Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi,

My main character has a dark past that has to do with having grown up in a Satanic cult (one of those extreme cults where they do human sacrifices and toast blood to the devil).

Obviously I don't expect anyone on here to be experts on that, but would anybody know of any books about Satanism (rituals, how it's practiced), any crime cases that I can read about, or documentaries? Satanists also deal in the occult and some are even called witches, so resources about that would be helpful too.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/devilsdagger
Friend me on Facebook  http://facebook.com/...ampbell.1291421

#2 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well, I'm not a satanist (far extreme in the other direction as a Christian, actually), but one of my friends is Pagan/Wiccan. From what she's told me, witches don't really believe in Satan. Witchcraft and satanism tend to get lumped together, something I was guilty of before I met my friend, but they're two totally separate beliefs. (Any actual Pagans here can correct me if I'm wrong - obviously I only have information second-hand.)

Have you tried checking out your library for books on religions? When I was working at my small town local library, we had a lot of different books and documentaries on just about every belief imaginable. It might point you in the right direction, anyway. :smile:

#3 Jennie

Jennie

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:DAMSELFLY and SUGAR PLUM are out now.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi Grace,

The satanic cults popularized by the "satanic panic" never existed. I'm sure there are sickos here and there that think they're offering a human sacrifice to Satan, but it's an extremely fringe crime.

The Church of Satan worships the idea of Lucifer but most of the members do not actually believe he is real. They do not do sacrifices and most do not engage in any occult activities. They simply believe that selfishness is a good thing.

That's not to say you can't invent a fictional cult to put into your story. It would actually be easier this way since you won't need to keep it authentic. :)

http://en.wikipedia....ic_ritual_abuse

http://en.wikipedia....i/Satanic_panic

Follow me on Twitter, Like me on Facebook. Shelve me on Goodreads.  Check out my other work as an artist. 

#4 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:MARONA novels:
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

I would like to add to the separation of Wicca from Satanism.  ALSO, there are at least two types of Satanism.  There is the extreme type you mention, which some might label as Satanism (either because they believe that's what they are doing, or because they do not understand the monstrosity of an act and must attribute it to a demonic figure), but others would not.  Then there is a sort of, I'm not sure how to say it, but a semi-ironic type?  One that doesn't involve the death and such, and is more of a critique of the devil and worship of a deity in general.  I believe the work is by Anton Lavey (I may have the spelling incorrect). 

So you may want to do some serious research into it, and be careful to make the proper distinction between everything.

EDIT:  Please don't quote me on this, because it's been a long time since I've done any research (at least a decade), so my information is very fuzzy.

WebsiteOeuvreShopFacebookGoodreadsWattpadTwitter

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

Vendetta (High Fantasy, Heist Elements)
The World Walker (Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy)
Jasmine of the Fireflies (Magical Realism, LGBTQIA+ Romance, Short Story)

#5 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hi,

My main character has a dark past that has to do with having grown up in a Satanic cult (one of those extreme cults where they do human sacrifices and toast blood to the devil).

Obviously I don't expect anyone on here to be experts on that, but would anybody know of any books about Satanism (rituals, how it's practiced), any crime cases that I can read about, or documentaries? Satanists also deal in the occult and some are even called witches, so resources about that would be helpful too.

Please don't confuse Satanism with Satanic cults.  The former is an actual religion misunderstood even worse than Wicca.  The latter are teenage kids rebelling against Christianity. 

From what a friend has explained to me about actual Satanism, it's a religion that worships the "Self" as god rather than an outside deity.  IIRC, they don't even believe in Satan and hell or God and heaven.  In that respect, they're very similar to some Atheists. 

Satanic cults are cliques of kids trying to use Lucifer's name as a type of terrorism.  It's all the worst urban legends of kids trying to fit into a group, combined with a twisted desire to seek any sort of 'higher power'.  Think of it like playing "chicken" with the supernatural, but in the name of a Christian demon.

Also, myself and at least one other author on this site is Wiccan (though I'm currently not practicing ANYTHING due to personal constraints), so I beg you not to try to treat "The Craft" as research of any kind.  And please don't get Wiccans confused for witches with love spells and curses.  In the modern day, that's a laughable mistake. 

Back to the original topic, I seem to remember my friend reading a Satanic Bible.  I also seem to remember a book on Satanic Ritual Sex Magic, but don't quote me on that.  It's been many years since then.  (And before you ask, we're still friends.  They just aren't Satanists anymore.  For them, it was just a phase, I guess.)

I seem to remember a documentary on Nexflix about cults, but it's been a few months since I've renewed my subscription.  I can't seem to remember the title.  I DO remember it saying there hadn't ever been a confirmed sacrifice by a Satanic cult.  It's always a murderer trying to point the finger elsewhere or someone trying to cover up what really happened.

Hope that helps.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#6 Blooded Dragon

Blooded Dragon

Dedicated cynic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

The Satanic bible was written by Levay in the sixties I believe. It was really nothing more than trendy reactionary stuff.

Course, even before Lavey, there was Aleister Crowley who proclaimed himself to be the Anti-Christ (of course, in my opinion, he was just a goofy hedonist). Crowley wrote much on the occult, including the Sefer Sephiroth and invented his own religion, Thelema. I used to hang out with Thelemists myself, but we'd just chat about new agey spirituality and the Kabbalah. The only ritual we ever did was a slight variation of the Catholic mass where we ate a wafer and drank wine....in front of a naked woman...that's it. They weren't bad folks, they were just ordinary people.

For a time I was pretty into the occult myself and even practiced ritual magick. I never summoned the devil or anything like that. It was just fun experimentation.

It you want to create a believable evil cult you may have to do more than research the blacker aspects of the occult. It could be a mainstream cult like Scientology (sorry to any Scientologists out there). There's plenty of cases of mass suicides done by cults. It seems a really good evil cult from Hell would be very subtle and not up front about worshiping the devil.

"Brave, unconcerned, mocking, violent--thus wisdom wants us: she is a woman and loves only a warrior."

-Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra-On Reading and Writing

#7 Grace Campbell

Grace Campbell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hey, thanks everyone! Good points. Hmm, maybe it could be a rare extreme cult that devil worships or perhaps it could be a cult of another kind. I'll have to look up the most feared cults or something like that.

And yeah, already knew Satanism was about worshipping the self. But I read that there are some extremists. Maybe those extremists really do worship the devil. Who knows.

#8 Grace Campbell

Grace Campbell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Or maybe my character's dark past could do with serial killers.

#9 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

It could always be an extremist cult of your own imagining, with no specific label. As Eli pointed out, a lot of times it's someone just trying to rebel. We had a teen that would come into the library who called himself a pagan Satanist, much to the chagrin of my friend. That's how I learned about the differences between the two. In your story, it could be someone who maybe started out on the right track with one of those beliefs, but their own twisted views distorted their desires, thus creating a cult. Or something like that.

#10 Robert Girard

Robert Girard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hostage to the Devil by Malachi Martin is a great source by a credible Jesuit priest with a great deal of experience with exorcisms performed by the Roman Catholic Church.

Keys of This Blood, also by Malachi Martin, contains a non fiction account of the Installation of Lucifer in the Vatican during a Satanic ritual during a Black Mass at St. Paul's Cathedral in Rome in 1963.  A bizarre story.

Windswept House, also by Malachi Martin, contains a fictionalized account of the same installation that allowed him to be more specific without naming names of the actual Cardinals in attendance.

All three books contain the information you seek from the internationally recognized leader in this field complete with criminal case studies.  Take care, however, as you approach this topic.  It is not for the meek, or the weak.

Keep in mind the words of the French poet, Charles Baudelaire who wrote, "The greatest trick Satan ever pulled was making the world believe he doesn't exist."

#11 Grace Campbell

Grace Campbell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks you two!

Good idea, KC. A pagan Satanist has possibilities. And this is fiction, so I can make up a cult, just as long as it has some authenticity.

And thank you for the book recommendations, Robert! They sound awesome. And I love the truthfulness of that quote. Satan also makes people believe that it and the demons are in Hell, not on Earth (I say "it" because angels and demons are genderless). "Therefore rejoice ye heavens and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and of the sea, for the devil is come down on you having great wrath, because he knows that he has but a short time." -Revelations 12:12

#12 D. E. Jackson

D. E. Jackson

Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:THE CLANDESTINE is available on Amazon and through Goodreads. I've been making up stories since I was little and been writing seriously since 2007, mastering my craft. I'm currently working on book two THE DESIRED.
    My prequel ERASED will hopefully be published soon.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

I suggest looking at Norway in the way of Satanic stuff for the type your going for. Might give you some good ideas. Look especially at the Black Metal scene. Got some extreme people who do crazy stuff. One even burnt down a 200 year old church. Crazy.

519euspeCaL._AA160_.jpg

Goodreadshttps://www.goodread...768.D_E_Jackson

T​WITTER
https://twitter.com/DEJacksonWolf

YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube....emhvA_CyRqAJq7w

Favorite Artist - Adam Hall (my favorite thus far is the tornado)
http://www.adamhallart.com/#intro[color=rgb(0,0,255)]

There is no trick beyond sitting your arse in a chair everyday -Shawn Speakman, Unfettered.

#13 Grace Campbell

Grace Campbell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

I suggest looking at Norway in the way of Satanic stuff for the type your going for. Might give you some good ideas. Look especially at the Black Metal scene. Got some extreme people who do crazy stuff. One even burnt down a 200 year old church. Crazy.

Wow, thanks, Lia! Sounds crazy.

#14 Terradi

Terradi

Resident Malkavian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

As a neopagan and former practicing wiccan, I think you'd do better to specifically look for information about cults and research those and then make decisions on how to go handle your story from there.  Wiccans have nothing to do with sacrifice of any kind, and a book that refers to wiccans or alleges that they are involved in destructive cults would be both inaccurate and harmful to a religious group that gets targeted plenty.  I don't wear a pentagram in public and most of my family is unaware of my religious affiliation because I don't think it's worth the ugliness that will come from it.  

Wicca is nature-based, and traditional Wicca has very formal rules and traditions.  No one under 18 would be allowed to join.  These groups have very strict rules of operation and conduct, and would require extensive research to do well.  Neopagans who call themselves Wicca but don't follow traditional Wicca rules tend to be nature-based, celebrate the new and full moons, and mark the eight major turning points of the season.  They may meet in groups or practice alone.  They may use candle magic or other rituals and ceremonies.  The notion of harming another person is absolutely wrong.  Acting in a way that imposes your will upon someone else is also seen as ethically wrong.  The term Neopagan is more general and the ethics and rules become looser. Some may base their practices on old Greek gods, Egyptian ones, or really, any god that ever is or was.  There are Christian Neopagans.  Not sure how they make it work, but it works for them. 

Please be careful in how you write your story.  If you are looking for a very, very general information site that covers what different non-mainstream religions cover, I recommend http://www.religioustolerance.org/.  It's not detailed, but it covers the generalities in a neutral, open manner and is built for people who might know nothing about a specific religion.  

It's worth noting that most religions have some pretty crazy offshoots.  I'd suggest starting with the notion of cults on Wiki and seeing if you can find one that sounds interesting to you and going from there.  I'd actually suggest focusing much less on Satanism as a key word and looking more into extreme forms of Christianity ... mostly because you'll find more hits.  It is the dominant religion in the US, so there's a larger number of people who happen to identify as Christian who are also in/run highly destructive cults.  And a cult is a cult.  Regardless of religious denomination, you'll see similar patterns in controlling and examples of what a charismatic but insane person can do to a group.  

Think about what you want out of this religious cult.  Do you want organization and cohesiveness?  Are the parents part of a group or are they acting alone based on their own personal beliefs and/or religion.  Why would the parents choose this particular religion?  Are they looking for self gain or are they looking to control their child?  This will help you decide what sort of group you 'need', which should help you find a real life example that mirrors what you're looking for. 

If your parents homeschool, exercise a lot of control, cut off outside contact and practice extreme religious views, you might even have better luck looking articles on some of the nasty things that can happen when parents homeschool (They're a serious, serious minority in the homeschooling population but ... again ... any group big enough and you start to see bad eggs).  

If you go the homeschooling route and look towards religious fundies as an example of how religion can become twisted and unhealthy, this article might get you started:  http://www.alternet....christian-homes  I won't vouch for its accuracy.  Alternet has some pretty hokey stuff sometimes.  But they also list support groups and have some personal anecdotes.  One of the people interviewed left her form of religious fundamentalism and went over to Catholicism.  Which (based on your post in Guppy) sounds like it might be a little like the recovery you want your character to go through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users