#21 Nä-lé Änäkä

Nä-lé Änäkä

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:38 AM

I thought of using a different name but I love being who I am. I only shorten it to initials for space, and you can't read my first name when I sign it anyway.

#22 Nila N Brown

Nila N Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self published two short stories on Smashwords and a short story "Blue Caladium" in the inaugural May 2013 edition of the Kingdom of Fantasy Magazine in London. I've also self published a trilogy, "Kurai Utopia," and a children's book, "When You Die, You Go To Mississippi." currently working on the sequel to "Mississippi."

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

Full name - Nila N. Brown. I used to hate my name but now I see it as a brand. 

#23 DavFL589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published one ebook, Ravaged Souls on Smashwords.

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

Used initials and last name. I'm from a very small town (pop approx. 3k) that leans heavily to the red side of the red-blue state spectrum. Given that my work touched pretty heavily on controversial subject matter I was really tempted to go with a pen name instead of my real name. In the end I just couldn't. The idea of hiding behind a pen name just left too much of a bad taste in my mouth, but then again I wasn't quite ready to lead with my chin either so initials seemed like the best compromise for me.

#24 RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

My agent suggested going "gender neutral" because my first MS is first person in a girl's voice - so a male name on the cover makes that hard on the reader's inner voice. I'm cool with that.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#25 R.T. Leslie

R.T. Leslie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

How I decide is because of J.k Rowling I like the way it look for her and I like the way it is for me.

#26 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

I decided to go with a full pen name for multiple reasons. First, because I lost my middle name when I got married and I really liked it. Second, because I was named after my great-grandfather so using his last name was a way to honor that. Third, because I have my hands (or keys if you will) in a lot of different pies in the publishing world and I like to keep things separate. I do non-fiction, I do journalism, I do poetry, I freelance, and I'm trying to set up my own publisher. Keeping the fantasy books separate seemed a no-brainer.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users