#1 kevinmont

kevinmont

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My historical novel, Six Winter Days, was published in April, 2014 by Blue Water Press

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

I paid an artist $200 for this.

Attached Files

#2 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace: 60,000+ downloads to date
    Won Reddit /r/Fantasy Best of 2014 Stabby Award
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

You got suckered.

#3 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

This cover is quite lovely! :smile:

From the perspective of a reader, it makes me think of a cover you would find on one of the historical classics, like an Austin book.

From a marketing perspective, it's clean, the title is clear and concise, and the artwork is very detailed whether you look at it in real-size, or enlarge it to look at smaller pieces of the whole image.

Beautifully done! :wub:

hcrp_175.jpg

"It was ancient, with the whispers of a thousand memories etched on its walls and forgotten with the slow sands of time."
~Excerpt from Bloodflower

Secrets of Sgådnor: First 250 | Query | Hook

Bloodflower: *coming soon*

#4 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

That cover is very nice.  The painting is exactly the sort to evoke the books of the time.

#5 CheG

CheG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Forthcoming- Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight from Black Opal Books
    And lots of other stuff...

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

I don't want to sound as harsh as S.A. Hunt- BUT they're kinda right. If I had $200 to spend on a cover I'd commission Hunt who has some mad design skillz.

One thing you can do to help the cover- if you have Photoshop and some basic skills, is change the fonts. The title font should be different from the font the author's name is in. Your name should be a little bigger too. You might add a texture on top of the art as well as an overlay layer or multiply layer.

And for $200 I would expect a bit more on the coloring side of things. They didn't do a great job. It's very flat. And again additional work in Photoshop COULD conceivably fix it up a bit.

Um, sorry....

DogFightcoversigsize_zpsfe772a9d.jpg

Please check out my MG query here 

#6 17218943

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

It's not worth the price. 

#7 kevinmont

kevinmont

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My historical novel, Six Winter Days, was published in April, 2014 by Blue Water Press

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

I got suckered? It's not worth the price? I don't think so. Do you know how many times the artist and I went back and forth, her sending me examples, my revising them? She originally had the American with a bayonet. I told her, the Americans didn't have bayonets. In one example, she reversed the image and gave it a west-to-east point of view. I told her, there were no Americans on the west side of the bridge. I had proposals from artists who wanted fifty and a hundred dollars an hour. I can't imagine drawing that image in less than 10 hours. I'm happy with it. It perfectly reflects the high point of my plot. My publisher said, "I like her work."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users