#1 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Writing a pitch for Twitter can be very difficult considering you've only got 140 characters to work with, including spaces, but it can be done. I found this site and it has some great info on creating a great pitch for Twitter. If you have any links that can further help in this process, feel free to post them here. 

http://avajae.blogsp...tter-pitch.html

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#2 Blitzing

Blitzing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:'Melt' in anthology 'Winter's Sweet Kiss' by e-pub

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Nice link :)

~ Shaya Roy ~

www.shayaroy.com

Current query (contemporary romance)  

#3 now

now

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Rendezvous - adventure novella - World Castle, 2013. A wide variety of published short fiction and nonfiction in periodicals and anthologies. Extensive writings at alternativeculture.com/lit/ and hyperlife.net

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for that great info: I'm new to this game. I have a couple of key questions...

How do you find out when the next #PitMad day is? By constantly watching the #PitMad feed?

Is there a standard list of genre abbreviations to use?

thanks!

#4 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for that great info: I'm new to this game. I have a couple of key questions...

How do you find out when the next #PitMad day is? By constantly watching the #PitMad feed?

Is there a standard list of genre abbreviations to use?

thanks!

Generally there is an announcement when the next #pitmad is going to happen, but I would keep my eye on the feed just to make sure. As for the abbreviations, you'd have to do some research on that because I'm not really sure as I don't participate.

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#5 now

now

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Rendezvous - adventure novella - World Castle, 2013. A wide variety of published short fiction and nonfiction in periodicals and anthologies. Extensive writings at alternativeculture.com/lit/ and hyperlife.net

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. Where would such an announcement be made?

#6 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Probably on the feed. If you follow writers who write in your genre/category, they should start tweeting about it when the announcement is made.

#7 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Check the contest announcements on this forum or on the QueryTracker forum. People are very good about letting folks know when the next one is coming. You can also add #Pitmad to your lists on Twitter. They always announce when the next one will be. Brenda Drake helps organize the Twitter pitch events. Here is a link to her blog. If you scroll through the archives, you'll find lots of tips and advice for Twitter pitches:

http://www.brenda-drake.com/

Jeanne

#8 now

now

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Great, thanks for all the advice. I'll follow up on it!

#9 leehotline

leehotline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Leaving this sadly blank... anything published is in very dry scholarly dissertations, totally unlike my fiction work!

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

'now' did you ever work out the #PitMad bit?  It's coming up on 4/12 (mind you I'm going to have problems converting that to Australian time... looks like an all-nighter!!)
Mind you, my biggest problem is working out what to do..... I get it, a tweet in 140 characters, including the necessary hashtags.... but do I just tweet it on my home page, and it mysteriously disappears through the ether and ends up in the right place - or am I supposed to find that 'right place' first... because I can't! Twitter and I are not close friends... can anyone help?

#10 MZM

MZM

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Circuits and Slippers anthology, coming September 2016! http://jayleejames.com/circuits-and-slippers/

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:10 AM

lee, you can use applications like TweekDeck that will let  you schedule tweets ahead of time so you don't have to be up all night. All you do is type in your tweet and choose day and time. You'll want to have a few diferent pitches to send throughout the day but no more than 2 an hour (and you can repeat them, too).

I personally love TweekDeck for PC for this kind of thing, but it has tablet/phone versions as well, I believe.

Maria

#11 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Books two and three releasing in 2018 and 2019.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

lee, you just go to Twitter -- https://twitter.com/ -- and enter your tweet pitch. As long as you include the right hashtag (#PitMad, or whatever it is this time) the tweet will go to the right place. 

You need a Twitter account first, of course.  Easy to set up if you don't already have one.

#12 Carissa

Carissa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, agented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:32 AM

Here's my list of links to Twitter Pitch Contest related things!

Twitter Pitching Guide - Dan Koboldt

Twitter Pitch Tips - Lara Willard

Controversial Advice for Twitter Pitching  - Gina Denny

How to Write a Twitter Pitch - Writeability

And from my blog:

Twitter Pitch Contest Calendar 

Twitter Pitch Recipes: Part 1 | Part 2 |

1000 Winning Pitmad Pitches: Jan 2013 | Mar 2013 | Sept 2014 | Mar 2016

Busting the #1 Twitter Pitch Myth

My Twitter Pitch Tips - Twitterified

Pitch Factory -- A Logline Generator

(for when you need a little comic relief)

Books:
FARLIGHT - YA Sci-Fi 95K (Editing)
Arraka - Outlining + 2K

Blog: http://carissa-taylor.blogspot.com/

Twitter: CarissaATaylor

Instagram: carissawrites

Pinterest: CarissaTaylor

Represented by Jason Anthony of Lippincott Massie McQuilkin

#13 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Solstice Publishing Nov 28, 2016

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:07 AM

http://www.eschlered...r-query-letter/

found this hunting around for ideas which led me here:

http://www.publisher...mance&category=

Andrea Roche

Author: Nights Arose on Amazon

www.Facebook/NightsArose.com

Twitter: @Rose121562

#14 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:27 AM

Very nice links and reads.  

This is my new favorite thing.  

I'm also learning that there's no set way to write the pitch as I've been told or as I've read.  Some say you need to include "what's at stake" and others say that more often that not it's obvious in your choice of words.

The ones listed in that second link you posted JanelleRoche, are great and an example of the latter of what I'm reading.

#15 WriterSteph816

WriterSteph816

Trying to get my book written then hopefully published :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! I am forever in a struggle of how to do this on Twitter successfully!  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  How can you be notified when a pitch war is going on?

"You cannot be good all the time, you have to be good when it's time." Rene Angelil

#16 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

I have no recollection of this thread. Glad it got bumped into currency again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users