#1 Harneet Bajwa

Harneet Bajwa

H.S. Bajwa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationPacific Islands
  • Publishing Experience:Self published. eBook available on Amazon kindle, Ibooks, Barnes & Noble, Kobo etc.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Aloha,

Does anyone have a Kindle template for open office or Apple pages, so it's easy to format after finishing the book?

Harneet

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

What version of Pages do you have? I have Pages '09 and it has a good ePub template built in. You can save it as an .epub, then use something like Calibre to convert to .mobi if you want. Though I think Amazon now accepts ePub uploads and does the conversion? Not sure.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Harneet Bajwa

Harneet Bajwa

H.S. Bajwa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPacific Islands
  • Publishing Experience:Self published. eBook available on Amazon kindle, Ibooks, Barnes & Noble, Kobo etc.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

I have Pages '09 as well and love to write in it, but the built-in ePub option of Pages didn't work for me when I was formatting my first book. I had to format it in open office and then use Jutoh to make a clean epub, which worked with both Amazon and Smashwords. 

So I was wondering if someone had a template to work with while writing/ or even a set of instructions, as I hate to do all the formatting after finishing the book?  

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think pretty much all you need to do to sort of pre-format while you're writing is to set an automatic first line indent so you never use the tab key and then use the heading 1 setting for your chapter numbers/titles. No extra carriage returns before or after your chapter headings or at the end of chapters. I feel like that's mostly it... unless you have specific formatting stuff you like to do.

#5 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Calibre is a good conversion software for when you're ready to upload your book to Amazon. For the actual formatting of the book, the one that I used is http://www.bookdesig...Microsoft Word.

You might shop around and see if there's an option like that for Open Office, or maybe see if it's still compatible. It looks nice and professional and has really clear instructions on how to use it. Once the book is structurally the way that you want it, something like Calibre will put it in the correct format for Kindle, Nook, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users