12 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

Have some great resources you want to share or 'pin' somewhere so you don't lose them? Place them here! Anything you feel might help the writing needs of this group's members.

The Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena (ASSAP) These folks have "been investigating the weird seriously (and the seriously weird) since 1981. Our main aims are paranormal research and education. Anomalous phenomena include psychic phenomena (including ghosts, ESP), UFOs, Forteana and earth mysteries."

They've got some great articles on what a haunting really is--oh, how our common beliefs are flawed! Different kinds of ghosts. Spirits. Is your house haunted? Strange sounds. UFOs. Pictures.

Have some myths debunked at this site.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hey, William--

In case it's a helpful resource, I wanted to stop by and let folks know about the discussion group that author Jenny Crusie is hosting on the topic of Gothic Romances. If you visit her community at www.cherryforums.com, you can see the reading list, read the posted discussions to date, and participate in the current discussion. For anyone unfamiliar with Jenny, she's a writing Craft genius, and her latest book is MAYBE THIS TIME, a take on the ghost story/Gothic THE TURN OF THE SCREW.

CONGRATULATIONS on the group, William!

Lucy sent this over. I, for one, am going to check it out. Please look for more resource links and such here. I will be posting them as I get them collected. Thanks all!

#3 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Here is a forum for demon hunters I found. It gives some good insight into the beliefs of real people who are into this sort of thing.

http://www.experienc...ies.php?g=87075

#4 Lucy

Lucy

Veteran Member

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hey, William--

In case it's a helpful resource, I wanted to stop by and let folks know about the discussion group that author Jenny Crusie is hosting on the topic of Gothic Romances. If you visit her community at www.cherryforums.com, you can see the reading list, read the posted discussions to date, and participate in the current discussion. For anyone unfamiliar with Jenny, she's a writing Craft genius, and her latest book is MAYBE THIS TIME, a take on the ghost story/Gothic THE TURN OF THE SCREW.

CONGRATULATIONS on the group, William!

Lucy sent this over. I, for one, am going to check it out. Please look for more resource links and such here. I will be posting them as I get them collected. Thanks all!

It's in the Cherry Forums Book Club, under Gothic Book Club, if anyone's having trouble finding it.

#5 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:03 AM

Time to Write blogs Here is a good place (one among many) to check out some thoughts on genre trends. There are some postings here that are specific to paranormal. Feel free to post any trends in the paranormal here. I will post more shortly.

#6 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

This is kinda interesting. I don't necessarily hold to everything here, but there are some interesting things to check out. I particularly liked her article Paranormal Fiction on the home page. http://www.visualart...ion.com/?p=4678

#7 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

This is a pretty good blog. She talks about mash-ups of various sorts, how they are trending including paranormal. http://nancyjcohen.w...rends-mash-ups/

#8 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the links! I'm particularly interested in the mash-ups trends since I always seem to mix genres multiple genres.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#9 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Have some great resources you want to share or 'pin' somewhere so you don't lose them? Place them here! Anything you feel might help the writing needs of this group's members.

The Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena (ASSAP) These folks have "been investigating the weird seriously (and the seriously weird) since 1981. Our main aims are paranormal research and education. Anomalous phenomena include psychic phenomena (including ghosts, ESP), UFOs, Forteana and earth mysteries."

They've got some great articles on what a haunting really is--oh, how our common beliefs are flawed! Different kinds of ghosts. Spirits. Is your house haunted? Strange sounds. UFOs. Pictures.

Have some myths debunked at this site.

Jean, thanks for this link. I have been checking it out as I can. It's better than most I have seen.:wink:

#10 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

This is a great Penguin site http://us.penguingro...edia_id=4593494

#11 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I found another good resource when I was looking for a protag.

http://witcheslore.c...ernatural/2776/

#12 Artamiss Caine

Artamiss Caine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published one short story as an e-book on Barnes and Noble.com and for Amazon Kindle: Reflections in a Glass of Pinot

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the awesome links! I didn't even know these were out there. I was going off the stories I grew up with and picking the brains of my family members and friends about their cultures/ experiences.
I have a need to be quirky and witty...being reasonable is a side effect.

#13 khaulamazhar

khaulamazhar

I need chocolate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write articles for Dawn(Pakistan) magazine,Ferozsons (Pakistan)has published a short children's story I wrote,I have written one YA novel that is being published and one that I am still editing.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the awesome links! I didn't even know these were out there. I was going off the stories I grew up with and picking the brains of my family members and friends about their cultures/ experiences.

Same here, I didn't know there was so much stuff to use, feel kind of silly now :blush:, haven't gone through all of these yet and I was wondering, dystopian novels have always been popular, but these days ever since vampires and werewolves have started to fade they are all I see kids read. Does this trend have a chance it will fade soon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users