• Publishing Experience:only my HS newspaper

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Not schizo but definately sensitive!

#62 Guest_Alaska Rose_*

Guest_Alaska Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

wow. interesting stuff you guys.

One morning I was loading our jeep to go fishing (it was still dark outside) and as I'm putting in a fishing pole, I see something out of the corner of my eye. Curioius, I turn around and scream. Yes. I literally screamed. What I saw was a little girl in a bonnet, an old dress, carrying a basket of fruit (think little house on the prairie) and in half a second she wasn't there. There and gone. Long enough for me to know what I saw, yet short enough for me to know it wasn't a real little kid. My dad came running out. I told him. He said I was seeing things. He believes me now. I just think he didn't want to hear about it...he's lived through stuff you'd see in a horror film.

But that's really the only thing I've ever seen. And known for sure what I saw. More often I hear voices. Not conversations, just snippets of something random or directed. The other morning I was woken up by someone whispering my name. Only thing was, when I sat up, no one was there. I went around the house and everyone was asleep. This has happened before. I heard my name distinctively once while I was awake, doing chores. Another time I was on the computer and my little sister came in and said "hi!" I told her to hold on a sec, that I just had to finish with something I was working on. When I was done a couple minutes later (not very long at all) I came to find that she was gone. I went to the end of the house...completely opposite side where she was playing with my other sister...the both swear up and down they hadn't even left the room for the past half hour.

A few months back. Okay...more like five or six, I used to hear this odd sound that would travel from one end of the house to the other. I'd lie in bed at night and It sounded like someone running across the roof. There was never anyone. I've also awakened to what sounded like a knock on the window by my bed.

I should probably stop...this will go on for forever if I don't.

#63 Guest_Alaska Rose_*

Guest_Alaska Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

I'm also always trying to find an explanation for things that happen. If I can't explain it, then I know it's paranormal and not just me being paranoid.

#64 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Many years ago I lived in Long Beach, CA where the Queen Mary is permanantly moored. They hold all kinds of tours and parties and wonderful events and there are several resturants, etc.
One New Years Eve my friend and I went to a party. There were parties going on in three ballrooms at the same time. If you have never seen or been on the ship it is quite exquisite with artwork everywhere. It is also a frequent site for ghost hunters, both private and as part of several t.v. shows.
I was standing by the railing with my friend and when we turned around there were two men dressed in full WWII uniforms. One of the men approached me and took my hand and kissed it and then asked me to dance. I smiled (he was very nice looking!) and looked at my friend to let her know I was going to accept his invitation. When I turned back to the soldier's, they were both gone. We were on the deck and there was no where they could have gone without being seen. When I asked my friend where they could have gone, she gave me the oddest look and asked me what I was talking about.
There has never been any doubt in my mind that I had been talking to a ghost. My only regret is that I never got to dance with him.

#65 Countrymouse

Countrymouse

Literary mouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None––as of yet. Fingers crossed that that will change.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

Many years ago I lived in Long Beach, CA where the Queen Mary is permanantly moored. They hold all kinds of tours and parties and wonderful events and there are several resturants, etc.
One New Years Eve my friend and I went to a party. There were parties going on in three ballrooms at the same time. If you have never seen or been on the ship it is quite exquisite with artwork everywhere. It is also a frequent site for ghost hunters, both private and as part of several t.v. shows.
I was standing by the railing with my friend and when we turned around there were two men dressed in full WWII uniforms. One of the men approached me and took my hand and kissed it and then asked me to dance. I smiled (he was very nice looking!) and looked at my friend to let her know I was going to accept his invitation. When I turned back to the soldier's, they were both gone. We were on the deck and there was no where they could have gone without being seen. When I asked my friend where they could have gone, she gave me the oddest look and asked me what I was talking about.
There has never been any doubt in my mind that I had been talking to a ghost. My only regret is that I never got to dance with him.

Ohhh, I LOVE the Queen Mary. Unfortunately, on my visits, I didn't encounter any handsome ghosts (so, I'm jealous). :)
Conventional opinion is the ruin of our Souls. ~Rumi~

#66 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

I've had dreams that have later proven to be connected to real events (I think). Oddest one:

I dreamed I was at the coast, along what looked like the Gulf Coast or somewhere similar – there was a sea view, but the waves were much calmer than the Atlantic or Pacific and many of the houses were rather ramshackle and run down, like fishing cabins or older homes in some poorer neighborhoods in Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. The houses had wooden siding and were built up on stilts as well, like older Gulf Coast houses.
I was visiting a family that I knew in the dream but that I cannot connect to anyone I know in real life. We were all outside – several adults with some children playing in the sand and running around on the beach. I noticed that there were storm clouds gathering and one of the other adults said that a big storm was coming and we had better get in the house. We called for the children and I then noticed that the children had been gathering up flat, polished smooth, white stones off of the beach – the stones were of various sizes from very small to about palm-of-hand size. I asked the children what they were doing – what were the stones for? The children said – “For the graves”.
At this point the storm broke and the water began rising very quickly. We all ran up the steps into the closest house. I was standing on the steps waiting to enter the house and saw the water flood in, already up to my feet on the stairs. I then quickly entered the house.
That was the end of the dream.

I dreamed this about 3 weeks before Hurricane Katrina. I keep a dream diary and so I know this was recorded before the event.

#67 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

How many of you find that in such dreams that all five senses are at work? I do find that in dreams that later come true or have some significant meaning for me they are not only in colour but all my senses are definitely working.

#68 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hate to break the chain, and I will answer, but first:

Brenda! Where you been, girl? I misses ya in the Spec Fic Group! :wub:

Now to answer the question: In dreams of this type I have otfen found that all my senses work to the point where I have a hard time distguishing between dream state and awake for several minutes. Yep, they actually are that real. Especially the prophetic dreams.

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#69 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

How many of you find that in such dreams that all five senses are at work? I do find that in dreams that later come true or have some significant meaning for me they are not only in colour but all my senses are definitely working.

Even in my most vivid dreams, I always seem to be missing one sense out of the eight (I count them as sight, smell, taste, touch, hearing, direction/magnetism, time, self). Usually, it's the sense of smell I'm missing. In the one instance I remember having smell, I momentarily lost my sense of touch.... which was really, really weird.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#70 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hate to break the chain, and I will answer, but first:

Brenda! Where you been, girl? I misses ya in the Spec Fic Group! :wub:

I been THERE and back, Pete. Some really nasty life rolls got in my way. Missed you guys too and looking forward to some great AQC time. :-))

#71 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Next time... load the dice, Hun. :wink:

But i do know what you mean. Welcome back. :biggrin:

~Elton John

#72 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Next time... load the dice, Hun. :wink:

But i do know what you mean. Welcome back. :biggrin:

Ya know, sometimes when you try to load those dice they explode in your face. ;-)

#73 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Ya know, sometimes when you try to load those dice they explode in your face. ;-)

True enough... and I got the powder burns to prove it. :wink:

Still, just like the good times, the bad ones can't last forever. (It just seems that way sometimes.)

~Elton John

#74 Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:"Penumbra", an online magazine will publish one of my short stories in their Hithcock themed October issue, called "The Little Man Who Wasn't There."

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi Brenda,
I read the entire forum. You started a very interesting topic. It's good that you've come back to keep it going. I hope your life settles down and things start going your way. Here is my addition to your topic. Except for these three eposides, I am about as paranormal as a rock.

My father died from cancer at a VA Hospital in Iowa City. He passed away the day before Christmas Eve and my brother lost it. A close friend took me out to dinner after he died. On the way back to the hotel, we felt a presence in the backseat of the car. Right in the middle, there was this surge of love and happiness that radiated from behind us. Even though I couldn't see it, I felt that he was sitting in the back set, smiling, as a glowing shape. We stopped talking and the feeling faded away. Kathy and I both felt it and believed it was my father.

The next time I felt my father's presence was at home at a small town in downstate Illinois. My brother continued to be out of control. He pushed me across the room for suggesting that Dad the suit my husband I purchased for him to wear at my wedding. No need to go into everything that happened that Christmas Eve. That night, I wrote an angry letter to my brother about all the horrible behavior, a very long list. Almost done with the letter, I felt a presense. This time, the feelings came from above me, floating in the corner of the room. Such saddness and grief overwhelmed me that I put it away. No one ever saw the letter. The intense feelings faded away and I never felt my father's presence again.

The next time I spoke to my brother was at my mother's funeral, 18 years later. I felt nothing supernatural when my Mom died on Christmas Day. But, I called the hospital moments after she passed away suddenly. Mom was there for dehydration, slight fever, etc. I got a hold of the nurse in her room, asking how Mom was doing, getting settled and everything. The nurse blurted out, "She died." I argued with it, told her in no uncertain terms that it was impossible. The nurse couldn't believe her patient died even though mom told everyone at the ER she was dying. No one mentioned to me that she believed she was dying. They ignored a poor old woman with dementia from a nursing home. My mom displayed certain gifts, some would call them supernatural. They should have believed, I would have.

#75 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

I've lived in an honest-to-the-gods haunted house. The memories of that place make my heart race. It was known around town as haunted, and we didn't know before we moved there. After we left, the house was torn down and the lot is still vacant. When I want to dredge up memories of being possessed by a freaking house, and of my dead dog walking around, I'll write more. It's hard stuff.

However on a happier note, I guess you could say, my dead dad still hangs around. More than once I've had people who didn't know about my dad and who have never seen him describe a man about 6' tall with long blonde hair and a beard and eyes just like mine standing by me. That's my dad. These unconnected people have seen the same person without knowing a single thing about my dad.

#76 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

The next time I spoke to my brother was at my mother's funeral, 18 years later. I felt nothing supernatural when my Mom died on Christmas Day. But, I called the hospital moments after she passed away suddenly. Mom was there for dehydration, slight fever, etc. I got a hold of the nurse in her room, asking how Mom was doing, getting settled and everything. The nurse blurted out, "She died." I argued with it, told her in no uncertain terms that it was impossible. The nurse couldn't believe her patient died even though mom told everyone at the ER she was dying. No one mentioned to me that she believed she was dying. They ignored a poor old woman with dementia from a nursing home. My mom displayed certain gifts, some would call them supernatural. They should have believed, I would have.

There's no excuse for medical personnel to brush off an elderly person saying they're dying. If cats and dogs know they're about to die, and go off to find a place to do it in peace, then why is it so difficult to realize people often know this too? I have a few friends who've lost children this year to the same disease (support tends to pop up around mito disease), and a couple have even said that their children told them very shortly before that it was time, and it was. It's appalling that your mother was ignored!

#77 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

If I can't explain it, then I know it's paranormal and not just me being paranoid.

How's this for an explanation of most "paranormal activity":  Apophenia.

The seeing of structure in randomness.  Jesus in your toast.  Clouds that look like dragons.  Voices in static.  the brain plays these tricks because it's cheaper to have a Type I logical error (false positive) than a Type II (false negative).  So you might get a fright from seeing a tiger in the long grass that isn't there, but that's better than not seeing the tiger that's really in the long grass.

This explains why such phenomenon are so fleeting, and often peripheral.

Prolonged or shared experiences, such as those that were seemingly so common in the 18th century, often have a physical cause for neurological misfunction.  In the late 1800's, the cause of these were often carbon monoxide from faulty gas lines.  Symptoms of long-term, low level carbon monoxide poisoning include audible hallucinations such as loud noises, voices, footsteps.  The sense that someone is just behind you is also often triggered (this sense, though known and reproducible, has no commonly accepted name).  Waking paralysis has been reported (where the muscle paralysis that te brain imposes during sleep continues upon waking), as well as visual distortions and increased susceptibility to apophenia.

The brain is a wonderful thing, but even though we deal in tales of the supernatural, there's no need to succumb to beliefs that they are real phenomena.  Unless you want to believe, in which case you're more than welcome.  But why would people want to believe such things, especially in the face of evidence to the direct contrary, and no credible evidence in support?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users