#1 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Several folks at AQ have self pubbed Kindle edition ebooks at Amazon.com via the KDP (Kindle Desktop Publishing) program. Depending on how they price their books, they can earn either a 35% or a 70% royalty for each book Amazon sells. For this reason, Kindle ebook authors tend to scatter links to their books all over the Internet. Stands to reason. If readers don't know about your book, they're not likely to buy it.

Authors who enroll in the free Amazon Associates program https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/ can earn an additional 4% if someone buys their ebook after clicking the authors link to get to the ebook's Amazon page. There are some additional rules you can research yourself at the Amazon Associates site. For example, I think there's a time limit after clicking during which the reader\buyer must buy. Amazon makes it easy to create a link with your unique associate ID. Just type in an ASIN for your ebook or other product and then you can copy and paste a link (with or without a graphic) that links to Amazon and tells them you sent the buyer to them.

From what I've seen, Amazon Associates can even earn a 4% commission on a sale even if the person who followed the associate's link buys a different product. I made 26ยข when somebody purchased a book that I never even heard of. No, I'm not getting rich off of this. I had only one link out there in a web site that nobody but foreign hackers visited. Recently, though, I decided to give it a try and populated my web site FalafelJones.net with a few links that I thought fit in with my books.

There's a caveat though. Certain web sites, such as Wordpress.com will immediately and abruptly suspend your website if "affiliate" or "click through" links appear on your web site.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Let me guess, you have to solely publish with Amazon, right?

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

No. You don't even need to have a book. Anybody with a website and domain name can sign up. Heck, you could build a website featuring paranormal paraphernalia (if there is such a thing) and link to various products sold at Amazon. I didn't think most AQers would be interested in opening an online store but providing a few links to a few products like your books and items that relate to your books might interest people.

For example, at first my website contained "affiliate" links only to my books at Amazon. Then I added a few links to things like the sandals Max and Mariel wear on the beach. On the web page, I also wrote a little interaction between the characters Max & Mariel with Falafel. Falafel approaches Mariel on the beach and is surprised to see her wearing sandals. Mariel gets creeped out when this stranger Falafel says she told everybody Mariel wears high heels.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#4 authorjanebnight

authorjanebnight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:As of Sept 15 2015 I will have 9 books I have self published using Amazon and Smashwords.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

I did their program for 6 months but even though I put quite a few links out there I never had a purchase from them. After 6 months with no purchases they kick you put pf affiliate program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users