8 replies to this topic

#1 kimerickson

kimerickson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:So far, I am unpublished, although I have done tons of research.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

I'm thinking of writing a new Urban Fantasy with a mash of a couple of Grimm fairy tales with my own little twist to them. Has anyone done this before? Any advice going in? What's your general opinion of these stories? Thanks!

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Why not? I think as long as you put in somewhere, maybe after the title that it's a retelling or whatnot of a Grimm tale, but don't quote me.  

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Fairy Tale retellings in YA are very popular. Someone else might be able to give more insight into the adult market, as I'm not terribly well versed in it.

#4 haeagar

haeagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

I think its great as long as you make it different enough with some interesting twists so its not boring and "Yeah, I know what happens next".

#5 kimerickson

kimerickson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:So far, I am unpublished, although I have done tons of research.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the opinions! I guess I'll go for it.

#6 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

I always love a good fairy tale retelling, regardless of the age range. :smile: They're usually pretty popular when done right. I'll admit that the majority that I've read have been for young adult, as sharpegirl mentioned, but The Snow Child was one of my absolute favorite books of last year. It was a beautifully written story based on a Russian fairy tale of the same name, and it even went on to win several awards. So I'd say go for it.

#7 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

My current WIP is a retelling trilogy.  But I merely use the barest structure of the stories, and nobody who didn't know what I had done recognized them, which its the way I planned it.  After you spot one, though, the others are easier to see.  Each book has multiple overlapping fairy tales and nursery rhymes woven through it, though the story is entirely my own creation.

This last novel is tending to go further into the horror genre than the others, although they're all pretty dark.

#8 WornTraveler

WornTraveler

Knows Nothing & Takes Nothing Seriously

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Retelling, in my opinion, has always been the bread-and-butter of fairy tales, which is why they'll probably always be hot. Remember the Grimm brothers themselves only collected and tweaked already existing tales; it seems only fair the tradition should continue. Fairy tales in this vein- think more Cinderella and less Lord of the Rings- are more or less the Folk Music of literature, the stories that have already been told, no one can really claim for themselves, and are always ripe for creative retelling.

Now seems to be a particularly good time; I've heard a lot of talk, and further seen a lot popping up at the bookstore: one shelves, featured displays and (perhaps most tellingly) at the check-out counter. That said, don't count on it being this hot by the time you finish an MS and get it polished enough to query. May be hotter, may be dead cold (for the moment). Just look at Paranormal Romance: before I left the country, website, and (predictably)AQC for a while, it felt like all I was hearing was people either rejoicing or lamenting in the PR trend. Now, according to the grape-vine at least, seems to me agents are chucking all but the best queries straight in the trash. The bandwagon's only good if you hop on it early enough.

All that said, I don't think one should worry too much about 'what's hot' right now. Write what you want and the quality will come through; trying to shoehorn yourself into some genre just because it's trending runs the risk of wasting your time at something you're simply no good at (or worse, don't even like). Even IF, let's say, you like PR and ALL you're hearing is Para-Rom is dead, if you like it, you'll like writing it more likely than not. If you enjoy the task chances are you'll improve even if you suck, and who knows, maybe you'll master the craft just in time to LAUNCH the next trend of a hitherto 'dead' genre.

Cheers and good luck either way.

TOPIC INACTIVE- Not currently requiring feedback at this time.

http://agentquerycon...sy/#entry254271

#9 Ashlyn

Ashlyn

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm working on a ya fairytale retelling too. It seems that fairytales fall into the fantasy genre, unless you strip the magic out of it (cinderella in space for example)

Queries and such:

YA fantasy: ALL IS DARK

Query: http://agentqueryconnect.com/index.php?/topic/36542-all-is-dark-newest-on-post-17

YA Contemporary Fantasy: BENEATH THE MADDENING MOON

Query: http://agentquerycon...addening-moon/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users