29 replies to this topic

#1 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hey Everyone!

Post in this thread anything that is just for fun to either distract us with a foray into a rdiculously haunted house or places to go and things to check out that may actually inspire a spooky idea or two. (Here's one... http://www.hauntedhousestories.net/) As a kid, I was always fascinated with the proverbial neighborhood 'haunted house' brooding above the outskirts of town on an overgrown hill (and yes, there really was one). Just have fun here!

#2 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

GAMES! FREE games! FREE PARANORMAL games! This is definitely for pure distraction. :tongue: http://www.anybodyth...ormal-games.php

#3 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:00 AM

Think you're psychic? Find out! http://www.gotpsi.org This one is fun.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#4 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have a spine tingling real life experience I would love to share. I've actually tried to post it and the comment never shows up in the thread. I am dead serious about this and truly think I am not allowed to tell this story.

So I'll share this quick little story that is occurring right now in my life.

I bought a 112 year old house for my preschool. One month into opening, my car keys disappeared. I searched the place over, dumping every tub, cleaning out every cupboard, etc. Even though my keys are always placed in my basket by the front door each morning and are out of reach of kids.

One month to the day, they turned up in a plastic bag in the laundry room closet. Did I mention that the entire house is only 700 square feet? Or that I searched it in its entirety no less than three times?

Then, three weeks ago, my deadbolt was unlocked every morning when I came to work, yet the handle was still locked. After the first two days, I made sure it was locked as I left. Still unlocked.

That Friday I told one of my preschool parents about it while in the house. On Monday, the house was fully locked but ALL my posters were down. The entire alphabet plus about ten more for a total of 36. All down and on the floor.

The next day started with my heat being turned way up when I got to work. I always turn it down to 64 when I leave. When I get here, it's been set at 70. I only ever turn it up to 68 during the day, so it's not like I'm forgetting for the past week and a half.

Fun stuff. Yet, the house has the warmest, most comforting atmosphere ever. The first time I stepped in it, I knew I had to have it. And every preschooler who comes here is completely at ease. Even the ones who typically cry in new settings practically push their parents out the door. Two sets of parents have commented on how unusual that is for their kids.

Food for thought...

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Be careful if you make renovations. One theory is that making changes to a haunted building angers the ghosts.

#6 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

We already did that. Took out one of the bedrooms a stuffy tiny closet and opened this space up to the rest of the house.

Maybe my playful spirit thanks me for releasing it from its cramped quarters? This house seriously has the most welcoming feel to it ever. And it's obviously conducive to having children here. Maybe a child ghost happy to have other kids around.

Interestingly, when they play make believe "Jack" is almost always the choice invisible friend for all the kids.

Cat Woods

#7 Linda B

Linda B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:only my HS newspaper

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

I think you need to talk with them, they have certainly got your attention!

#8 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

We already did that. Took out one of the bedrooms a stuffy tiny closet and opened this space up to the rest of the house.

Maybe my playful spirit thanks me for releasing it from its cramped quarters? This house seriously has the most welcoming feel to it ever. And it's obviously conducive to having children here. Maybe a child ghost happy to have other kids around.

Interestingly, when they play make believe "Jack" is almost always the choice invisible friend for all the kids.

That is completely cool Cat. When I lived in Savannah GA (supposedly the most haunted city in America), I renovated a lot of brownstones in the historic district. I have seen some things. But more importantly, I FELT things. Some good, some not. It sounds like you have poltergeist activity. A lot of times it is just an annoyance, but it sounds like you lucked out. I think you theory of a child may be right. Have you researched the history of the house? I say just enjoy the uniqueness of it. Children and animals are more perceptive to these things than most, so if they fell welcome and comfortable there, I think that's a really good sign. Thanks for posting that Cat.

I've GOT to try this! Thanks Cali.

#9 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

I have a spine tingling real life experience I would love to share. I've actually tried to post it and the comment never shows up in the thread. I am dead serious about this and truly think I am not allowed to tell this story.

Ok Cat. That's weird. I checked the thread out and there is no technical reason for this not showing up. As much as I am fascinated by these dealings, I hope we don't get a smart-alecky poltergeist fiddling with the forum! LOL!:unsure:

#10 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

I don't think we have to worry about it. It's more like divine intervention. Let's just say that as an unchurched youth with parents and siblings still unbaptized and definitely atheist, this spine tingler left me with no doubt that there is a higher power. None what so ever.

I don't care what you call it or how it works out in your mind, there exists powers greater than we in this universe.

Cat Woods

#11 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

That's really cool, Cat!! Love that it's made your school so inviting to all the children, though I must say, I cringed a little that his name is Jack (I'm sure you understand, lol).

That is really bizarre about the other topic though. I've had one major experience, but it's so long and drawn out over several years, that it'd be too much to post here. But like William, I've had a lot of stuff pop up-- more of just a feeling in certain places.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#12 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

I think you need to talk with them, they have certainly got your attention!

I agree on this.

#13 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

I too have had a variety of experiences with unexplained and definitely ghostly phenom. It is definitely a whole body experience and that 'tingle' of knowing whether it's good or bad is hard to explain. I get the feeling you have a caregiver spirit. One who will be happy if you keep letting it know how glad you are to be there, Cat.

#14 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Cali, I tried some of the tests. I might have just a touch of psi...but I already knew that:laugh:

#15 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

Cali, I tried some of the tests. I might have just a touch of psi...but I already knew that:laugh:

Cool! Did you fare better with some tests than with others? I've only score moderately better than the average and that's only on certain tests. The others-- pffft!! Forget it. I don't even come close. lol. Although I think in real life, certain things pan out a bit better.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#16 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Cool! Did you fare better with some tests than with others? I've only score moderately better than the average and that's only on certain tests. The others-- pffft!! Forget it. I don't even come close. lol. Although I think in real life, certain things pan out a bit better.

That was really just a joke. I did good with the cards. But get this- when I attempted remote viewing, I was picturing a close up of the corner of a brick building with a blue sky above, so when it asked what general shapes I pictured I chose angular, when it asked about water, trees or animals, I said none, when it asked artificial or natural, I said artificial, well guess what the picture was? A heard of elephants standing in a field drinking from a stream!:laugh::biggrin:Posted Image:laugh:

#17 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

That was really just a joke. I did good with the cards. But get this- when I attempted remote viewing, I was picturing a close up of the corner of a brick building with a blue sky above, so when it asked what general shapes I pictured I chose angular, when it asked about water, trees or animals, I said none, when it asked artificial or natural, I said artificial, well guess what the picture was? A heard of elephants standing in a field drinking from a stream!:laugh::biggrin:Posted Image:laugh:

I'm so dense. lol. Right over my head. lol.

That's funny. lol. I do horrible with the remote viewing and most of the cards. The only two I'm half decent with are the one where you project the image onto the card and the one where you pick the spot in the rectangle. The rest? Forget about it. :tongue:

Cali MacKay

FREE

#18 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

I'll have to try those. So I wonder if you are good at some and not others, does that mean you are 2 cans short of a six pack in the psi department? I tend to think if someone has psi abilities, maybe they are not always present. Maybe they sort of come and go. I don't know. But it's fun trying.:blush:

#19 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

I'm probably very different from most paranormal writers. I don't believe in ghosts or psychic phenomenon. I just got an idea in my head that I thought would be fun to write. I believe in a supernatural realm with demons, but not in the way I'm writing about. I feel like the odd one in this group. :laugh:

#20 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

William, too funny! I definitely think psi abilities could often be dormant and just not very developed.

Lanette, there's more than one way to approach things. That's the great thing about writing. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users