22 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

First of all, welcome to AgentQuery Connect (AQC). This all-in-one thread is aimed at helping you learn to post and reply, edit a post, and start a new topic on the AQC discussion boards. If you have questions about this sort of thing, this just might be where you find your answers. (If not, cruise the other topics in this group, there is lots of great stuff hiding here.)

By the way: If you see a great discussion going on and want to chime in or ask a question or for clarification--jump in! Everyone is always welcome.

Posting and Replying:
Basic Post:
  • Scroll to the bottom of the discussion page (topic/thread) you are reading.
  • Find the “Fast Reply” text box at the bottom of the page.
  • Click in that box and type your reply.
  • You will notice above the reply box that you can choose things like bolding, colors, fonts, emoticons, add a link, and more. Use these buttons to "juice up" your post if desired. Keep in mind that ALL CAPS or large font can be construed as shouting.
  • When you are finished typing your reply, click on “post.”

Reply with Quote:
You might use this feature when someone has said something that you specifically want to reply to in a long thread and you would like to quote them for easy reference.
  • Find the post you want to quote.
  • Click on the small “reply” button at the bottom of their post. It has a little plus sign in a green circle.
  • You will now have a box to post your reply in at the bottom of the page that includes that person’s whole post quoted in between some fancy code. (The code is housed in between square brackets: [ ] .)
  • For clarity's sake, you may want to remove parts of their quote--especially if they have a long post and you want to address only one or two of their statements. To do so, simply edit out (delete) the parts that are not relevant to your reply, ensuring that you leave anything intact that is housed between those [square brackets] at the beginning of their quote and then again at the bottom of their quote.
  • Below the square brackets at the end of their quote (says "/quote" which means end of quote), add your reply.
  • When finished, click on “add reply” at the bottom of the page.

Reply with More Than One Quote (multiquote feature):
This is great for those cases where you want to reply and quote several members in one post.
  • Locate the first post you want to quote.
  • Below that post find the “multiquote” button (to the right).
  • Click on “multiquote.”
  • Repeat for all posts you want to quote.
  • A box will pop up saying how many posts you want to quote.
  • When you are ready, click on that popup-type box (bottom right of your page). It will be green and say "Reply to X quoted post(s)."
  • As with the instructions in "reply with quote" above, trim the quotes as required and add your comments after the square brackets.
  • When finished, click on "reply” to post your comments and the relevant quotes.

Editing a Post:
It is inevitable... you have posted something and as soon as you hit “reply” you notice an error, or you forgot to add a link, or what-have-you.
  • Find the post you want to edit. Under that post you will notice an “edit” button with a little pencil icon.
  • Click on "edit."
  • This will bring your post into a box where you can edit it.
  • Make your changes.
  • Click on "save changes."

*Further tip: If you can't find what you need while editing your post, click on the "Use full editor" button below the text box. It will provide you with more features. As well, if you are editing the topic's title (you started the topic such as in the query critique group) using full editor will show you the boxes you need for that edit. (See Editing your Topic's Title below for more details.)

** As well, some folks say they have to right click on the Edit button and select open to edit their title.

Starting a New Topic or Thread:

Note: There are lots of groups on this site, so take a moment and read their descriptions before starting a new topic/thread.

Starting a new topic:
  • Find the group you feel is best for what you want to post. For example, ALL query critiques go in the query critique group. (Exception: Those looking for critiques on a nonfiction query may also consider the nonfiction group.)
  • Once inside that group, click on the big blue button (top right of your page) that says “Start New Topic.”
  • You should now be on a fresh page where you can add a topic title and subtitle/topic description (shows up just below the main title in the discussion topic pages).
  • In the empty, white text box, type your post.
  • When ready, click on “post new topic.”

Editing Your Topic’s Title and Subtitle:
For those of you posting your queries for critique in the query critique group, this is something you will need later to help you draw attention to any revisions you might post on your query. For greater success, see more rules about posting queries for critiques here.

• Click on the “edit” button (blueish text) under the first post in your topic thread.
  • Your post will now be in an editable box.
  • Below your editable post, and beside the “save changes” button is a “use full editor” button. Click on “full editor.”
  • At the top of the page you will now be able to see a box for your topic title and one for your subtitle/topic description. Make your changes.
  • At the bottom of the page, click on “save changes” to post your edits.

**If you need a little more help than this How-To provides, this site has many helpful volunteer moderators (like myself) who are happy to help. Send them a message by clicking on their avatar (profile picture). (You can see mine to the left right now.) Please note that while it may say we are logged into the system, we may actually be away from our computers making a living or doing our own writing, so be patient and we'll get back to you. As well, if you are talking about a specific post or thread in your communications with us, PLEASE contain the direct URL/link to the post or thread you are referencing. It saves us a boatload of time if we don't have to do a search through the system for it and then get back to you whether we are correct, wait for confirmation from you... etc.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 billyboy

billyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:One book published in 1995 by a small publisher...now out of print: PROBABLE CAUSE, A Bailey Crane Mystery. Have several manuscripts on the Bailey Crane character...gathering dust: have not made sufficient efforts to publish them. The Bailey Crane books are written from real crimes.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

Hi, Jean,
Just a newbie thanking you for your 'guide' information...and asking a question or two...
In the 'members' section, there are three icons: 'add friend,' 'PM member,' and 'find content.' My member location only shows the 'find content' icon...how do I get the other icons up? Also, if I wish to revise my content, like, birthdate, etc., how do I do that? Thanks for your help.
The site is marvelous! A bit like having a new toy! I'm an older member; been writing most of my life, mostly pulling demons out; have written several books, one published in 1995 by a small publisher; other manuscripts in boxes were never really marketed...'my bad!' is the expression! I'm looking forward to participating in some discussions, hopefully, constructively...and, chatting!
Writing can have different meanings for folks. For me, sure, there are some 'ego' and 'legacy' issues. In these later years, though, it's become more 'the process,' doing it for me, having the mind settle on a word or phrase that says exactly what you want it to say, the way you want to say it. Like every writer, being published is an ultimate goal...me, too!
Some seniors have a 'rambling' way! Sorry about that! Just really wanted to thank you, ask a couple of questions, and make note of the fact that it will be a pleasure communicating with the people on AQC.
Thanks, again.
Billyboy (Billy Ray Chitwood)

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hi, Billyboy, welcome to the site! You don't have to do anything to add the "Add Friend" and "PM member" icons--they show up when the rest of us go to your page. They just don't show up for you because you can't friend or PM yourself. :wink:

To revise your profile content, go to the top right of the page where your user name is shown. Click that (dark blue drop-down menu) and select My Settings. From the page that comes up, click the Profile tab and change/add anything you want. Don't forget to click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you're done.

Feel free to keep asking questions as you learn your way around here. Any of the moderators will be happy to help.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#4 billyboy

billyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:One book published in 1995 by a small publisher...now out of print: PROBABLE CAUSE, A Bailey Crane Mystery. Have several manuscripts on the Bailey Crane character...gathering dust: have not made sufficient efforts to publish them. The Bailey Crane books are written from real crimes.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi, Billyboy, welcome to the site! You don't have to do anything to add the "Add Friend" and "PM member" icons--they show up when the rest of us go to your page. They just don't show up for you because you can't friend or PM yourself. :wink:

To revise your profile content, go to the top right of the page where your user name is shown. Click that (dark blue drop-down menu) and select My Settings. From the page that comes up, click the Profile tab and change/add anything you want. Don't forget to click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you're done.

Feel free to keep asking questions as you learn your way around here. Any of the moderators will be happy to help.

#5 Susan Arscott

Susan Arscott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None yet but I'm hopeful.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

Hi Jean, thanks so much for answering my unspoken questions about how to post my comments. I am new to the site and am feeling a little lost. In fact, I'm still not sure how to introduce myself. Can't seem to find where to type my intro.
Susan

#6 TansyRagwort

TansyRagwort

Guppy Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:One short story in Beyond Centauri, novel coming December 2013 from Immortal Ink Publishing

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

There's a newbie intro thread here,

http://www.immortali...ify.php?book=25

http://www.immortali...books.php?id=25

THE IMPENDING DEMISE OF THE GIRL WITH BROWN EYES coming Dec 2013 from Immortal Ink Publishing.

#7 Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Osborne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Most recently my work has appeared in NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND An Anthology, The Melic Review, Pure Francis, Steam Ticket, and Black Crow

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:46 AM

First of all, welcome to AgentQuery Connect (AQC). This all-in-one thread is aimed at helping you learn to post and reply, edit a post, and start a new topic on the AQC discussion boards. If you have questions about this sort of thing, this just might be where you find your answers. (If not, cruise the other topics in this group, there is lots of great stuff hiding here.)

By the way: If you see a great discussion going on and want to chime in or ask a question or for clarification--jump in! Everyone is always welcome.

Posting and Replying:
Basic Post:

• Scroll to the bottom of the discussion page (topic/thread) you are reading.
  • Find the “Fast Reply” text box at the bottom of the page.
  • Click in that box and type your reply.
  • You will notice above the reply box that you can choose things like bolding, colors, fonts, emoticons, add a link, and more. Use these buttons to "juice up" your post if desired. Keep in mind that ALL CAPS or large font can be construed as shouting.
  • When you are finished typing your reply, click on “post.”

Reply with Quote:
You might use this feature when someone has said something that you specifically want to reply to in a long thread and you would like to quote them for easy reference.
  • Find the post you want to quote.
  • Click on the small “reply” button at the bottom of their post. It has a little plus sign in a green circle.
  • You will now have a box to post your reply in at the bottom of the page that includes that person’s whole post quoted in between some fancy code. (The code is housed in between square brackets: [ ] .)
  • For clarity's sake, you may want to remove parts of their quote--especially if they have a long post and you want to address only one or two of their statements. To do so, simply edit out (delete) the parts that are not relevant to your reply, ensuring that you leave anything intact that is housed between those [square brackets] at the beginning of their quote and then again at the bottom of their quote.
  • Below the square brackets at the end of their quote (says "/quote" which means end of quote), add your reply.
  • When finished, click on “add reply” at the bottom of the page.

Reply with More Than One Quote (multiquote feature):
This is great for those cases where you want to reply and quote several members in one post.
  • Locate the first post you want to quote.
  • Below that post find the “multiquote” button (to the right).
  • Click on “multiquote.”
  • Repeat for all posts you want to quote.
  • When you have selected the posts you want, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “add reply.” (This will not post the quotes on the discussion board yet.) If you do not choose "add reply," the chosen quotes will NOT appear in your posting box where you will be typing your reply.
  • As with the instructions in "reply with quote" above, trim the quotes as required and add your comments after the square brackets.
  • When finished, click on “add reply” again to post your comments and the relevant quotes.

Editing a Post:
It is inevitable... you have posted something and as soon as you hit “reply” you notice an error, or you forgot to add a link, or what-have-you.
  • Find the post you want to edit. Under that post you will notice an “edit” button with a little pencil icon.
  • Click on "edit."
  • This will bring your post into a box where you can edit it.
  • Make your changes.
  • Click on "save changes."

*Further tip: If you can't find what you need while editing your post, click on the "Use full editor" button below the text box. It will provide you with more features. As well, if you are editing the topic's title (you started the topic such as in the query critique group) using full editor will show you the boxes you need for that edit. (See Editing your Topic's Title below for more details.)

Starting a New Topic or Thread:

Note: There are lots of groups on this site, so take a moment and read their descriptions before starting a new topic/thread.

Starting a new topic:
  • Find the group you feel is best for what you want to post. For example, ALL query critiques go in the query critique group. (Exception: Those looking for critiques on a nonfiction query may also consider the nonfiction group.)
  • Once inside that group, click on the big blue button (top right of your page) that says “Start New Topic.”
  • You should now be on a fresh page where you can add a topic title and subtitle/topic description (shows up just below the main title in the discussion topic pages).
  • In the empty, white text box, type your post.
  • When ready, click on “post new topic.”

Editing Your Topic’s Title and Subtitle:
For those of you posting your queries for critique in the query critique group, this is something you will need later to help you draw attention to any revisions you might post on your query. For greater success, see more rules about posting queries for critiques here.

• Click on the “edit” button (green circle with plus sign in it) under the first post in your topic thread.
  • Your post will now be in an edit box.
  • Below your editable post, and beside the “save changes” button is a “use full editor” button. Click on “full editor.”
  • At the top of the page you will now be able to see a box for your topic title and one for your subtitle/topic description. Make your changes.
  • At the bottom of the page, click on “save changes” to post your edits.

**If you need a little more help than this How-To provides, this site has many helpful volunteer moderators (like myself) who are happy to help. Send them a message using the little envelope icon under their profile picture. (You can see mine to the left right now.) Please note that while it may say we are logged into the system, we may actually be away from our computers making a living or doing our own writing, so be patient and we'll get back to you.

#8 Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Osborne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Most recently my work has appeared in NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND An Anthology, The Melic Review, Pure Francis, Steam Ticket, and Black Crow

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:49 AM

Hi Jean,
I'm not new but I sure feel new. I haven't explored the site since it was updated...what? A year ago? Anyway, recovered my username and password and finding my feet. Is there any way to recover old messages? I had saved a few in "messages" and wonder if they're still buried somewhere. Thanks!

#9 s.p.v.

s.p.v.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hi Jean, I am a newbie and so excited to have found a network of writing friends!!! Thanks for all the tips! I look forward to reading and writing with fellow writers.

Thanks Again,
Suzanne

#10 D. E. Jackson

D. E. Jackson

Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:THE CLANDESTINE is available on Amazon and through Goodreads. I've been making up stories since I was little and been writing seriously since 2007, mastering my craft. I'm currently working on book two THE DESIRED.
    My prequel ERASED will hopefully be published soon.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

1.Click on the “edit” button (green circle with plus sign in it) under the first post in your topic thread.

Nevermind. But may I point out that the edit button does not have a green plus sign, it just says edit and has an icon of a pencil beside it. I've been going crazy trying to find a green plus sign edit button. Maybe the site has been revised since the rules were posted? :blush:
519euspeCaL._AA160_.jpg

Goodreadshttps://www.goodread...768.D_E_Jackson

T​WITTER
https://twitter.com/DEJacksonWolf

YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube....emhvA_CyRqAJq7w

Favorite Artist - Adam Hall (my favorite thus far is the tornado)
http://www.adamhallart.com/#intro[color=rgb(0,0,255)]

There is no trick beyond sitting your arse in a chair everyday -Shawn Speakman, Unfettered.

#11 historyquesters

historyquesters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:curriculum only so far

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

As a newbie- and a very technilogically challenged one at that- I am having difficulty posting my query critiques. I cant seem to figure out how to insert my comments in a different color so they can be differentiated from the original text. When I hit the color key on the editor and choose a color all I get is some code inserted before my comment. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to get their original text into the reply to edit other than cutting and pasting?

#12 Peter W

Peter W

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

As a newbie- and a very technilogically challenged one at that- I am having difficulty posting my query critiques. I cant seem to figure out how to insert my comments in a different color so they can be differentiated from the original text. When I hit the color key on the editor and choose a color all I get is some code inserted before my comment. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to get their original text into the reply to edit other than cutting and pasting?

The code is the color :smile: Try preview your post (the button next to add reply) and it should pop up.
If you want to reply directly to the original text you need to press the small "reply" button just next to the button "multiquote", both located in the right corner of each comment.

Hope this helps
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

#13 FineMan

FineMan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

Where is the agent section? Seems to be missing. Help. Also, why am I still locked out of the chat room?
All typos in my work are merely copyright traps

#14 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Where is the agent section? Seems to be missing.

http://agentquery.com/

#15 FineMan

FineMan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

http://agentquery.com/

thanks much.
All typos in my work are merely copyright traps

#16 D. E. Jackson

D. E. Jackson

Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:THE CLANDESTINE is available on Amazon and through Goodreads. I've been making up stories since I was little and been writing seriously since 2007, mastering my craft. I'm currently working on book two THE DESIRED.
    My prequel ERASED will hopefully be published soon.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

About the Edit button, I noticed that with the change back in February, it has also changed. To edit my post and title I now have to right click on the Edit button and select open. Just thought I would pass that along. :happy:
519euspeCaL._AA160_.jpg

Goodreadshttps://www.goodread...768.D_E_Jackson

T​WITTER
https://twitter.com/DEJacksonWolf

YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube....emhvA_CyRqAJq7w

Favorite Artist - Adam Hall (my favorite thus far is the tornado)
http://www.adamhallart.com/#intro[color=rgb(0,0,255)]

There is no trick beyond sitting your arse in a chair everyday -Shawn Speakman, Unfettered.

#17 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, Lia!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#18 drm

drm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:"Fedora" a short story, my most recent pub in Cause & Effect. I'm seeking an agent for my completed novel; also looking into self pub, but it seems so daunting.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'm trying to figure the posting out, but already messed up the Intro. sigh. I think I see reference to a personal/profile page where we can list specific data, but I can locate mine. I search my name and nothing comes up.

#19 YoungWolf

YoungWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Old topic to post in, I know, but I just wanted to echo my thanks to you, Jean. This is very helpful  :smile:

#20 jenyanderson

jenyanderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

I am a newbie and so excited to have found a network of writing friends!!! Thanks for all the tips! I look forward to reading and writing with fellow writers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users