#1 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I'm interested in actual experiences with the paranormal and the sensory data that accompanies them. There are the usual things everybody expects to feel like chills and hair standing on end, but what are some of those other uncanny things not quite so common we can fill people in on? I think having an experience 'pool' might be valuable for us as writers.

So...this said, I'll begin. Cue the woo..woo..music. :wink:
I have had several out-of-body experiences, and one of the things I never see mentioned in writing when people are having this kind of experience is the feeling that you are extremely HEAVY when you return to your body. In fiction people seem to just float out and float back in and that's it.
No way. The body feels like a block of lead and somewhat foreign. I have had the feeling linger as well, almost like having the flu.

Ok. Anybody else??

#2 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

I can't say that I have had an actual out of body experience, but I have had a feeling that sounds a bit like yours when returning from a dream state. Ever since I can remember, my dreams have always been as real as the waking world. This, over the years, has brought many beautiful and terrifying experiences to my nightly 'journeys' as I refer to them. In a psychology class in college, I had a professor that had the same sort of nightly experiences. She asked me if I had 'lucid' dreams. At the time I had not heard of that. So she introduced me to techniques to use that promote a lucid state in dreams. After some time, I found they did work. It was after these lucid episodes that I felt what I would describe as being under water when I returned to a waking state. It almost seemed as if there was some kind of resistance to my movements. I suppose that could also be described as a 'heaviness'. I no longer purposefully attempt lucid dreaming, but on occasion, it happens anyway and every time, I wake with that same sensation. It is very interesting to me that you describe such a similar feeling after an actual out of body experience.

#3 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

CC, no out of body experiences. I think it would freak me out!

William, I am a lucid dreamer. Have been since I was a child. In fact, I don't ever remember not being able to actively participate in my dreams and change their direction when necessary. I don't know that it has ever affected how I feel as a whole, but I definitely experience every physical affect of my dream self: pain and pleasure.

I know this isn't paranormal, but it's also not very common.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

I've attempted out of body experiences, but it seemed like each attempt was foiled by me falling asleep. lol. It did happen once or twice but the realization that it was happening jolted me out of it. I don't lucid dream often (and don't remember most of my dreams, for that matter), but I do have a few recurring dreams that are the same each and every time, and are always more vivid than my normal dreams. They're also a bit bizarre-- some futuristic mash up of the city I was born in, except it looks like it's 100 years from now, and I'm on the back of some motorbike. Why this dream keeps repeating, I've no idea.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm not sure I lucid dream or not. I've heard the term, but don't exactly konw its meaning. I often have very vivid dreams (almost always in color, BTW; the only B/W dreams I've ever had have had a film noir feel to them). There was one dream that helped me realize that I was supposed to marry the woman who's now my wife. I also have had dreams return after many years and there was a feeling of familiarity to them. Some of them have been ... well, not violent, but almost ... call them filled with foreboding.

None of this is paranormal, of course.

#6 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

I've attempted out of body experiences, but it seemed like each attempt was foiled by me falling asleep. lol. It did happen once or twice but the realization that it was happening jolted me out of it. I don't lucid dream often (and don't remember most of my dreams, for that matter), but I do have a few recurring dreams that are the same each and every time, and are always more vivid than my normal dreams. They're also a bit bizarre-- some futuristic mash up of the city I was born in, except it looks like it's 100 years from now, and I'm on the back of some motorbike. Why this dream keeps repeating, I've no idea.

Maybe you should use this scene in a story somewhere and as the story begins to write itself you might find out what it's about? Just a thought...:blush:

#7 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'm not sure I lucid dream or not. I've heard the term, but don't exactly konw its meaning. I often have very vivid dreams (almost always in color, BTW; the only B/W dreams I've ever had have had a film noir feel to them). There was one dream that helped me realize that I was supposed to marry the woman who's now my wife. I also have had dreams return after many years and there was a feeling of familiarity to them. Some of them have been ... well, not violent, but almost ... call them filled with foreboding.

How do we really know there is nothing paranormal in dreams? We automatically assume that paranormal experiences happen only in the waking state. A dream that helped you realize who your wife would or should be sounds like more than just neurons randomly dancing around in your brain. Whose to say? (I have never had a film noir dream. That would be cool)

#8 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

CC, no out of body experiences. I think it would freak me out!

William, I am a lucid dreamer. Have been since I was a child. In fact, I don't ever remember not being able to actively participate in my dreams and change their direction when necessary. I don't know that it has ever affected how I feel as a whole, but I definitely experience every physical affect of my dream self: pain and pleasure.

I know this isn't paranormal, but it's also not very common.

With some of the experiences I have had with lucid dreaming Cat, I don't know if I could take it every night!Posted Image

#9 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

Interesting that you say it's not paranormal. :wink: I think all of these things have potential as paranormal incidents...combine something like pre-cognition with other phenomena and wow.

#10 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Agreed, CC. What an interesting thought. I know dreams are so tough to sell, but the idea is intriguing.

And since my dreams are so realistic, it could be totally conceivable. The other night I dreamed I was tortured and murdered. Felt all the pain until I made a lucid break from my dream self. Then I just watched the rest of the "story" unfold. Pretty gruesome to see one's self dumped in a river and watch your own hair float in the current.

I did dream once of my neighbor's husband cheating on her. Three days later she confided in me that he'd been acting strangely ay home. A month later it was confirmed.

I also have, on four occasions, known with utmost certainty the sex of friends' babies. I always call soon to be babes Baby. Yet with these four I referred to as he or she, which birth proved right in all four cases.

Cat Woods

#11 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Maybe you should use this scene in a story somewhere and as the story begins to write itself you might find out what it's about? Just a thought...:blush:

Awesome idea, William!

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#12 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

Agreed, CC. What an interesting thought. I know dreams are so tough to sell, but the idea is intriguing.

And since my dreams are so realistic, it could be totally conceivable. The other night I dreamed I was tortured and murdered. Felt all the pain until I made a lucid break from my dream self. Then I just watched the rest of the "story" unfold. Pretty gruesome to see one's self dumped in a river and watch your own hair float in the current.

I did dream once of my neighbor's husband cheating on her. Three days later she confided in me that he'd been acting strangely ay home. A month later it was confirmed.

I also have, on four occasions, known with utmost certainty the sex of friends' babies. I always call soon to be babes Baby. Yet with these four I referred to as he or she, which birth proved right in all four cases.

Wow. :cool:

#13 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I used to read Tarot cards and I've had several incredible experiences before I gave them up for the sake of a peaceful relationship with my in-laws (complete mistake, I know.)

Reading for complete strangers is easier than people you know. I never really understood why, but I could make connections between the cards easier. There was less 'jumble'. :P Sorry I can't find a better description.

I remember one reading in particular--a coworker I barely knew--who I read for. There was a weird vibe whenever I laid his cards out. It wasn't really like I was dreaming. Actually, it felt like I was buzzing after a couple of beers. Or maybe like the tunnel vision you hear about from football players. Things SEEMED incredibly clear, but everything outside the cards grew a little fuzzy. To this day, I don't know who else watched the reading (a bunch of people were there), but I remember most of what I told him and I remember the person I was reading for.

Anyway, toward the end of the reading, I told him he was going overseas for a trip and a relative would be there. I guessed 'aunt' and he freaked out. Apparently it was exactly right and he hadn't told anyone yet. Of course, he could have been pulling my chain, but it shook me up. I instantly put my cards away and the 'buzz' went with them. I felt shaken inside, kind of like I had stage fright but with more heebie-geebies in my stomach.

As another related story, there was an incident when I got rid of my cards. I didn't have the heart to throw them away, so I gave them to a Wiccan friend of mine. They BIT her. I'm not kidding. When I handed them over, I felt a shock go through my arm and she pulled back her hand like she'd touched a stove. The cards went all over the place and she wouldn't help me pick them up. It's been a while, but I think she had me purify them again before they were willing to be handed over.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#14 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

That's a bit dosconcerting, Eli. I can handle the general feeling of something about, but I don't like inanimate objects to do things of their own volition. That is more than I am comfortable with.

Cat Woods

#15 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

Maybe it's because I've got an overactive imagination, but I have weird stuff like that happen all the time. I was sitting in my friend's driveway once and I was in a good position to see his whole house. I got this feeling of absolute certainty--dunno where it came from. So I blurted, "You've got a spirit in that corner of your attic. She's pissed." And I pointed. And he got really pale. Then he tells me the spot is right over his room (I hadn't been inside his house yet). He tells me he's been having nightmares and waking up with the feeling of being strangled. I did my poor best to deal with it, but I'll probably sound even more looney if I say how.

That reminds me... I need to ask if he still had problems after that. It'd be cool if he didn't.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#16 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

You'd be one fun gal to slumber party with! If you ever want to go on a ghost hunt, let me know. I'm all in!

Cat Woods

#17 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Those are some cool experiences, Eli! Even if they're a bit freaky. You should def. try the gotpsi.org tests. lol.

Cat, count me in! Too bad we all live so far from each other. A friend of mine and I used to go to graveyards at night to take photos, back when I lived in Salem, MA. We got some funky pics. lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#18 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hehehe. I have an eclectic background. I could tell real-life stories until dawn. For example, I can tell you what it feels like to be filled with the holy ghost in the pentecostal version--that's the group who dance around and speak in tongues. The incident is probably what made me lose a lot of my faith in religious systems and look outside the box for fulfillment. It was like peer pressure on crack.

I could also tell you about another ghost incident at a nursing home my mother worked at. As soon as I walked into the building, I knew something was strange. It's not like I got a chill or anything. And it wasn't like I got the creeps. Like I said before, it was just a 'sense of certainty'. Like I knew I couldn't be wrong if I said something about it. I asked my mom about it and she said there had been reports of a ghost lurking around. Most of the nurses took it as ramblings of the elderly since there was a cemetery nearby, but my mom also admitted she'd encountered it personally. I dealt with that in the same way as the other one I mentioned.

#19 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

CC- Yes, I've had the heavy feeling after OOB experiences or astral projection. I hate it.

Eli- Cool! I'll bet we could tell stories for days!

I love this stuff. It's part of my everyday life. I've had so many experiences, I could write a book! :blink:

#20 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

Those are some cool experiences, Eli! Even if they're a bit freaky. You should def. try the gotpsi.org tests. lol.

Cat, count me in! Too bad we all live so far from each other. A friend of mine and I used to go to graveyards at night to take photos, back when I lived in Salem, MA. We got some funky pics. lol.

I've tried those tests, but I always come out as average. Looks like gotpsi.org isn't any different. I tried a few and I came out 'below chance'. IE Mundane Some people blame it on the computer screen, but I'm not sure if that would make any difference. I'm just as bad when it comes to picking machines at the casino when my mom drags me out there. :P

The ghost incidents I mentioned aren't something I look for. They just happen--which reminds me of the time I was going down the road in a car. As I got close to an overpass, I saw a girl hanging off the side like she was going to jump. A second later, she was gone. Thank goodness I wasn't driving. Scared the crap out of me.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just a closet Schizo.

Although... I DID feel the need to write my characters as they watched a news report on a major catastrophe in my fanfiction (earthquake specifically).... and Haiti happened a few days later.

And in grade school, I checked out 'Aladdin' and... a few days later... they announced the movie. Dunno if that counts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users