TammyLove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hey everyone,

I’ve been playing around with the idea of maybe submitting to Month9books or Entangled Publishing. I really like the idea of smaller presses and the personal attention authors receive. Have any of you had any personal experience with either of them? I’d love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

Tammy 

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019. Bks 4 & 5 in series under contract.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Tammy, I am being published by Month9Books. As you probably know, they specialize in YA speculative fiction (scifi, fantasy, horror, etc.).  If you have specific questions, you can PM me.

Actually, there is no reason why you couldn't submit to both publishers, though. I don't think either press asks for "exclusive" submissions.

#3 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

I'm like you and prefer the smaller presses. I'm planning on subbing to Entangled (hopefully in the next six months). One thing I look for is how much the publisher will promote your book or what kind of a presence they have online.   

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#4 Charlee Vale

Charlee Vale

I love tea.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My short story 'A Gift of Roses' appears in Elephant Bookshelf Press' new anthology Winter's Regret. (Mar. 2014)

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

I used to work for Entangled. The people there are great. I would feel comfortable subbing to them. 

CV

"My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears. And true plain hearts do in the faces rest. Where can we find two better hemispheres? Without sharpe North, without declining west. Whatever dies was not mix'd equally. If our two loves be one and thou and I love so alike, that none can slacken, none can die." --John Donne

#5 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:20 AM

I used to work for Entangled. The people there are great. I would feel comfortable subbing to them. 

CV

And even more of a reason to sub to them :)

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#6 Katie Bailey

Katie Bailey

A fool with a notebook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

I'll tell you that both are lovely and valid, but...I'm a bit personally partial to Month9.  I work there and everyone's seriously so nice.  It's like a big family. <3

It's official:  I run on coffee and sarcasm.

#7 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Entangled> are they strictly romance?

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...3-love-and-war/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#8 stokes

stokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:WHERE THE STAIRCASE ENDS, published by Month9Books.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

I'm getting published by Month9 early next year, and so far I've really enjoyed everyone I've worked with.  Happy to answer any questions that I can about the process and my experience thus far.  

I also spoke with Entangled after they requested my MS from a contest.  They aren't strictly romance, but in the end they did want more romantic elements from my story.  As mentioned above, Month9 focuses on Speculative Fiction, which was a better fit for my manuscript and my writing style.  Just something to consider, especially if you want to write multiple books and would consider sticking with one publisher for a while.

Check out my blog ~ Thinking to Inking

Follow me on Twitter ~ @stacyastokes

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users