3 replies to this topic

#1 Letitia

Letitia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:University of Georgia Infusion Magazine Volume 7 Issue 1 Fall 2009 & Volume 7 Issue 2, toonaripost.com, Stillpoint Magazine 2012; The Black Parade (Amazon)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Am I reading the terms wrong or is this a completely useless bit of fluff that Amazon Kindle Publishing made up? The way they explain it is if you have the print version of a book, you can get the ebook for a discounted price? Um, what the hell is the benefit here? And I mean that inquisitively, not sarcastically. I've never owned two versions of the same book unless my original copy is falling apart and I had to buy a new one. I only ask because I can enroll my novel in it, but I won't do it because on paper, it doesn't seem to make sense. 

I'm a newbie self published author and I'm poking around trying to find new ways to help people discover my novel. Is the Matchbook program actually beneficial, or is it just smoke and mirrors? Any feedback is welcome, because this author lady is so confused right now. Take pity on me, kind authors, and share your experience.

P.S. In case anyone thinks to suggest it, no, I am not enrolled in KDP Select because while no one's buying my novel right now, I still don't want to surrender exclusive publishing rights to Amazon. I'd rather the book be available on Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iBookstore, etc even if no one's buying it than to only be available via Amazon. Some people aren't keen on them as of late. Just didn't seem like a good business move just yet. 

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

-Ray Bradbury

Like sarcasm? Then you'll love me. Probably. I write urban fantasy. Here's my Twitter, Blog, Tumblr, Goodreads, and Facebook page.

Think I might not be a sucky writer? Scoop up a copy of The Black Parade

#2 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

I enrolled my book in the Matchbook program. Plenty of people like to have both physical and e-copies of a book. Sometimes a paper book is more of a keepsake for people to put on a shelf. Or they like to have both so that they can carry a large library with them on their ereader at any time, like on vacation, and leave the paper books at home.

#3 Letitia

Letitia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:University of Georgia Infusion Magazine Volume 7 Issue 1 Fall 2009 & Volume 7 Issue 2, toonaripost.com, Stillpoint Magazine 2012; The Black Parade (Amazon)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

I enrolled my book in the Matchbook program. Plenty of people like to have both physical and e-copies of a book. Sometimes a paper book is more of a keepsake for people to put on a shelf. Or they like to have both so that they can carry a large library with them on their ereader at any time, like on vacation, and leave the paper books at home.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I had no clue that people did that sort of thing. 

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

-Ray Bradbury

Like sarcasm? Then you'll love me. Probably. I write urban fantasy. Here's my Twitter, Blog, Tumblr, Goodreads, and Facebook page.

Think I might not be a sucky writer? Scoop up a copy of The Black Parade

#4 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:MARONA novels:
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I like having two versions.  We loan out or books and give them away from time to time, so having a print copy available to do that with, while not completely losing the book, is a plus for us.

WebsiteOeuvreShopFacebookGoodreadsWattpadTwitter

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

Vendetta (High Fantasy, Heist Elements)
The World Walker (Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy)
Jasmine of the Fireflies (Magical Realism, LGBTQIA+ Romance, Short Story)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users