63 replies to this topic

#1 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

Some who have stopped by here have already mentioned or described a WIP they are working on or starting that is relevant to this genre. Talk about it here! What challenges do you face? What are you incorporating in your story to make it unique? Post away!

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

I'm working on a chapter book as a break between 'big' novels and it is a fun challenge. It has ghosties in it which sent me to beloved Google. Well, turns out some of my beliefs about ghosts are wrong! Myths debunked left and right. Hmmm... Requires me to rethink some aspects of my story. Do I perpetuate some of the common-held myths, or do I debunk them? Probably, I'll settle on a bit of both.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

I definitely think you should go against the grain by going with your research instead of the myths many others perpetuate in their books. That will make yours stand out from the rest.

#4 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Oooh... good point, Lanette! I did have the characters debunk a few myths when he 'talks to the reader.' I think I need to do more research though. I'd hate to have holes all over the place that might trip up a reader. Some of it I just plain old make up too! I guess because in some ways I am world building as well. So many little things to think about. I love it!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#5 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

That's why paranormal and fantasy is so much fun. :biggrin:

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

I am seeing the creative enjoyment aspect--most definitely. I wrote a chick lit novel for NaNo once with paranormal elements. Man, that was a blast too! Never had the time to edit it though and I think that wagon has moved around the bend. Shucks. Still, lots of potential in the world building side of the writer's life.

#7 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

For my wip I took something that happened during the Victorian time period, and have added a paranormal explanation for it all. The other paranormal wip I have in the works is more of a mix of paranormal (one mc's psychic and works as a fortune teller in a traveling carnival) and mythological (the other mc's a satyr). It takes place in a vague 1700-1800's type time period. Then I've also thought of editing my very first completed ms which is a modern day snarky paranormal/urban fantasy, and throwing it on amazon to see if it grows legs. lol.

Jean, I like the idea of debunking certain myths, and then maybe creating your own, so that the world becomes "yours".

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#8 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

Wow. So many great ideas floating around out there! Although I have been wrestling with mine I have grown to love it. I find keeping track of all of the elements you create as an author difficult to do sometimes. I will re read and catch areas that don't stay true to a paranormal "rule" I have created. This can be tricky!

#9 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

What 'paranormal rule' do you follow? ( if you wish to share it that is ):smile:

#10 Jess A. S.

Jess A. S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:'Reverie', the first book in the 'Winter Park' series is coming out on October 31st, 2011.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

For my first WIP, I'm doing the story in a modern setting in a small suburban town in Florida where the MC learns about many supernatural creatures and where she ends up falling in love with one of them. I find myself a little anxious to get to the supernatural parts of the story as I'm a still chapters before the supernatural aspects come in. I tie in as much history as I can - an example is of my werewolves; I changed my werewolves from a person's full moon, silver-bullet, and monster view of them. After doing a lot of research about the animal itself, I found wolves aren't what people make them out to be - they don't have demonic aspects - they are loyal, social, friendly, and will care deeply for their family. I wanted to tie that aspect into my werewolves. I wanted them to be misunderstood, as they are trying to hide within human society within their packs. I tied many of the legends that first arose in Europe in the 1500s to the werewolves and what they did to avoid it. I tied creatures a lot of people might not even know about - an example is the fae - a fairy if you care to see it that way; I put that they are ancient creatures and are very low in number and that is why they aren't as well known as vampires and werewolves. I put they were almost hunted to extinction by the other supernatural creatures of the world.

For that same WIP, I am anxious to get to the third part of it (as I have split the story into three books so far) which introduces the vampires in my book and the actual society of a werewolf pack. In this story, vampirism is a curse in which you cannot control: hunger drives all your emotions... you still feel human and you would not want to kill a person, but you can't stop it from happening. Many of the older vampires in my book just stopped caring all together since they know they cannot change the inevitable - some even enjoy to kill. I tried to stick with the normal weaknesses, but took out a few: hurt by sunlight, silver, and iron. Can't be killed by a stake in the heart, but only by beheading.

---

As for my second WIP, this story works more towards, a lot towards, my aspect on vampires. It tells a story of a person who'd their entire family was killed by one and the vampire is stalking her - like a game. It's relatively darker than the first WIP but I find very entertaining to write as I feel thrilled just writing it. I feel thrilled writing the other as well. It's just a fun time, all in all.
"I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.” - Pietro Aretino

#11 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

I'm still trying to figure out if mine is Paranormal or Urban Fantasy.

What I've got so far:

(summary removed due to major alterations)

BTW I hope the name choice doesn't bother the AQC Devlin! I picked the name out at Babynames.com and I honestly didn't think about you until after I'd already fallen in love with the character/name combo. I'm usually better at avoiding conflicts like that.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#12 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Baby names dot com. That's hilarious Ashley! Thanks

#13 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

Baby names dot com. That's hilarious Ashley! Thanks

:tongue: Don't underestimate it as a resource. 90% of my name choices come after using that site--and it even helps if you're looking for popular names during certain time periods.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#14 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

I actually LOVE this site for names. http://babynamesworl...ntsconnect.com/ They include the popularity of the name going back to 1890, which is useful for me since I don't tend to write modern day stuff. They also have "sounds like this name" and a "if you like this name, then you might like..." type of thing. Very good site.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#15 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Unfortunately, after Saints is complete, I'm starting a scifi novel. Mind you, once my scifi script is done, I'm starting a paranormal one! :biggrin:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#16 bigdonf

bigdonf

soon to be published!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:my first novel is due to be released at the end of october.
    It is being published by Greyhart Press.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Well my wip is called Reaper's walk/hellstone. My MC is a young woman whose ancestors made a deal with the Devil. In return for cursing a town and some slave owners, MC's Great great great great great grandmother is to give up her soul willingly to Satan. She proceeds to crayfish on the deal and Satan curses the family. the 6th generation,(my MC) is stuck paying the bill. Satan is sending the reaper to collect her soul and she is trying to find a way to save herself. Her only chance comes in the form of an ancient stone that makes demons incredibly strong. Satan wants to possess this stone to prevent any of his underlings from ever attempting to usurp his rule.If she can find it, maybe she can make a deal with old split foot. There are a few problems though. The hellstone disappeared several thousand years ago and no-one knows where it is. secondly, If/when MC finds it, all manner of dark creatures will be attracted to it and will pursue her.She will have to out wit demons, werewolves, vamps dark witches and a few other things that will eat your face to lift the curse. Crit anyone? :cool: don

#17 Justin Holley

Justin Holley

Veteran Member of the AQC Posse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:You can find my short fiction published within the pages of the magazines: Tales From the Moonlit Path, SNM Horror, Trei Literary, Writer’s Together, and The Odd Mind, as well as, the anthologies: Atrum Tempestas and Zombie Chronicles. Two of my short stories have also been optioned for script work--the first production to take place on November, 12th 2010 (exciting!).

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Your premise sounds cool, Don!
www.justinholley-author.com

#18 Letitia

Letitia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:University of Georgia Infusion Magazine Volume 7 Issue 1 Fall 2009 & Volume 7 Issue 2, toonaripost.com, Stillpoint Magazine 2012; The Black Parade (Amazon)

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

My novel is The Black Parade: a story about a young woman named Jordan Amador who accidentally kills a Seer--a man who can see dead spirits and helps them crossover to the other side. As penance, she sentenced by the archangel Gabriel to help 100 souls crossover before she dies or her soul will go to Hell. Two years later, she runs across a poltergeist--a ghost who can physically touch things--and the first she's ever met. Things start getting dangerous as she unravels his mysterious death and gets catapulted into a world of angels, demons, and ghosts.

And I have been wondering for a while if it counts as an Urban Fantasy or not. What do you guys think?

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

-Ray Bradbury

Like sarcasm? Then you'll love me. Probably. I write urban fantasy. Here's my Twitter, Blog, Tumblr, Goodreads, and Facebook page.

Think I might not be a sucky writer? Scoop up a copy of The Black Parade

#19 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

Not a bad story. sounds very interesting!

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#20 bigdonf

bigdonf

soon to be published!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:my first novel is due to be released at the end of october.
    It is being published by Greyhart Press.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

Not a bad story. sounds very interesting!

Which story? If mine .. thanks. if Letitia's, I agree, it does sound interesting. :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users