#1 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Proud indie author =)

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

I finally did it... I just released my short story Give It Up! It's short and sweet (and a little steamy), something  that can be read in one sitting. It's only available at Smashwords for the time being and I'm hoping to have it up at other retailers very soon.

https://www.smashwor...oks/view/418446

Rules are meant to be broken.

#2 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Just a head's up, you have a spelling mistake in the first line: "My heels are way too high and my skirt is too shirt..." I assume you mean "my skirt is too short:smile: 

#3 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Lol oops! Thanks for the heads up =)

#4 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Did you have the story edited before offering it for sale? Because that's not the only error in the first page. Multiple spelling/grammatical errors will throw potential purchasers off.

#5 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

I mostly self-edited it as much as I could. I actually caught a few more when I went back. Good thing about Smashwords is it lets you re-upload whenever.

#6 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Congrats on putting yourself out there! It's not easy to do. But if you want this to be a business or career for you, be careful about jumping the gun. Professional editing is so important because if a total stranger happens upon your book and decides to pass on it before you go back to fix mistakes, you've already lost them. Good luck!

#7 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Congrats on putting yourself out there! It's not easy to do. But if you want this to be a business or career for you, be careful about jumping the gun. Professional editing is so important because if a total stranger happens upon your book and decides to pass on it before you go back to fix mistakes, you've already lost them. Good luck!

Thanks..and so true! I found multiple errors but I was able to fix them.

#8 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Malz, first let me say congratulations. I know the feeling when your first book hits the virtual bookshelf. Take the advice of AWExley and J Lo to heart, because it is the truth. You only have one first impression to hook a reader. If you lose them, you've lost a sale and a potential recommendation if they like it. Go to your genre forum and seek out some good CP's and get their opinion. As an indie author you don't have access to all the tools a traditional publishing house gives you (like editors), so you need to do everything you can to make your work stand out. Not only does it help your book, but it also helps you learn, making each new book a bit easier. Good luck and keep on writing !! 

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users