Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

I plan to bring a couple of my characters from the states to Europe in first class. What's the experience like as far as interaction with people that work on the plane, eating, and the seats. I saw a picture and it looks like the seats can be pretty big, but also they often are singular. My characters will be going together, does first class ever have seats in pair so they can sit together and if so, does it have that separater in between?

Thanks for any info!

#2 Paul Krueger

Paul Krueger

Pungeon Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories pubbed May 2014, October 2014. THE DEVIL'S WATER DICTIONARY due for pub from Quirk Books, 2Q 2015.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

Obviously, it varies based on the airline.  But the one time I got to fly first class, there were a few things I noticed:

1) Bigger seats/more room.  Obviously.

2) Unlimited booze.  This was a wonderful amenity of which I, a relatively new twenty-one-year-old, took immediate advantage.  And that led to...

3) More interactions with my fellow passengers.  Maybe it was the liquor, or maybe it was just the fact that we were all more comfortable in our seats, but I got to know a couple of my surrounding passengers.  I even got a number off the girl sitting behind me (though I found out it was fake when I tried it.  Womp womp).

I've never seen a first class cabin where every single seat was singular, for what it's worth.

"If you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein, inadvertently giving the best querying advice ever

"Sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something." - Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

#3 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

I thought I replied to this. Thanks for the info it was really helpful! I wonder if it would be terribly unrealistic to let them get slipped some alcohol.

#4 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

The first class flights that I've flown in have been two seats at a time. Unlimited alcohol, super friendly flight attendants and delicious amounts of leg room! Nice snacks, cookies, biscotti. On an international or longer flight, you'll get a nice meal as well (nice meaning, you'll think t's nice if you don't fly all the time). My husband does regularly and he talks of lobster, ice cream sundaes, etc.  

Pillow or blanket, an amenity kit--the one from United right now has a sleep mask, socks, mints, philosophy brand lip balm and lotion, and maybe a few other little things.

And yes, definitely a separator in between.

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#5 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Major thank you Ami!!! Man I hope I can experience this some day!

#6 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Unrelated, but how much more expensive are first class seats related to coach seats?

Find ARTIFICIAL on Goodreads and Amazon!

#7 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

So a ticket for in a baout a month from now from NYC to LA is in the $350 - $480 range for a regular coach seat.

First is in the $1500-$1800 range. Pretty steep.

#8 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

HOLY ESS. DAMN YOU RICH PEOPLE!

#9 Paul Krueger

Paul Krueger

Pungeon Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories pubbed May 2014, October 2014. THE DEVIL'S WATER DICTIONARY due for pub from Quirk Books, 2Q 2015.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

I actually got the upgrade because I brought the gate attendant a cup of coffee because he looked dead on his feet.  Strictly speaking, I paid $2.39 extra for my first class seat...

"If you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein, inadvertently giving the best querying advice ever

"Sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something." - Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

#10 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I know right, Jadah?! It takes a good 3-4 hours of movement. I would honestly never shell out that much for such a short flight. International flight with some serious extra cash? I would consider it. But I've heard business class is not far off from first and FAR cheaper.

Ha! Now you've put idea in my head Paul. :humph:

#11 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well, I asked because I'm flying to Ireland next Halloween and I was like, well, if business isnt THAT much more maybe I'll look into it. I just checked. Coach: 800$, Business: 3000$. Nope!

#12 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ouch. You can always try the Paul route.

#13 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

I do have some feminine wiles, but I doubt I can use them to get a 2000 dollar upgrade. Edit: Not saying Paul used his feminine wiles, or maybe he did, no judgement. But a coffee ain't gonna do it this time.

#14 gmelin

gmelin

Heroine Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

I actually got the upgrade because I brought the gate attendant a cup of coffee because he looked dead on his feet.  Strictly speaking, I paid $2.39 extra for my first class seat...

Damn!  My one and only upgrade was on a severely overbook flight from Frankfurt to San Francisco.  Comfy seat, choice of viewing (I watched A Brief History of Time), an actual menu at mealtime.   It was Lufthansa, which is already one of the best carriers.  My parents picked me up and the first thing my mother said was, "You don't look dead."

The person who is brutally honest enjoys the brutality quite as much as the honesty. Possibly more.

--Richard J. Needham

#15 lee debourg

lee debourg

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:CONCURRENT RELATIONSHIPS is on Amazon KDP. Second novel will be placed by Spring.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

One time upgrade, Helsinki to JFK. I was in coach, the nice stewardess smiled and suggested there was an 'extra' seat in first class, if I was interested.
It was an aisle seat, the window seat occupied by a foreign head of a scientific department at a major US university. Long story short, he was drunk and belligerent because he had been cutoff from alcohol. I'm not a small man, and my obvious assignment was to manage him for the staff as they maintained a close watch. One would have thought a Sky Marshal might have been involved, but I didn't see one.
He passed out, snored up a storm, and I had no sleep.
Upon landing he gave me his business card, apologized, and left the plane in a hurry.
Cliché moral of the story involves the fairy tale of a free lunch...
http://Lee DeBourg.w....com/leedebourg
CONCURRENT RELATIONSHIPS http://amzn.com/BOOFTZ7XBO
[url=http://twitter.com/leedebourg]http://twitter.com/leedebourg
Book Trailer http://wwwyoutu.be/EoMgt36m1nA

#16 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

The first class flights that I've flown in have been two seats at a time. Unlimited alcohol, super friendly flight attendants and delicious amounts of leg room! Nice snacks, cookies, biscotti. On an international or longer flight, you'll get a nice meal as well (nice meaning, you'll think t's nice if you don't fly all the time). My husband does regularly and he talks of lobster, ice cream sundaes, etc.  

Pillow or blanket, an amenity kit--the one from United right now has a sleep mask, socks, mints, philosophy brand lip balm and lotion, and maybe a few other little things.

And yes, definitely a separator in between.

Dang! That's awesome! One day...

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#17 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

One time upgrade, Helsinki to JFK. I was in coach, the nice stewardess smiled and suggested there was an 'extra' seat in first class, if I was interested.
It was an aisle seat, the window seat occupied by a foreign head of a scientific department at a major US university. Long story short, he was drunk and belligerent because he had been cutoff from alcohol. I'm not a small man, and my obvious assignment was to manage him for the staff as they maintained a close watch. One would have thought a Sky Marshal might have been involved, but I didn't see one.
He passed out, snored up a storm, and I had no sleep.
Upon landing he gave me his business card, apologized, and left the plane in a hurry.
Cliché moral of the story involves the fairy tale of a free lunch...

I would have bargained for another first class ticket redeemable whenever.

#18 allismith

allismith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Having recently flown to Italy and back from LA, I had two different international first class experiences.  Also note that domestic first class can be a different configuration as well.  Sometimes the airline's website will show pictures and have descriptions of the first class accommodations as well.

New York to London:  "Business Class" (there was a "first class" section for even more $$)

Three columns, single seats on outer columns and two seats in the center.  The seats were more like pods, having a more private feel to them.  My husband was sitting next to me (we were in the center column) and I couldn't see him unless I leaned over and looked into his pod.  We were separated by a partition near our heads, but the rest was mostly open to his side.  

Each pod has a personal screen with touch and remote options.  There were tons of movies available for free, as well as some music and TV shows.  Our seats reclined completely into beds, allowing us to adjusting our seats into any position we wanted in between.  There was tons of storage, noise canceling headphones were offered free of charge to borrow during the flight, and pillows/blankets were also in our pods.

We were given a menu with three entree options, including steak, fish, and chicken.  There was an appetizer and desert also included.  The little silverware and salt/pepper shakers they give you are adorable and tiny! (if you're into that sort of thing)

They offered water, champagne, or orange juice before the plane even took off.  Drinks after that are unlimited.  The flight staff is very friendly and they will even know your name (via their seating chart)!

London to New York:  First Class (this plane had no distinctions between business and first)

Three columns, two seats on outer columns and three seats in the center.  These seats were large and could recline to an almost flat position.  The cabin was open, just like in coach, so no privacy like before in the pods.  The food and drink situation was the same, as was the personal screen at each seat.  The configuration and privacy level were the main differences.

Domestic First Class:

This is very similar to the London to New York flight, except the planes are usually smaller, so the number of seats in each column will be fewer.  These flights are also shorter in duration, so meals aren't always served.  If they are, you do get options, and if they aren't, you still get to drink as much as you want for free and you get a nice snack.  The noise-cancelling headphones aren't available and the seats never recline anywhere near a bed position.  They are still oversized and offer you a pillow/blanket.

I hope this helps!  My husband flies all the time for work in first class, so if you need any other details, just ask!

#19 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Woah, thanks so much Alli! I didn't see this posted before so I got here late. I guess you'd be the person to ask about fancy hotel rooms?

#20 Fairy Stone Fairy

Fairy Stone Fairy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:When I was in college, I had my own column in the local newspaper. Published works: Writer's Shack Anthology (Volume 1) (Had a story published in the book, without my permission. I was in a FB Writer's Group and they published some of our stories that we made up for the fun of it. I would have liked to spend more time on my story had I known it was going to be published. LOL)

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

As a former flight attendant, if money is no object, or they are using airline miles, I would travel "Business First" which depends on the airlines, but most have fully reclining seats with foot rests, if not beds that lie flat.  Unlimited booze starts off as soon as your rear hits the seats.  You can pretty much ask for anything as soon as you sit down (besides a 7 course meal)  They are very accommodating.  The seats should turn into flat beds while you are sleeping.  Before the meal, they will hand out hot moist towels to clean your hands, and after a meal, too.  You will be given a menu and can choose what you would like to eat.  There are porcelain plates, real glasses, napkins and silverware.  You are also given a nice amenity pack that has a toothbrush, mouthwash, razor, eye patches, ear plugs, etc...in case you forgot something.  You board first and exit first.  You are treated like kings and queens, but you pay for it, too.  Bottom prices are usually around $4,000+    There are no more than two seats next to each other. (Usually)  If you want to see what it looks like, just go to Google, or youtube for a visual.  Virgin Airlines has a pretty detailed "Upper Class" site.

Working for the airlines, that's all we flew...First Class or Business First...just another perk.  Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users