6 replies to this topic

#1 Alysa804

Alysa804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None yet! But hopefully within a year or two.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hello all! My name is Alysa and I'm new to the writing and publishing biz. It might seem like a silly question but does your literary agent have to live in the same city as you? Originally I thought yes of course, but with today's technology such as video chatting is this still the case? Thank you for you time and help!  :smile:

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hi Alyssa,

Welcome to the boards! An agent definitely doesn't have to live where you live. Otherwise most writers would have to be from New York! Everything is done through email/phone/snail mail and even skype nowadays :)

#3 Alysa804

Alysa804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None yet! But hopefully within a year or two.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Thank you so much! That opens up the field much more :)

#4 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I live nowhere near my agent. Neither is she in New York, though her agency is.

25815723.jpg  29242455.jpg  16415686.jpg   18159598.jpg  20957949.jpg   

Blog: It's in the Details
Twitter

#5 JW Roberts

JW Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi Alyssa,

Welcome to the boards! An agent definitely doesn't have to live where you live. Otherwise most writers would have to be from New York! Everything is done through email/phone/snail mail and even skype nowadays :)

Hi Alyssa,  

I am nearly done doing the final edits on my first novel and am ready to go forth.     If you don't mind me asking...  how's your experience been signing with a traditional agent, the request on rewrites, the contract / money?   I'm trying to make a decision on Traditional Pub  vs  DIY / POD with createspace.  

I'm already hearing quite a bit of negative reviews from most on there experience with Traditional Agents / Publishers    

#6 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

JW -- I would like to say -- as someone who has an agent and had trad. pub. deals (albeit with a small pub. house) -- that there is NOTHING WRONG with traditional publishing, most agents, etc.

I had a bad experience with one pub., but that does not mean all are problematic.

I think it really depends more on what YOU want out of the publishing experience. I think everyone should decide, based on their career goals, what is best for them and their books.

Don't choose self-publishing because traditional publishing is "bad." It isn't, really. Choose self-publishing because it works for you.

Personally I am planning now to be a "hybrid" author. I will be self-publishing some books (with my agent's blessing) and my agent will also be working to get me new traditional publishing deals. The decision to do one on the other is dependent on the books, the market, etc.

#7 JW Roberts

JW Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hi, thank you for your response, the feedback has helped me decide.   I will likely be going with DIY  POD  because of the long long drug out process of Traditional Pub, and then after all the time spent, it still ends being a crap shoot with success/money/career, regardless of how good your book is.

For me... that's just way too many major negative factors in Traditional Pub gamble.   I appreciate your shared views on your journey it really helps.  Blessings and much success to you on your choice to go "Hybrid" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users