#21 bigdonf

bigdonf

soon to be published!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:my first novel is due to be released at the end of october.
    It is being published by Greyhart Press.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:21 AM

Your premise sounds cool, Don!

Thanks Justin! I haven't gotten any feedback at all yet so I really don't know what anyone thinks about it.

#22 Justin Holley

Justin Holley

Veteran Member of the AQC Posse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:You can find my short fiction published within the pages of the magazines: Tales From the Moonlit Path, SNM Horror, Trei Literary, Writer’s Together, and The Odd Mind, as well as, the anthologies: Atrum Tempestas and Zombie Chronicles. Two of my short stories have also been optioned for script work--the first production to take place on November, 12th 2010 (exciting!).

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

I tried to find your WIP, but couldn't find anything but the posting I commented on.
www.justinholley-author.com

#23 John Castle

John Castle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My publishing experience so far is in a relatively narrow niche of erotica short fiction. However, I'm greatly interested in publishing in more mainstream categories with a broader readership.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Most of what I write is pavement-hard and back alley gritty hardboiled detective yarns set in a near-future dystopia. But I'll never lose sight of some of my formative inspirations, and two of the big ones are Poe and Lovecraft -- and on Lovecraft's side of the aisle is a certain brooding Cimmerian created by one of Lovecraft's contemporaries and sometime-indirect-collaborators.

So I've got a short story in the works that ought to knock the socks off those who may have forgotten (or never heard of) the classical Masters of weird terror.

Oh, and hi! :D

#24 PLGreen

PLGreen

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published once before in the Quiet Time Report.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hi all!

In a very brief nutshell, my first MS is about a man who has a gift that a coven of witches want. He joins up with a woman who astral projected and inspired him to write a story about the demise of his family. Together they destroy the coven and end up saving each other. Mind you this is a very basic nutshell :biggrin:

The WIP I have is about two families that come together in our reality but discover that they were born between realities and they are the only ones that can prevent the realities from being destroyed. The alternate reality is an ethereal reality and because the people were born in between they have special powers that allow them to travel between spaces both in our reality and the other. Anyone confused yet? Me too. :laugh: Still trying to figure this one out it is unraveling itself in its own sweet time. :biggrin:
P. L. Green

#25 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Okay, I'm switching again. Last year I wrote a short story about a guy who goes to work as a PR person for a kind of paranormal agency. I got some good ideas for other stories involving the same characters so I thought I would turn it into a serial. Then, after discovering scriptwriting, I turned it into a television pilot. Now, I've decided to turn it back into a written serial. *sighs*

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#26 PLGreen

PLGreen

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published once before in the Quiet Time Report.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Okay, I'm switching again. Last year I wrote a short story about a guy who goes to work as a PR person for a kind of paranormal agency. I got some good ideas for other stories involving the same characters so I thought I would turn it into a serial. Then, after discovering scriptwriting, I turned it into a television pilot. Now, I've decided to turn it back into a written serial. *sighs*

Either way around it, it sounds like an awesome story premise. I can't wait to see them. :biggrin:
P. L. Green

#27 Ner0

Ner0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I am working on a novelette or novella, not sure really the correct term because it seems the two can have quite some over-lap. It is about a writer living on a lake and his quest to find out about strange events that links himself with two young boys in the 50s. I am not sure if I am going ghostly or Lovecraftian monster sort of style. I am only like 1/3 into it and I am really unsure of where to go at this point, and it makes me feel kind of stupid because I started this grand adventure with a plan to write a story to scare myself but it became more about the plight of this character to find the truth than about the 'scariness'.

#28 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

Nero - from what I hear it's more common than you would think for a story to turn out very different from what the writer had intended. While visiting the web sites of some of my favorite authors and listening to them speak I have heard them say over and over how a story took on a whole new life or a character took them in a whole new direction.

For myself (and I would bet for most everyone here) I never know the beginning, middle and end when I sit down and write. In fact, I'm never sure how I'm going to get from A to B. I start with just a simple outline. A story idea - which it seems you did as well. Then, as I write ideas, words, plots - it all just starts to come and fall into place - sometimes turning a corner I hadn't even anticipated.

I usually start out planning to write something full or suspense, murder and mystery. So far, however, when I'm done the murder and mystery may be there, as well as the suspense, but the humor and romance have toned it down much more than I planned or anticipated.

But I'd bet the end product will be something even better than you had planned.

#29 Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*

Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

My WIP is an agonizingly slow process. I had many changes to nip and tuck before completing my first draft. The title is Ghost of the Bay. It is set in a small rural area that I grew up in and I am learning more of the history of the area, which is in my story. Like the Great Fire of 1947 which is when the ghost lives. It is a rural paranormal novel, perhaps. Rosemary King, the main character, moves to Pleasant Bay to recover from the death of her husband Henry King. While she is there, she paints the beautiful scenery. She is inspired by it as she is a professional artist. She is also a gifted witch with mediumistic abilities-which attracts the attention of the ghost who is haunting the place. He has been haunting the place since he died. That was over to sixty to eighty years ago. He died at sea but his spirit is attached to the place due to an improper burial.

Rosemary meets Janet, a long time resident of Pleasant Bay, who knows a great deal of history of Pleasant Bay and they become friends. Rosemary meets her husband Richard and their grandson Scott. She begins to unwittingly discover things about the ghost, including the items that belonged to the ghost. She is unable to open the door to the locked room. She owns a magic candleholder that lets her see what lurks in the dark. The ghost sees her as a link to bring back the dead. His wife Agnes. Rosemary refuses and hosts an seance to learn of the ghost. She tries to banish the ghost on a stormy night. it is winter time in the town and that makes it difficult for her to get away from the town. The house holds a dark secret- a dead body. She must give the ghost a proper burial and not reanimate the ghost's wife to have peace in the home. The challenge is how to make her a more interesting character. The eldritch ghost died at sea and is always dripping with damp sticky seaweed, which gets all over her house. She is tidy and is often repulsed by the pools of seaweed. Her cat acts up when the ghost is around. She is an extreme witch- where Janet is Christian- and they contrast each other well. She owns a purebred cat, a BlackBerry phone, is well educated and professional. She is widowed without kids.

The ghost opens the door to the locked room and sends her visions in her dreams. The ghost controls her to do things for the ghost that she later has no memory for. She is slowly beginning a romance with Scott- and tries to get over death of late husband. Scott becomes concerned.

Rosemary and Janet have an argument about their religious and spiritual backgrounds. Rosemary is a witch and Janet is a traditional Christian. Their fight causes them to part ways, against Rosemary's wishes, and Janet keeps Scott at her house. However, Scott has a fever and is sick from the weather. Rosemary returns home and this is when the ghost is at its worst. Rosemary needs their help but Janet and Scott aren't talking to her. However later Scott, feverish, goes to her house but the ghost makes Rosemary turn on him. The ghost is intent on controlling her. The ghost wants to bring Agnes back thru Rosemary. She wants to use her magic to banish the ghost but the ghost likes Rosemary and refuses to cross to the Other Side. The light comes for the ghost and Rosemary and everything else almost get pulled in. The ghost is strongly refusing to cross over, his wife IS coming back and Rosemary tries to send him to the light. She loses the photo she had of her late husband and that is her healing point- she breaks free of the ghost's hold on her and when the ghost sees his wife in the light, he moves on. By then, Rosemary is weak and exhausted and collapses. James finds her and they both fall asleep till morning. The story does need more conflict. I am working on it. That is at the near climax of the story. Janet is the one who knows all about Pleasant Bay and knew more about the ghost than she was letting on.

I know this is set in a rural area yet I strongly sense that the story would be stronger with some sort of ticking time bomb- she is running out of time. Maybe a curse that a certain ghost is destined to return to haunt at a certain time. I want the story to be original. How can I create that? Trust me, I am thinking hard on it. Would love some tips.

Whaddya think?

#30 Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*

Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Ever mind the Rule of Three!

#31 RinguGirl

RinguGirl

not a beer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationAsia

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

My WIP is a spin on a favorite Asian ghost story. MY MC is actually a Sadako-esque revenant who for once isn't channeling the rage borne from her murder into every random person that crosses her path - she kills (and kindof eats) people who murder young girls who suffered death similar to her own experiences. (I'm going to pitch it as The Grudge meets Dexter.) There's more conflict after that, with a little boy she meets with odd tattoos on his body and another opposing hate-spawned ghost (how do you defeat The Grudge? It's pretty clear that a normal person can't, but I say - with another Grudge!), but I haven't fully fleshed out that part yet. :D I love paranormal, but I wanted to try something that was more from a psychological viewpoint than just with usual gore.

It is also very much YA (if you consider a 15 year old dead girl who's been 15 for over 300 years a teenager) and first-person omniscient narrative. (I know it's a crazy premise and POV to write in, given the MC, but it's also fun!)

@Lady Spiderwitch - What's the conflict, though? Is the ghost making her do harmful things, or just odd ones? It sounds like an interesting read (cozy paranormal?), but I don't sense the urgency for her to help the ghost yet at this point, although I'm sure that'll be tackled the further you go. :)

#32 Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*

Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

My WIP is a spin on a favorite Asian ghost story. MY MC is actually a Sadako-esque revenant who for once isn't channeling the rage borne from her murder into every random person that crosses her path - she kills (and kindof eats) people who murder young girls who suffered death similar to her own experiences. (I'm going to pitch it as The Grudge meets Dexter.) There's more conflict after that, with a little boy she meets with odd tattoos on his body and another opposing hate-spawned ghost (how do you defeat The Grudge? It's pretty clear that a normal person can't, but I say - with another Grudge!), but I haven't fully fleshed out that part yet. :D I love paranormal, but I wanted to try something that was more from a psychological viewpoint than just with usual gore.

It is also very much YA (if you consider a 15 year old dead girl who's been 15 for over 300 years a teenager) and first-person omniscient narrative. (I know it's a crazy premise and POV to write in, given the MC, but it's also fun!)

@Lady Spiderwitch - What's the conflict, though? Is the ghost making her do harmful things, or just odd ones? It sounds like an interesting read (cozy paranormal?), but I don't sense the urgency for her to help the ghost yet at this point, although I'm sure that'll be tackled the further you go. :)

The ghost sees her as the way to bring his wife back from the dead. HIs wife might possess her and Rosemary has to stop it from happening. The eldritch ghost doesn't know he's dead.

#33 Countrymouse

Countrymouse

Literary mouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None––as of yet. Fingers crossed that that will change.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Lady,

Have you had you MS critiqued? You might want to find (if you haven't already) local or online writing partners to read a few chapters and look for any plotholes or anything else that might need fixing. Sounds like a fun story in an amazing setting.

Blessings,
Sue
Conventional opinion is the ruin of our Souls. ~Rumi~

#34 Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*

Guest_Lady Spiderwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

No, I haven't. I understand though. THe more I work on it, I feel like that too. Hmmm
I have heard of this site- Critters Workshop- and I signed up. They critique your writing and I critique other people's stories. I proofread a 167 page novel for someone this weekend. I submitted a sample of my ghost story. I have to wait but I am sure it will be worth it.

I shall follow up with more good news.

#35 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Planning a ghost story now -- based on something that actually happened to my husband. Not ghosts -- he became ill right before I met him through heavy metals in well water. Could have killed him if not for modern medicine. So I started thinking -- what if someone died in the past from that cause and their spouse was accused of poisoning them? Then years later the truth is uncovered by a descendent. The ghost(s) are seeking to reveal the truth and clear names, of course. Set in a small farming town like the one I grew up in, with lots of small town color.

Anyway, that's something I am working on right now.

#36 Twyx

Twyx

I once caught an agent THIS big

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Nada, zip, zilch. Open to all offers.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Boo.

I guess to toss it out there, here's what I thought would be a great paranormal book - been working on the plot since March 2009.

Roan, a fifteen year old boy, loses his fraternal twin sister to a series of strange events that begin in front of his eyes. Devastated, he can't help but blame himself since he was with her when the events started. His father was driving the car during the accident that took her life causing Mom to blame Dad. Now his family is falling apart and he feels responsible.

Inexplicably he gains psychic abilities. The strange feelings and the loss of his sister lead to the decision that noone can help him learn the truth of what he saw except maybe psychics in a passing fair. Roan is tangled into an underground group of powerful people as their leader is currently trying to stop the unravelling of a mistake - a mistake he made which only he knows.

Roan struggles to find himself and accept the feelings he's been experiencing, not to mention try to accept the situation he finds himself sucked into. The future of the world depends on his success.

I included more earlier but removed it.. i think it was giving too much away. :)
Living in a dream house, door's always open.

#37 khaulamazhar

khaulamazhar

I need chocolate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write articles for Dawn(Pakistan) magazine,Ferozsons (Pakistan)has published a short children's story I wrote,I have written one YA novel that is being published and one that I am still editing.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

I went through several lists that I had googled about the most popular sci-fi/paranormal/dystopian novels of all time, and they have some things that readers seem to always want:
1. future/ruined world :unsure:
2. dictatorship/oppression :humph:
3. no hope gosh!:
4. rebellious youth :cool:
5. loner/rebel/underdog who will become their leader :huh:
6. love triangle :wub:
7. war/riots/bloodshed :wacko:
8. supernatural being or highly developed powers of a normal human :laugh:
9. betrayal :sad:
So I am going to try and get them all in the novel I am starting, any more suggestions? For some reason I have written chapter five first and now the rest of the book is going both ways :blink:

#38 Jaé D

Jaé D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:unpublished

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

I went through several lists that I had googled about the most popular sci-fi/paranormal/dystopian novels of all time, and they have some things that readers seem to always want: 1. future/ruined world :unsure: 6. love triangle :wub: 8. supernatural being or highly developed powers of a normal human :laugh: 9. betrayal :sad: So I am going to try and get them all in the novel I am starting, any more suggestions? :blink:

I have some of those, not all. But good information, thanks. Mine takes place in two worlds, has humans with supernatural power (but they also have weaknesses, making them vulnerable), a love triangle, a lot of fighting, murder betrayal, several layers of protagonist-antagonist situations, demons with a sophisticated zombie phase-- I guess I'm requiring a lot of suspension of disbelief on the part of the readers.

Hard to write. Definitely hard. My hats off to writers of the Paranorm/Sci Fi/Fantasy stories. It takes a LOT of creativity, and it all has to make sense. Whew! I'm writing a romance novel, too. So much easier to write when the story is in our world, with just regular human being interaction.

Jaé D.
http://jacquedhoward.wordpress.com
http://groups.yahoo..../yatonawriters/
http://

#39 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

My new one (which I just learned not that long ago is a paranormal) is about a contract killer who becomes a reaper in the afterlife. The differences of this compared to other reaper stories is she is a newbie and doesn't have the powers we known are associated with being a reaper, such as becoming invisible, telepathic communication, etc.

She's basically humanlike except she can float and take souls. The main plot revolves around her list, (the book is called DEATH'S LIST) and she's caught reaping her first soul. The man who caught her gathers a manhunt to find her and captures her list. I wrote half already.

The WIP also involved a love interest. Her old lover (who also killed her) had been recruited to be a reaper and helps her through this trouble she's gotten herself in. Along the way, their love rekindles.

#40 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm working on a chapter book as a break between 'big' novels and it is a fun challenge. It has ghosties in it which sent me to beloved Google. Well, turns out some of my beliefs about ghosts are wrong! Myths debunked left and right. Hmmm... Requires me to rethink some aspects of my story. Do I perpetuate some of the common-held myths, or do I debunk them? Probably, I'll settle on a bit of both.

I think debunkable myths leave a savory spot for your own fictional myth. Sort of like Meyer did for vampies and what Rowling did for Wizards.

I have a young adult series opener on the back burner about witches (more along the lines of THE CRAFT than Harry Potter) and one of the things I debunk is a witches fondness for black cats. But in the world of my book, the truth is that this is a myth, started by people who pose as witches, and that real witches prefer serpents.
"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users