Disclaimer

Photo

Recommend the best self publishing companies?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sdiddy

sdiddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

I am looking for companies that help you navigate all the minutiae of self publishing, from developmental editing, to copy editing, to book covers, to formatting, to where to upload the books and which print-on-demand services to use. I simply dont have the time to do all of the research myself and outsource each part of that process, and since I have all but given up on getting an agent, i just really want to self-publish to have SOMETHING out there.

If you have any good experiences with companies that can work with me from end-to-end, please let me know. thanks!! 

#2 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I am looking for companies that help you navigate all the minutiae of self publishing, from developmental editing, to copy editing, to book covers, to formatting, to where to upload the books and which print-on-demand services to use. I simply dont have the time to do all of the research myself and outsource each part of that process, and since I have all but given up on getting an agent, i just really want to self-publish to have SOMETHING out there.

If you have any good experiences with companies that can work with me from end-to-end, please let me know. thanks!! 

I don't know what they charge but Taliesin Publishing http://www.taliesinpublishing.com/ was started last year by one of my editors (BL Wilson, whose editing for me was great) and one of her friends. They are an ebook publisher but they also do a la carte stuff for authors who want to self-publish.

#3 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I self-publish and if you don't have the time to do the research, you don't have the time to self-publish.

Even when hiring people to do work for you, like editors, people who make book covers, and people to advertise for you (all of which I've hired), you have to spend a lot of time researching who you want to hire. You might have to spend time putting packages together to help the advertising people or fixing the edits your editor gave you, or talking to your book cover artist about what you want (or spending days and days looking through premade covers and debating about which ones you want to buy in your head.)

It's about being your own accountant and doing the math regularly of how much you're spending versus how much you are making versus how much you will be taxed. It's writing blurbs on your own and tweaking coding.

You make your own web-site. You update it regularly on your own. There's blogging, tweeting, facebook, etc.

You have to spend lots of time experimenting on how to get your book out there and cheap ways to sell more books. So even if you hire people to put your book together for you, you are still spending a lot of time researching how to market yourself.

Self-publishing is about time spent not writing. Lots and lots of time because of little tasks that you were never expecting to have to do.

If you want what you are asking for, then you need a publishing house. Just keep trying and writing more books. Writing is about patience and it sucks up years and years of your life. Keep writing more books and eventually an agent will find you if you keep trying. It's just as hard to get people to buy your book when it's self-published as it is to get an agent to notice you.

I only wanted to self-publish because I like controlling my future-making plans and seeing them come true. I like doing things in my own pace and my own way.

I'm only saying this because it doesn't seem like self-publishing is what you really want to do. You seem tired from trying to get an agent, but like you'd prefer the control of your book and responsibility of marketing left to someone else. And when you self-publish, all you are is responsible for every little aspect of every single one of your books. You can't fling them into the world and forget them.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#4 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

EB makes great points. Self-publishing isn't simply putting your book out there and letting it sit until someone stumbles over it and buys (well, you can do that, but don't expect good results). The work doesn't end once a self-published book is up for sale.

I agree that self-publishing probably isn't what you really want. If you do want to go with a self-publishing "assistance" company, you are looking at $2000 to $5000 up front. You'll also have to research very carefully to find a reputable company (stay away from anything attached to Author Solutions). Keep in mind that if you are paying the company, they aren't making money from your book itself, ergo they have little to no motivation to actually help you make your book salable. Pay attention to the ranking of their already published books, look for typos in the those books' blurbs and samples page, and judge if their covers are professional quality.

While you're doing all that research, you may instead prefer to visit the Kboard's "Writer's Cafe" forum, which has lists of freelancers who do covers, editing, and formatting for the self-publishing community there. You could likely get the whole shebang done for less than $1000 if you hire directly, and with a community of writers happy to recommend the services of their freelancers, you could finish that part of your research in a day or less.

If neither of these options sounds like fun, you could consider looking for a small press to take you on. A small press doesn't take all the work off your shoulders quite as much as a big publisher (which doesn't take all the work anyway), but they mostly do not require agents. And best of all, no upfront costs (but again, make sure you submit only to reputable ones).

Good luck,

M.W

#5 sdiddy

sdiddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

thank you for the advice. are there any good resources you have used to find smaller publishing houses? thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users