#41 E.F. Jace

E.F. Jace

Official Writer of Sick Puppy Literature

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Does that article I wrote for my elementary school newspaper count? No? I got a certificate. Still no? Well...shucks.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

haha yes. exactly. Which kind of makes it almost pointless for me to start with an outline before I begin writing. It's sort of this journey you get to take. I think the story feels more real that way, because you're experiencing it in the same light as the characters. Yes, listening is good, except as you lay in bed, trying to get an ounce of sleep, but your muse won't shut up. :humph:

Duuuude, I know exactly what you mean! :laugh: We're slaves to our creativity.

Seriously. Just "Jace", not "E.F.", that's weird.

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." -Edgar Allen Poe

.Twitter! .

#42 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

Stopped by this thread for the first time in a while. Jace, has that been your experience with a lot of people (i.e., they don't want to read horror), or just a few friends?

#43 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

Horror-quitting smoking...

Fantasy-losing weight...

Sci-fi-walking away from chocolate...

Paranormal-what my cat does with plastic bags...

Mystery-getting an agent...

Thriller-finding AQ and all of you! :wub:

#44 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

I recently discovered this forum and had to stop by. I haven't written anything along the lines of horror or paranormal, but I'm an avid scary movie fan and do appreciate a good suspense book. I guess that means that I shouldn't completely disregard the idea of writing something scary/paranormal in the future. There's a lot of great advice here and some really good threads. I'll be browsing through for a while, I'm sure.

#45 Artamiss Caine

Artamiss Caine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published one short story as an e-book on Barnes and Noble.com and for Amazon Kindle: Reflections in a Glass of Pinot

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

:biggrin: Hello,
I have written romance stories before and currently am working on one alongside of my new book Cry Wolf. I am totally excited by the ideas roaming around in my head but sometimes have trouble getting the all down. I wish they would go ahead and create a program for writers that would get all of our ideas perfectly on the computer through osmosis.....until that day, I'll have to keep trucking on...

Cry Wolf is my paranormal baby. Its my first foray into the paranormal world despite being raised around many theories and superstitions in a Haitian household. My husband still laughs at me because I refuse to watch the Skeleton Key again....but oh well.. Hope to share my ideas with you all soon. :blush:
I have a need to be quirky and witty...being reasonable is a side effect.

#46 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

:biggrin: Hello,
I have written romance stories before and currently am working on one alongside of my new book Cry Wolf. I am totally excited by the ideas roaming around in my head but sometimes have trouble getting the all down. I wish they would go ahead and create a program for writers that would get all of our ideas perfectly on the computer through osmosis.....until that day, I'll have to keep trucking on...

Just wanted to add a welcome to another romance writer. It is always good to get input from someone writing the same genre.

I just finished a paranormal romance which was written on the lighter side; meaning it was mostly humorous, nothing scary about it. My current WIP in very different. At least I intend it to be. Lots more murder and meyhem, more paranormal activity, and not so much humor. I think you will find lots of help on this site, in a variety of forms.

Best of luck with your project. (Cry Wolf sounds like a good title by the way).

#47 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

InTown Books

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am the founder of InTown Books, a boutique of fantasy, paranormal, mystery, and historical romance that is dedicated to publishing and promoting authors.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

I love paranomal; my first novel was one until I changed it. But I am ploting at a major re-write.

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

http://www.intownbooks.net

www.the-transylvanians.com

#48 Artamiss Caine

Artamiss Caine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published one short story as an e-book on Barnes and Noble.com and for Amazon Kindle: Reflections in a Glass of Pinot

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

Just wanted to add a welcome to another romance writer. It is always good to get input from someone writing the same genre.

I just finished a paranormal romance which was written on the lighter side; meaning it was mostly humorous, nothing scary about it. My current WIP in very different. At least I intend it to be. Lots more murder and meyhem, more paranormal activity, and not so much humor. I think you will find lots of help on this site, in a variety of forms.

Best of luck with your project. (Cry Wolf sounds like a good title by the way).

Thanks so much for the welcome. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I like the idea of a humorous paranormal romance. To tell you the truth, being Haitian and growing up in my household, so many stories and lullabies were sung to scare us to sleep that I don't even like horrors. Its why I shied away from paranormal romance for the longest time but then I stumbled across Sherrilyn Kenyon and fell in love. Cry Wolf gets pretty dark but not enough to spook me out of writing it. :tongue: Good luck on your WIP and Happy Writing!
I have a need to be quirky and witty...being reasonable is a side effect.

#49 Shifi127

Shifi127

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hey, Hey Hey. My name's Shae Bingham. I'm an emerging author that can't seem to stay away from fiction. Whether I'm reading it or writing it, I love being able to create my own Narnia (Who doesn't love those). I have 1 book that is in its first edit stage but all the others are not finished yet. This book is kinda like Narnia but I had only seen the movie of the first at the time. Its called "The Griffin's Lair" My teacher is telling me to get off so bye!

#50 Adaline

Adaline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journals. Contests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone. This was the group I was looking for ^_^. My name is Ilia Mart and I write Paranormal Urban Fantasy with Romance elements. I would like to meet other writers who also enjoy this genre and to meet new people to share my work with. Hope to see you all around ^_^.

#51 Violet

Violet

Help. I suck.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hey I'm Ivelisse :D But I go by my pen name Evie Knight. I love writing the paranormal genre; it's just the most exciting one for me. Right now I have a WIP called 'Kiss Me, Kill Me' with angels and demons and all that good stuff. Oh, and enchanted violins. Yeah, i have fun :D

Life sucks, and then you fall in love.

And then it sucks more.

#52 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

I recently branched out and began exploring more of the AQC community. This is my first time browsing in this forum and I thought I may stick around a bit :happy:
So, Hello all. I am Kerri and I write Paranormal Romance. I have one completed MS that is currently under construction thanks to a lovely group of ladies I met on AQC. I also have 2 wips that I started, but they are in the backseat right now so that I can get my first MS polished and ready to go.
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#53 LH Thomson

LH Thomson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented, media
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Thousands of stories for seven different papers, one non-fiction sports book, but no fiction to date.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

Hello everyone, my name is L.H. Thomson and I write multiple genres, including YA modern fantasy. I have two finished novels, Abigail Deane and The Demon's Gate; and Abigail Deane and the Sapphire's Curse. Planning to ePublish them along with three other novels in March. It's all part of my mind-numbing experiment in working myself to death by 45, according to my wife.
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
Mark Twain

Check out my blog at http://lhthomson.blogspot.com/ !

#54 KimberlyFDR

KimberlyFDR

Published Author

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm published under a pseudonym in the LGBT genre, with a number of anthologies to my credit, as well as an upcoming novel, three novellas, and more anthology contributions. I'm working on getting agent representation / publisher acceptance in the paranormal fantasy genre as I write novels under my main name for that genre. Additionally, I'm a media reviewer for three blogs and have published reviews/articles/meta for those.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hi all! I'm an emerging paranormal fantasy novelist who is currently querying a paranormal novel that's not getting good results and editing a second novel that's more in the paranormal erotic genre (I think).

Novel One: This one's the paranormal fantasy that has been polished and through multiple revisions with agent feedback, editor feedback, critique groups, and online feedback sessions. However, either my query's not working or my subject matter is one that's flooded the market.

Heaven and Hell Alike: When God goes AWOL, righteous demon Liam and angelic lover Mikael become pawns in the battle for Heaven. Victory means losing everything they've built together. (currently querying)

Novel Two: This one is an erotic novel that I don't know how to categorize. Would it be paranormal fantasy considering the subject matter or some other subgenre of erotica? It's also weird subject matter, so that'll likely lessen my query list. I'm almost ready for first level critique on this manuscript.

His Womanly Ways: When Alex gets cursed by a spurned lover to “know what it's like for a woman” he never expected to literally become one. As his body changes into something his mind no longer recognizes, he must depend on his female best friend to help him cope. When friendship morphs into something more, Alex wonders if this curse was actually a blessing in disguise. (currently editing)

Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

I'm currently a staff writer for the Fandomania, Nerds in Babeland, SpoilerTV blogs, and formerly the ScienceFantasyUniverse blog. Check out all my articles on my site! You can also see me on Livejournal or Twitter!

#55 eddieb

eddieb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

hello i am james boggs--i am unpublished--i am not used to this--i guess you could say my first book is a 30,000 word novella--it's a blood and gut's, gothic western/supernatural western--it is done being edited--i am looking for an agent--but i will proabaly self publish the first--because of it's size.

my second book is a pysco killer type book--it is being edited and again its small--45,ooo words but my third book that i am working on--is a sci-fi fantasy action book but it should be 80.000 plus so i hope that makes--people happy and i already
have plans for books 4-6

i was told to write 2 or 3 before i publish with plans for 3 more--so i hope it works

i also am a known outsider artist, painter--i have sold a bunch in the U. S. and abroad in the art world i go by Eddie B.

I also write poetry and music---under the name Grand poplock

you can see my art at badasiwanttobe.com thanks for reading my rambleing

#56 Jaé D

Jaé D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:unpublished

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hi,

I'm Jaé D and I am in the process of writing a paranormal fiction tale that involves the dead and demons and a young woman at a boarding school. It is not a romance novel, but it does have some romantic elements. My intended audience is for young adults, preferably 14 and older. I am hoping to stretch interest into the adult audience (sort of like Twilight did). I am also hoping that the 'thriller' aspect of the story attracts a decent size of male audience members, although I have a feeling it'll interest predominantly females. My story has two protagonists, which is a challenge and is written in close personal 3rd person.

There are soooooo many challenges in writing this story that I would definitely benefit from input to see if it makes sense to others. It is a WIP though. Unlike many others I've read about on this site, I don't have anything completed yet. I did get through about 20 chapters and had it professionally critiqued, and read by an agent. I'll tell you, after the responses I got -- I'm starting over. Back to the drawing board.

It's not like I'm starting completely over. The story is complete as an idea in the creative part of my brain. I have even formed the ending. But putting it in readable format that paces well and keeps the reader hooked and not confused, is the challenge.

I'm excited about it. It will be a journey that I hope will end with good reception.

I really would like to just form a supportive critique partner relationship as I continue on the journey to complete the book.

I'd also be happy to return the favor to someone who is in the same phase, and shares the same need. I am a beginner, though, but I've had professional critiques done, so I have a bit of exposure. In my mind, any reader would suffice for me/

#57 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi, LucidDreamer here. I have written a scifi/romance novel that I am trying to get repped (or published in some fashion -- investigating all options right now). But I also am planning a ghost story. I thought I needed a change of pace and wanted to be working on something as I try to get the first novel published. I explained my basic premise in another thread -- the Works in Progress thread.

#58 khaulamazhar

khaulamazhar

I need chocolate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write articles for Dawn(Pakistan) magazine,Ferozsons (Pakistan)has published a short children's story I wrote,I have written one YA novel that is being published and one that I am still editing.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

This is a good idea, having a place to get started. My name is Khaula and I love reading urban fantasy/ dystopian /science fiction kinda stuff. But I didn't think I would try to write it until now. The novel I have finished is just plain YA. The book I have published is a children's story and I write humorous articles for Dawn and Pak Tea House. But as a kid my creative writing stuff was all about the weird kind of things that happen. So I have just started one. By the time I have finished it I will have consumed tons of chocolate. :biggrin:

#59 Froboy69

Froboy69

Fro~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am new to publishing as I just finished my first ever novel project in 2012.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Sean Torres is my name, and open mindedness is my game!

I am quite a sucker for fantasy and anything else that is good but what I really enjoy is honest opinions. My first work as a novelist is called Rey de Noches (King of Nights), a high epic fantasy novel for in-between adults and young adults. I've approached many agents and they praised me with my ideas but sadly state that it's not 'fitting' for them. :blush:

Anyways, I really want to get along with everyone here and never let your imagination become limited! Hopefully you will all enjoy my story if you ever get the chance to read it!

#60 wrparrish

wrparrish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hey all,

My name is Ryan and I'm unpublished and unagented. Just finished my first novel and beginning the process of looking in earnest. My interests branch out well beyond horror (just started on my second book in-between edits as a distraction and it's not horror in the slightest), but I figured I should begin here as it's where my first book would be best at home.

Really just looking forward to helping others strengthen their work (as well as my own) and getting to know some like-minded folks. Said hello in the "say hi" forum so I don't want to be long here, but figured I should say hello here as well.

I'm really interested in the roots of Horror more than a lot of the current trends I'm seeing with the genre which I think is reflected in my writing and what I read. Don't want to go on a tear, just giving a little bit of a background. Character building, I guess :smile:.

If anyone is looking for readers or a crit-partner, etc., I'd be more than happy to help.

-Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users