4 replies to this topic

#1 Yithril

Yithril

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have self published five books on Amazon, including my series on the game of Go, entitled "So You Want to Play Go?"

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

So I've done a bit of research on the internet and tried to figure out which agents accept unsolicited query letters for YA graphic novels and well...I'm a bit confused :)  Many of the agents listed on random sites on the internet no longer accept unsolicited manuscripts, so I've been trying to regroup and see if I can find those agents that do.  Also...

For my graphic novel, I'm the writer.  I have a script (fully done) and a query letter, and I have my associate who is the artist.  Originally, I was going to commission him to do it, but it's way too expensive.  If an agent gets you signed on with a publisher, does the publisher handle the costs of getting the novel drawn?  Can I as the writer say "Hey, I've got this awesome artwork and I want this guy to continue doing it?"

Just wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the way graphic novels go from query letter to on the shelf.

Thanks!

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

I know next to nothing about graphic novels, but have you seen this Ask The Agent post at LitReactor?

http://litreactor.co...vel-submissions

Some info there, at least.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 CheG

CheG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Forthcoming- Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight from Black Opal Books
    And lots of other stuff...

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

You need to have the book done, like you would a novel. OR you need to be author/illustrator, as in drawing it yourself. OR you need sample chapters/pages.

Most comic book companies want 5-10 pages of inked/colored/lettered work and a synopsis of the book. 

For a graphic novel, I'm assuming (and this is only how it worked at TOKYOPOP) you will be given an advance which is divided into milestones. So when you turn in XX number of pages you receive a paycheck.

Not many major publishing companies handle graphic novels, and those that do a larger percentage are author/illustrator or author illustrator teams writing for children, like The Baby Mouse series. 

For graphic novels though, what you need is a finished book NOT an agent. 

DogFightcoversigsize_zpsfe772a9d.jpg

Please check out my MG query here 

#4 Yithril

Yithril

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have self published five books on Amazon, including my series on the game of Go, entitled "So You Want to Play Go?"

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well I have the script finished (100 pages) and I have sample pages of the actual graphic novel, and artwork.  I myself cannot draw, so I have an artist who I work with that does all of the artwork and I would want him to draw the book if it is published.  

#5 CheG

CheG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Forthcoming- Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight from Black Opal Books
    And lots of other stuff...

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Well I have the script finished (100 pages) and I have sample pages of the actual graphic novel, and artwork.  I myself cannot draw, so I have an artist who I work with that does all of the artwork and I would want him to draw the book if it is published.  

Most presses that accept graphic novels- unless you are trying to go through something Yen Press, and even then, they should have submission guidelines listed on the website, if they are open to submission. Read them. Follow them. You won't need an agent. 

DogFightcoversigsize_zpsfe772a9d.jpg

Please check out my MG query here 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users