134 replies to this topic

#1 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hello everyone:

My name is William K. Ball, I am an emerging writer, unagented and unpublished. I like writing mostly in the paranormal genre and have a passion for using this element in stories in unique and interesting ways and learning how others do the same. My fist novel length MS 'Everyday Angels' is currently in re-write stage and much of the reason for this is because of everything I have learned from this site and its' members. I enjoy editing others' writing when the chance arises and being of any assistance I can when asked.

Happy writing all!

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

Names... hmmm... which one to pick? lol. I primarily go by my pen name Calista Taylor, or Cali, C, though there are a few AQ old timers that'll remember my real name. :wink:

I primarily write romance, though I've always combined it with other genres, such as paranormal, mystery, and steampunk. I've got 2 completed steampunk romances, a completed paranormal romance/urban fantasy, and I'm working on completing a paranormal romance/alternate history ms. Once that's completed I'll tackle my other 2 wips which got pushed to the side-- a paranormal romance, and a steampunk/pirate erotica.

Thanks for starting the group, William. :smile:

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'm Lanette, and I have yet to settle on a genre. My only completed work is a YA fantasy, but I have two WIPs. One is dark literary and the other is a paranormal/dark comedy.

#4 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Names... hmmm... which one to pick? lol. I primarily go by my pen name Calista Taylor, or Cali, C, though there are a few AQ old timers that'll remember my real name. :wink:

I primarily write romance, though I've always combined it with other genres, such as paranormal, mystery, and steampunk. I've got 2 completed steampunk romances, a completed paranormal romance/urban fantasy, and I'm working on completing a paranormal romance/alternate history ms. Once that's completed I'll tackle my other 2 wips which got pushed to the side-- a paranormal romance, and a steampunk/pirate erotica.

Thanks for starting the group, William. :smile:

You're welcome. Thanks for hangin' out.

#5 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm Lanette, and I have yet to settle on a genre. My only completed work is a YA fantasy, but I have two WIPs. One is dark literary and the other is a paranormal/dark comedy.

Hey Lanette
Welcome to the group. You'll find your genre. That paranormal/dark comedy is a great mash-up. There needs to be more of that, I think.:wink:

#6 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi, all. I'm Cat Woods, a writer of all things juvenile. I've got picture books, chapter books and middle grade and YA novels written. Two are ghost stories and one is a psychological thriller. Some are more polished than others.

I do have two half-finished YA's with paranormal aspects and two more in the research stage. Hopefully I can whip them all into shape sooner rather than later.

Thanks for volunteering to moderate this group, William. Obviously it was a missing niche!

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#7 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

I'm Eli, writer of all sorts of adult things. I like things complicated, so my novels are usually mashups of mashups. I *think* my current WIP is paranormal/crime. Even if it's really an urban fantasy in disguise, I still think hanging around here will be fun. I hope that's okay. :)

Currently querying a post-apocalyptic, urban fantasy/medieval fantasy called Genocide to Genesis. Got one full request and four rejects so far, which isn't bad since I've only sent out sixteen queries so far. (Yeah... I'm slow.) Still waiting on the rest of the replies before I send another round.

Key points I like in my novels: fantastical elements, gay romance, and eye-opening social perspectives.
G2G had elemental Demi-gods, a gay romance, a commentary about the ease that world can change and a satire about Fate.
Current WIP has ESP abilities, interplanar travelers, gay romance, a realistic perspective of a homeless person, and a bit on criminal self-justification.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#8 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:20 AM

Adding my thanks to William for bringing this group back to life. Lol. It's going to be a lot of fun I can see already. I'm CC or 'Sarge' as Clippership sometimes calls me over on the F&SF forum. Most of my writing has fantastical elements or some kind of paranormal activity. I write short fiction and long. The story I finished this week was a post apocalyptic one I submitted to an anthology entitled 'Out of The Ashes'
My WIP is a redraft of an earlier work. It has a several scenes that involve specters and the goddess of Death the denizens of the Spirit Realms call Dark Face. my previous one was an urban YA fantasy about a young man with a ghost dog.
I have had the pleasure of earning money for my short fiction. Hopefully some day that will be true of the long as well.

#9 Linda B

Linda B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:only my HS newspaper

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

I actually am using the name L.A. Sommer to write, am not published, and have interests in several genres, BTW is that a no no? My biggest interest is in character studies, and psychological plots
in general because I have worked in the field so many years. As you know, and so may others from my posts, I have a passion for muxic

#10 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

*waves*

Hi, I'm Darke, but I think some of you already know that. :cool: I write scfi/paranormal stories that tend to be lean more toward the dark side. Pun intended. :tongue:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#11 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

I just realized I have jumped into the discussions wiothout introducing myself HERE! I am Amy and I just finished my first full length novel, Paranormal/Fantasy with a twist of romance...still trying to pin down the actual genre. I find the paranormal very intriguing and I love to write my stories around it. It is so much fun to let your creativity take over and see what happens in a genre like this. :smile:

#12 Godsmotive

Godsmotive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Writewinger: Solutions for the Politically Oblique - Booklocker.com
    God's Motive - Booklocker.com

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

My name is Phillip J Hubbell, I am in the process of writing book three in a series of sorts and editing book two...Book one is called God's Motive. It is about a fellow who is randomly chosen to be enlightened about the nature of the uniiverse and is taken into space and talked to by an entity he thinks is God. The first book talks about the event and subsequent downloads of data, knowledge and information he receives every 300 days after the event. Book two is called Infinity Squared. It continues with the downloads until his death and then continues beyond into the afterlife...it tells of what actually happens when we die and we don't see grandma waving from the end of any tunnels. We stand still in space where we died, and get the ultimate download of all thoughts and memories of everyone who lived before us. We use that information to build any world we choose as we are omnipotent within the confines of a universe of our own making. Book three is a haunting of sorts, as millions of years into the future after his death and after living countless enhanced lifetimes of his own design, he recreates his original biological life as it actually occurred and critiques it from the point of view of an objective observer and from within it. Omnipotence allows for a lot of freedoms around points of view. Genre is something of an issue because it is written as non-fiction 1st person memoir. But it has to be fiction...right?

Anyway, this group seemed like the place for me.

#13 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Thank you for joining God'smotive. Sounds like you'll have quite a bit to add here.:biggrin:

#14 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

Wow, Phillip. Your series sounds fascinating! Right up my alley. I find the whole God and afterlife topic so compelling. best of luck with it and welcome to the group!

#15 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some short stories, articles, poems, and book reviews published. No novels yet. I've over 20 years as a technical writer and editor, though.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

My current work is an urban fantasy and not a paranormal novel per se, but it has a lot of paranormal elements. I read and watch a lot of paranormal stuff, and a couple of future WIPs may be paranormal.

#16 PLGreen

PLGreen

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published once before in the Quiet Time Report.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Sorry, still getting the hang of posting.
P. L. Green

#17 PLGreen

PLGreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published once before in the Quiet Time Report.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

My name is Penny but I use the pen name P L Green, Hi everyone and thanks for starting this forum. I have been looking for some like minded people to bounce ideas off of. My first book is a paranormal romance/thriller that involves witches, ghosts and gypsies. It is an interesting twist, I think. My WIP is about people who can hop between dimensions and the love affairs that ensue. I guess it falls in the paranormal romance area as well, there is a thriller aspect. I have had a hard time quantifying my genre and was really happy to see that I am not the only one. The hardest part I have found is figuring out what agents/publishers might be interested in my type of fictional novels. Thank you again for giving me a place to feel at home.

P. L. Green

#18 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

I'm Eli, writer of all sorts of adult things. I like things complicated, so my novels are usually mashups of mashups. I *think* my current WIP is paranormal/crime. Even if it's really an urban fantasy in disguise, I still think hanging around here will be fun. I hope that's okay. :)

Currently querying a post-apocalyptic, urban fantasy/medieval fantasy called Genocide to Genesis. Got one full request and four rejects so far, which isn't bad since I've only sent out sixteen queries so far. (Yeah... I'm slow.) Still waiting on the rest of the replies before I send another round.

Key points I like in my novels: fantastical elements, gay romance, and eye-opening social perspectives.
G2G had elemental Demi-gods, a gay romance, a commentary about the ease that world can change and a satire about Fate.
Current WIP has ESP abilities, interplanar travelers, gay romance, a realistic perspective of a homeless person, and a bit on criminal self-justification.

OMG Eli! I can hardly wait to read it!

#19 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

The project I'm shopping right now is an urban fantasy/paranormal with elements of romance. I have a sequel and another paranormal one in progress that is taking on many UF elements. I have a long history in paranormal and metaphysical activities, so I have an endless stream of inspiration. Plus, a more mundane job in healthcxare that gives its own type of inspiration!

I am also working on learning how to write short stories and good endings--both are challenges for me.

#20 PLGreen

PLGreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

The project I'm shopping right now is an urban fantasy/paranormal with elements of romance. I have a sequel and another paranormal one in progress that is taking on many UF elements. I have a long history in paranormal and metaphysical activities, so I have an endless stream of inspiration. Plus, a more mundane job in healthcxare that gives its own type of inspiration!

I am also working on learning how to write short stories and good endings--both are challenges for me.

I wish you the best of luck as I am in the same boat. I have a healthcare background with a strong interest in the paranormal areas. I have done a lot of research into the occult/paranormal/metaphysical areas and find it to be a fascinating spiritual path. I have also done some research on world religions that I also have found quite interesting.

I have found in my attempts at writing that the endings just happen. Not sure what that means but it does make life interesting. :biggrin:
P. L. Green

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users