13 replies to this topic

#1 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

Feel free to discuss anything here that leans more toward the Horror and Thriller genres. True hair raising and edge of seat sitting are rampant in these genres and both are an art to be studied. We really can make the heart race!

#2 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

How do you define thriller? Like a psychological thriller that makes my insides quiver while reading? One that is so psychologically whacked out it feels unreal even though there is nothing truely paranormal about it? I love those kinds of books.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#3 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thriller is a pretty broad description to me. Many stories can be thrilling in some way, but I picture 'thriller' more as a full out, edge of your seat kind of thing. For the most part, I find paranormal and thriller to be very different. Unless it is something like Blatty's Exorsist, I find true paranormal stories to be much more subtle in nature compared to a thriller. A thriller to me hurls one through loops and crazy eights of a roller coaster, while paranormal is walking alone in the woods as the night descends. These are all IMHO ideas and many many examples of the opposite being true can be found.

#4 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

I think the one thing I had to figure out myself, was that the 'horror' I grew up with, was not considered horror anymore. Remember those bad 'B' movies from the '50, '60 and early '70's? That's what I thought horror was. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#5 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

I put my current MS being queried in to the "paranormal thriller" category because it had aspects of both. The thriller part of it is the MCs trying to stay ahead of the MA and reach the goal. It can be a "remainder" genre--if something doesn't fit anywhere else but has action and suspense, put it in thriller. I'm not saying it's right...just how it happens sometimes.

I agree with Darke: definitions change over time.

#6 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

I agree with that! I remember my dad watching black and white flicks with bad rubber replicas of severed heads being slung around. The only thing more 'horrible' than the visuals was the soundtrack! YIKES! I think 'horror' has changed too. Back then it seemed nearly just plain overboard was 'horror.'

#7 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

You know, really. Stephen King said, "Genre is something that was created for libraries and bookstores to neatly categorize authors." I agree.

#8 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

You know, really. Stephen King said, "Genre is something that was created for libraries and bookstores to neatly categorize authors." I agree.

LOL! I had forgotten that one. Perfectly said.

#9 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Amen MzBuzz

#10 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

I put my current MS being queried in to the "paranormal thriller" category because it had aspects of both. The thriller part of it is the MCs trying to stay ahead of the MA and reach the goal.

That's what I'm calling mine as well. Almost sounds like we're writing the same novel. :unsure:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#11 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thriller is a pretty broad description to me. Many stories can be thrilling in some way, but I picture 'thriller' more as a full out, edge of your seat kind of thing. For the most part, I find paranormal and thriller to be very different. Unless it is something like Blatty's Exorsist, I find true paranormal stories to be much more subtle in nature compared to a thriller. A thriller to me hurls one through loops and crazy eights of a roller coaster, while paranormal is walking alone in the woods as the night descends. These are all IMHO ideas and many many examples of the opposite being true can be found.

I'd say if you compare these two categories to an amusement park ride, Thriller would be comparable to the roller coaster and paranormal would be the Haunted House.

#12 mcfangus

mcfangus

The martini is proof that God loves us.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:newspaper op-eds

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

There could be a distinction, viz. a thriller depicts in an exciting manner events that could really exist; horror might do that too (Hannibal Lector anyone?), but generally paranormal treats themes that do not occur in reality. Of course, there can be nice blending of the two, such as the Pendergast books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

#13 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

There could be a distinction, viz. a thriller depicts in an exciting manner events that could really exist; horror might do that too (Hannibal Lector anyone?), but generally paranormal treats themes that do not occur in reality. Of course, there can be nice blending of the two, such as the Pendergast books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

This clarifies pretty well for me. I am not familiar with the Pendergast books. I will look for them.

#14 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

That's what I'm calling mine as well. Almost sounds like we're writing the same novel. :unsure:

:laugh:

All plots can be broken down into basic themes. As I am a newbie, I am honored to share a theme with you, however basic the comparison. (Toasting you with coffee.) I bow to your experience and wisdom. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users