the following on-line journals:
    "Dead Guns Press"
    "A Thousand and One Stories"
    "Opening Line Literary 'Zine"

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

Mark said, "What really surprised me though was the number of audio books I sold"  And, "They [Amazon] also have an audiobook program similar to Matchbook, called Whispersync for Voice."  Is this where you marketed your audio books?  Also, how much did it cost to hire a narrator (and how many words did they narrate)?  Multiple channels through Amazon just increases their reach.  I like your idea of the multiple channel discount strategy.

David Nees                        ATF-FINAL.jpg   

Visit my website               After the Fall: Jason's Tale

My Amazon author page

#17 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

I did my audio books at acx.com which is an Amazon affiliate. ACX distributes the completed audio books via Amazon, Audible and Itunes. If your book is available at Amazon, you can list it on acx,com. You can choose to either pay a fee for a narrator or do what I did, offer to split royalties with the narrator so the audio book costs you nothing but what it costs to produce the cover. The narrator is responsible for producing a professional recording that meets ACX standards. All you have to do is listen to the recording and approve them or tell the narrator what's wrong. If you get a good narrator, it's just time consuming as you need to spend the 7 or so hours having your words read to you. If you get a bad narrator, you can spend hours and hours correcting them.

I think it's worth the effort.

Good luck

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users