Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have a young adult series opener on the back burner about witches (more along the lines of THE CRAFT than Harry Potter) and one of the things I debunk is a witches fondness for black cats. But in the world of my book, the truth is that this is a myth, started by people who pose as witches, and that real witches prefer serpents.

I like it!

I've finished my MS revolving around a pair of guardian angels and it was fun to write. It ended up with a lot more humor than I'd planned.

Now I'm working on a woman who hears voices. These voices tell her all she needs to know to solve cold case murders from long ago. Do the voices belong to the murderers or the victims? And why does she hear them, but not see them? When FBI agent, Caden O'Connor, Mr. Disbeliever himself, shows up on her doorstep, it turns out, he sees ghosts and a hell of a lot more.

Ahh crap. Here comes the humor again!

#42 Cisco

Cisco

Keep watching the skies...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Graphic novel, video game related articles and reviews, short films. Wait. Does film festival screenings count? Eh ... probably not.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

I've actually got a pretty clearcut idea for my next few writing projects as I'm adapting several of my television transcripts and film screenplays into novels. I just got tired of having them sit around waiting to get funded in order to be produced (this was waaaay before I heard about kickstarter). I've been sitting on over a decades worth of written material I couldn't do much with. :sad:

I just finished my manuscript for "FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES" which is a paranormal story with a blend of science-fiction. Think Twilight with aliens. (Actually, don't. lol!)

I have two paranormal WIPs down the pipeline that I plan to write next. The first is the follow up to my "FRIENDS" manuscript called "THE PYRAMID SCHEME."

And the other WIP I'm going to adapt is a zombie comedy called "DATING ADVICE FROM THE APOCALYPSE."

I actually did a short film based on DAFTA. You can check out a silly trailer I made for it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-wSyUJK0s8

#43 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Jeez, I pull up this thread, and I can't believe that I was one of the last to post on it. And here I am, back to pat myself on the back, because I just finished another MS. It feels so good, that I just had to share with others who would understand that euphoric feeling of typing in that last line.

I had a tough time with the final chapters: wrapping it all up and finally bringing all the clues together for the reader. I wanted to make sure the pace was just right. I didn't want to rush it and wrap things up too fast, or take so long that I risked having a reader say: "All right already, get to it!"  I hope I've done the story justice, because I think the concept is a good one.

And by popular demand from beta readers, I've decided to make it a series. Apparently, they are all the rage these days. I'm calling it my series of: "Paranormal Crime Solving Mysteries."

Book 1 - just completed is currently titled: Sleepless

Book 2 - outlined and started, is currently titled: Visual Contact

If you're interested in reading more about Sleepless, there's a brief outline contained on my blog - so I wouldn't repeat it here. 

As I said, I just wanted to share.  And I'm curious as to what everyone else is working on. Anyone doing a series?

#44 DNichole

DNichole

Escape from reality - Write!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Love Always, Kate - NA contemporary
    The Spirit - YA Urban fantasy releasing April 29, 2014

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thought I'd share my works in progress. It's a series of three, based on the philosophical idea that a human being is made of three parts: Spirit, Body, Soul. So, the titles of my three novels are: The Spirit, The Body, and The Soul. My idea came from a thought that if you are missing one of these elements, you are no longer a living being. The premis is about a ghost - Spirit - who must reunite with his soul in order to cross-over into the afterlife. If he doesn't find it, he will fade into nothingness. It's a love story, as he falls in love with a living girl. He is torn between being with her as long as he can, thus risking fading away, or finding his soul and crossing over. There are many other elements, of course, but that's the basic plotline.

Follow me on Twitter: dNicholeKing

Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/D-Nichole-King/127774904070474

Friend me on Goodreads! https://www.goodread...uthor/dashboard

Not all who wander are lost.  J.R.R. Tolkien

#45 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thought I'd share my works in progress. It's a series of three, based on the philosophical idea that a human being is made of three parts: Spirit, Body, Soul. So, the titles of my three novels are: The Spirit, The Body, and The Soul. My idea came from a thought that if you are missing one of these elements, you are no longer a living being. The premis is about a ghost - Spirit - who must reunite with his soul in order to cross-over into the afterlife. If he doesn't find it, he will fade into nothingness. It's a love story, as he falls in love with a living girl. He is torn between being with her as long as he can, thus risking fading away, or finding his soul and crossing over. There are many other elements, of course, but that's the basic plotline.

I like the premise. Sounds very interesting and like a good read. Best of luck with it.

#46 Derek_C

Derek_C

Meow.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

I'm working on an adult urban fantasy novel, set in Toronto. The basic story involves a necromancer who is just learning about his abilities, while the city is threatened by an undead spirit that drives people to suicide - and an old, dormant pact that the villains want to fulfill to gain control of it. The subject matter is a bit heavy, but I'd like to think I treat it with the respect it deserves. Necromancers are a bit more varied and different than they are in common 'myth.' For one thing, it's not something that people really choose. Most necromancers have their powers because they came close to death and were saved (by magic or medicine). Sometimes, when a person is saved, they bring a little piece of the Afterworld back with them. Necromancy is equal and opposite to another force, called wild magic, with which it shares a sort of yin-yang relationship - opposite, but not opposing, interrelated and interdependent. There's even a character who comments on the fact that the term 'necromancy' is a bit of a misnomer, but that the term's been used for centuries and just kind of stuck. Despite starring a necromancer, there aren't any vampires in the series, though there are things from which the vampire myth emerged (though they don't show up until later books), and are nothing like the vampires as they are in modern pop culture.

The book's working title is Suicide Pact. I've been slowly trimming down its word count (the first draft was 150,000 words!), but I'm worrying I might not be able to get it down below 130 - and even that might be a stretch.

It's a stand-alone story, but I have a much larger, more epic and complex story planned, which I want to reveal slowly over the series, ala the Dresden Files. The second book's planned title is Ravenous Dead.

#47 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Wow!  Heavy and interesting.

Sounds like you're going to have a hard time describing the story in just a few sentences, as in a "pitch" to possible agents/publishers.  Best of luck!

#48 Derek_C

Derek_C

Meow.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Wow!  Heavy and interesting.

Sounds like you're going to have a hard time describing the story in just a few sentences, as in a "pitch" to possible agents/publishers.  Best of luck!

Thanks. :)

Yeah, it's been a challenge. I've scrapped and/or revamped a ton query drafts by now. Thankfully most of that description up there isn't essential to a query, it's just lore of the world that I think is neat. The basic plot can be summed up with the sentence, "The basic story involves a necromancer who is just learning about his abilities, while the city is threatened by an undead spirit that drives people to suicide - and an old, dormant pact that the villains want to fulfill to gain control of it."

Hrm...you know, I think that might be the most succinct that I've ever described it. I should take that and use it as the baseline for the pitch and see what I can do with it.

#49 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Sounds good, and again, good luck with it.

#50 Katie Bailey

Katie Bailey

A fool with a notebook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Talk about our WIPs?  Well, I'll give it a go.

I'm currently working on a series of three paranormal lines that, eventually, come to intersect.  Some of the books deal with a group of amateur ghost hunters, some with Vampire Hunting, and some with zombie slaying.  They're fairly character-driven, and, while they do touch on harsher elements of, say, emotional abuse, suicide, and alcoholism, to name a few, there's a solid dose of satirical elements and outright humor in them.  They incorporate a lot of twists on urban legends and lore while still having new dynamics to pull various aspects together.  At current, I have books 1 and 4 (both dealing with my ghost hunters) completed and I'm a third-to-halfway through the first draft of book 2.  Come November, I plan on starting the 3rd book for NaNoWriMo.

That's the nice way of putting it.  The realistic way of putting it is, "I write a bunch of sarcastic, dysfunctional characters who do stupid things and handle the weird stuff shockingly well."

It's official:  I run on coffee and sarcasm.

#51 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

"I write a bunch of sarcastic, dysfunctional characters who do stupid things and handle the weird stuff shockingly well."

Great pitch line!  You should consider using this in your query, as well.

#52 Katie Bailey

Katie Bailey

A fool with a notebook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Great pitch line!  You should consider using this in your query, as well.

Hmmm...I'll see if I can find a smooth way to fit it in!  Thanks!!!

It's official:  I run on coffee and sarcasm.

#53 RaulersonWrites

RaulersonWrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Represented by Laura Bradford.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hello all!  This forum is so quiet, I figured I'd try and add a bit of life to it.  I'm currently editing a novel tentatively called Blood Moon about shamans and werewolves.  I'm also working on an Urban Fantasy about dragon riders, as well as one that I'm not quite sure where it's going as of yet, but I'm seriously intrigued by it.  

#54 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

I'm in the exact middle of the third and last book in my dark fantasy/fairytale retelling trilogy, Queen of Cinders.  Things are going well and truly off the rails for the characters, and I've only got half a book to get everyone into their farewell cubby.  But that's still going to give me about two hundred pages to work with, as this one's longer then the others.

The books have a number of tales woven into the structure, and part of the fun is realizing which character is playing what role in which fairy tale or nursery rhyme.  So far, I've incorporated the plots of Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, Rose Red, Peter Pan, various folk myths (Like the Russian character Baba Yaga), historical figures, and even rhymes such as Jack and Jill.  As you can imagine, it's complex, and I'm looking at what might motivate real people to act the roles of the source materials (usually other than the Grimm versions, which are tiresome).

They are right on the edge of the horror genre.

Not for the kiddoes.

#55 CheG

CheG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Forthcoming- Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight from Black Opal Books
    And lots of other stuff...

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'm working on the sequel  to my novella. It's going pretty good so far :) Happily. Though not all my projects are going as well.

DogFightcoversigsize_zpsfe772a9d.jpg

Please check out my MG query here 

#56 RaulersonWrites

RaulersonWrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Represented by Laura Bradford.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

We all struggle with projects sometimes CheG.  Just keep pushin' through it.  You'll get there. 

#57 Cutedreams

Cutedreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAsia

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm working on a fantasy novel where a girl discovers that she is the reincarnation of a goddess. Her son is possessed by an evil spirit that killed her in her past life and she has to find a way to de-possess him or kill him together with the spirit. Sounds simple enough but I don't know why, the more I write, the more complex it gets!  :blink:Now I have the main character stuck in a dungeon while her possessed son tries to open Pandora's Box (in the story, the Pandora's Box is a gate to a coffin where the body of the evil spirit.). For some reason, I am obsessed with this story and am not working on any other stuffs~

#58 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hello, I'm Blueberry Tide, and I've had a supernatural romance on the backburners for a while. It's in very rough drafts stage and about 80k words. The basis when that when a young woman died her love is given the chance to bring her back to life. He goes through with it and things happen because of it. (Best summary ever - I know).

One problem that I've had is the setting. I'm not sure in what time period I want the story to be set. Right now it's way back when boats were the main transport. The reasoning behind that is I feel as thought technology takes something away from a story. However, I feel like romances set in old times are really cliche. But, on the side of old times, there are some elements within the story that would be better. I'm sure there are advantages to the modern time frame as well, though. 

#59 Marie Frebronze

Marie Frebronze

Supernaturalist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

First of all, I'd like to state that mystery/thriller novels have kind of been my thing since I was six years old and read my first copy of Nancy Drew. I also like Dungeons & Dragons and The World of Darkness.

Those things being said, it should come as no suprise that my baby, my tiny WIP, is a supernatural mystery/thriller starring a mage. It also touches on other supernatural beings (lycanthropes, vampires, shapeshifters, psychics - you name it, Southport's got it).

Of course, the biggest danger here is that it's already been done. Jim Butcher has written a phenomenal series known as The Dresden Files, and Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books are nothing to scoff at. I'm drawing some influence from both series, while trying to remain as original as possible.

Here's the plot breakdown:

Artemis Wilder, mage, is called out to assist the police in a murder that the press is calling supernatural in nature. Before long, he discovers evidence pointing to his ex-lover and mentor, Balthazar (Zar for short) Kauffman. However, when Zar shows up proclaiming his innocence, Artemis finds himself in a race against time as the killer closes in on him  - and everyone he holds dear.

"I’m no rabbit... I’m a phoenix. Beat me down, and I will be reborn in fire, stronger and stronger each time." - Artemis Wilder

My writing blog: http://mariefrebronze.tumblr.com

My real-life blog: http://cafeintellect.tumblr.com

#60 Jamaica305

Jamaica305

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

World building is the best thing once you pick up stream. But world breaking is my my thing. I like to rewrite the old myths and make the reader reconsidered everything they thought they knew about their own world. For me that's what keeps the pages turning
Jah bless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users