20 replies to this topic

#1 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

Welcome any and all!:biggrin:

You may have checked out the somewhat long-winded description of this group before you entered here. Well I'll just bring it down to the basics::happy:

• Share any ideas about how you feel the paranormal element can be used for the benefit of a story.:huh:
  • Show or talk about examples in your own writings of the paranormal and how it works to enhance the plot.:huh:
  • Suggest books that relate to this genre. Especially stories of another genre that entwine the paranormal in subtle or interesting ways. Also, so we can learn how not to do it, lay out some great 'Rotten Tomatoes' examples! There are plenty of them around.Posted Image
  • Above all, absolutely feel free to make any suggestions for the group and discuss all things paranormal. Don't be afraid to share any personal real-life experiences you or someone you may know have had with the paranormal and how it may have influenced your writing.:unsure:

Obviously, this is a brand new group and there will be more to come as it gets up and running full tilt. Thanks for joining or just visiting. Let's make it interesting!
:biggrin:

WILLIAM

#2 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Sounds like fun, William. My brand-new WIP fits in this genre, but it's also a dark comedy. I have concerns about it, but I'll take it to a new thread.

#3 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for modding this, William. It will definitely be a place I stop by!

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for starting the group, William! My current wip is a paranormal, so I'm looking forward to the discussions.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 Linda B

Linda B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:only my HS newspaper

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

As you know my interest in the paranormal goes back a ways. Will be looking forward to joining you here :)

#6 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

Thanks to all who have so far visited. I am greatly looking forward to what everyone will add to this group.

#7 Sonia

Sonia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've had two stories published at CC&D and WFW magazine.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

This sounds like a great group that I would be interested in! Thanks for coming up with it William.

Welcome any and all!:biggrin:

You may have checked out the somewhat long-winded description of this group before you entered here. Well I'll just bring it down to the basics::happy:

• Share any ideas about how you feel the paranormal element can be used for the benefit of a story.:huh:
  • Show or talk about examples in your own writings of the paranormal and how it works to enhance the plot.:huh:
  • Suggest books that relate to this genre. Especially stories of another genre that entwine the paranormal in subtle or interesting ways. Also, so we can learn how not to do it, lay out some great 'Rotten Tomatoes' examples! There are plenty of them around.Posted Image
  • Above all, absolutely feel free to make any suggestions for the group and discuss all things paranormal. Don't be afraid to share any personal real-life experiences you or someone you may know have had with the paranormal and how it may have influenced your writing.:unsure:

Obviously, this is a brand new group and there will be more to come as it gets up and running full tilt. Thanks for joining or just visiting. Let's make it interesting!
:biggrin:

WILLIAM

#8 Lucy

Lucy

Veteran Member

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hey, William--

In case it's a helpful resource, I wanted to stop by and let folks know about the discussion group that author Jenny Crusie is hosting on the topic of Gothic Romances. If you visit her community at www.cherryforums.com, you can see the reading list, read the posted discussions to date, and participate in the current discussion. For anyone unfamiliar with Jenny, she's a writing Craft genius, and her latest book is MAYBE THIS TIME, a take on the ghost story/Gothic THE TURN OF THE SCREW.

CONGRATULATIONS on the group, William!

#9 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Absolutely! Thanks for the resource. Sounds just like the kind of thing for this group. I need to hear anything a craft genius has to say! Thanks again, I will post the link in the resources thread. Teeeeeerrrrific!

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Looks like you're hitting the ground running, William. Good job! Looking forward to stopping by. Hey, Wednesday is Ghost Hunters night!

#11 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

AHHH, your right mw. Ghost Hunters!

Thanks mw

#12 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

I'd love to get a thread started here on experiences. There are times I read things in books dealing with the paranormal and I think no way that sounds real. So maybe if we have heard of other peoples experiences or have had real ones of our own that defy scientific explanation, we could share?

#13 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

That's a great idea, Candy! Nothing like a good ghost story. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#14 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Ok I started a new thread. :wink:

#15 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

Sorry for poking my head in here, but I have a question. The answer will probably help me define the genre of my WIP.

What's the difference between urban fantasy and paranormal?

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#16 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

It's sort of a fine line, imo. Urban Fantasy is set modern day, in this world (for the most part) but with creatures usually found in fantasy books. The key I think is that it's an urban setting, and there's a strong fantastical element throughout. With paranormals, I think it's often one person with special powers, and the setting doesn't have to be modern day or urban, although you can find paranormal type creatures here too. I guess that's sort of the fine line. I think in those instances, it falls back on the setting.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#17 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

That makes me even more confused. The WIP I'm talking about is the one I mentioned over in the Think Tank. Modern, urban setting. In the end, I decided to cut out a lot of the fantastical elements and narrowed the 'non-human trafficking' down to a single race of people from another plane of existence. They're humanoid, but their culture is heavy on body modifications and ESP abilities. My MC is human, but he's got an untrained precognitive ability. It's one that will be a key later down the line. I'm still figuring out whether it'd be a /crime or a /romance. Only more chapters will tell. ;P

But back to the main question.... Does that sound more urban fantasy or more paranormal? I thought the ESP would make it paranormal, but I dunno since there's a crowd of freakshow ESP-users around him.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#18 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

Eli, I think you'd be ok picking either genre, and might be tempted to switch it depending on the agent you're querying. For me, the urban setting and the various creatures says UF, but the ESP says paranormal, as does that the creatures are not your typical "fantasy" creatures. You could combine it... a paranormal UF. :wink:

Cali MacKay

FREE

#19 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

YEA MW!! I too am a total Ghost Hunters fan! I am really looking forward to learning and discussing in this group. I can use all the help I can get. Just reading everyone's posts gets me thinking, pondering and considering! :biggrin:

#20 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Candy I love that idea. My husband has seen a few things in his very "level headed skeptic" life. I haven't...and I am the one who is curious about these things! Truly unfair. I know his experiences have left him scratching his head and really questioning. Should I expound? (For the first time i feel kind of foolish discussing it! :blush: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users