#1 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Very interesting, in-depth article: http://authorearnings.com/the-report/  As someone who has a traditionally published book and an indie book, I found this article particularly useful.

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#2 SC_Author

SC_Author

Veteran Hufflepuff Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some poetry

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

I really like this article; thanks for sharing! However, there's one glaring flaw in it.

All the data is collected from Amazon Bestseller lists. Meaning, books bought only off of Amazon. Not NYT Bestseller, not Barnes and Noble. And while people are getting scared, know that e-book sales are only less than 25% of all book sales. http://mashable.com/...lisher-revenue/

Now, Amazon is THE place for ebooks. They basically own the market. Isn't it obvious that because they are the biggest player in a small (relative to 75%) market, their numbers would be incredibly biased towards ebooks? Of course ebooks and self pubbed will do well on Amazon because, well, that's the main place to buy them. Same goes for indie and small press books too.

So while this article may show incredible data about the vast power of ebooks and self-pubbing, the data is also vastly, vastly skewed to favor these outlets.

Thank you for sharing though! It really was a great read (the amount I did read) and I just wanted to add a disclaimer :)
SC_Author on Twitter

and SCWrite.blogspot.com for my blog :)

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#3 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Now, Amazon is THE place for ebooks. They basically own the market. Isn't it obvious that because they are the biggest player in a small (relative to 75%) market, their numbers would be incredibly biased towards ebooks? Of course ebooks and self pubbed will do well on Amazon because, well, that's the main place to buy them. Same goes for indie and small press books too.

So while this article may show incredible data about the vast power of ebooks and self-pubbing, the data is also vastly, vastly skewed to favor these outlets.

Thank you for sharing though! It really was a great read (the amount I did read) and I just wanted to add a disclaimer :)

This is also bias as it's only for the States. In Europe, Amazon is losing it's market share to other ebook platforms for one reason or another.  

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Wow, this is really interesting. I need to read this thoroughly.

#5 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

I really like this article; thanks for sharing! However, there's one glaring flaw in it.

All the data is collected from Amazon Bestseller lists. Meaning, books bought only off of Amazon. Not NYT Bestseller, not Barnes and Noble. And while people are getting scared, know that e-book sales are only less than 25% of all book sales. http://mashable.com/...lisher-revenue/

The data right now is definitely flawed, I'll give you that. But it does address this point about what percentage of book sales are ebooks, and why 25% is not an accurate number that we should be looking at.

"You may have heard from other reports that e-books account for roughly 25% of overall book sales. But this figure is based only on sales reported by major publishers. E-book distributors like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, the iBookstore, and Google Play don’t reveal their sales data. That means that self-published e-books are not counted in that 25%.

Neither are small presses, e-only presses, or Amazon’s publishing imprints."

Not to mention the fact that there are certain segments of print books (textbooks, academic books, children's books, etc.) that aren't likely to be digitized in the very near future and really aren't competition for the ebooks most of us here will put out.

So the data supporting "ebooks are only 25% of the market" is just as incomplete as the data in this article.

I'm not so concerned with them using Amazon's bestseller lists as opposed to NYT or USA Today lists because you can consistently see self-pubbed authors on those lists too, so I'm sure there's crossover between that and the Amazon lists. (In other words, you aren't likely to hit the NYT without also showing up on Amazon's lists.)

For me, what gives me pause is that they only looked at the top 7,000 books on Amazon. I mean, how many books are on Amazon?? So 7,000 feels like the very tip of the iceberg. The breakdown of who's selling more within the top tier is interesting, of course. But you have to make it there, first. I want to see breakdowns for lower sales ranks. I want to know things like how many novels, total, are traditionally versus self-published? How do the lowest-ranked traditionally published books compare to the lowest-ranked self published books in both units and author earnings? What about in the middle? If you look at the top 7,000 compared to all the rest of the novels on Amazon, what percent of total self pubbers are represented in that 7,000 versus percent of total  traditionally pubbed?

They can keep focusing on Amazon for now if they can give me that kind of data. Obviously it will take much more time and effort and data to have the discussions about all of bookselling through all venues, so I personally would rather have answers to a lot more questions about ONE sales outlet before they give the same skewed look at all other sales outlets.

#6 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Author Courtney Milan tackles some of the issues in this study from a scientific/statistical angle. Interesting stuff.

http://www.courtneym...uthor-earnings/

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#7 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Another critique of the statistical methods here. http://dearauthor.co...ith-statistics/

This quote from the conclusion of the post:

As an empirical researcher who respects the limits inherent in all data collection and analysis, my strongest advice is to read this report as you would read any interesting tidbit about the publishing industry. Treat it as entertainment, not information. If you’re interested in data analysis more generally, think of this as a stellar example of What Not To Do.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#8 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

As much as I am a supporter of self-publishing, I too have issues with the conclusions garnered from the data. A single day's worth of data isn't enough to draw conclusions about anything but that one day... definitely not a year. Either way, I think the trends are still fairly accurate. Self-publishing will continue to make successful self-publishers a lot of money. As for the average self-publisher? Maybe there will be a report on them next.

M.W

#9 Rashi

Rashi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationAsia

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

THANKS FOR YOU POST

RASHI

0 user(s) are reading this topic