Disclaimer

Regarding OVERSEA REPRESENTATION

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CurrerBells_*

Guest_CurrerBells_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Is it possible to get represented by an agent from US even when I live in Sweden?
Would I be allowed to talk via email chatting rather than the call (given the insane time difference)?
If I get signed, would the agents contract arrive in email?
Would I need to travel to US for signing publishers contract and book promotions?

PS any ideas on this topic would be sincerely and thankfully received by me. But vivid responses are always a bonus ;)

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Is it possible to get represented by an agent from US even when I live in Sweden? Yes
Would I be allowed to talk via email chatting rather than the call (given the insane time difference)? There are times you'll need to talk on the phone and the time difference will be adjusted for. But most everything is done by email.
If I get signed, would the agents contract arrive in email? No, because you need to actually sign them. They'd come through the mail.
Would I need to travel to US for signing publishers contract and book promotions? No, you don't need to be in the US to sign a book deal. And it's unlikely a publisher would pay for you to come all the way from Sweden to promote in person, as that would cost a fortune. International Book Tours only happen when you're JK Rowling/of that caliber. There are many other ways to promote a book than in-person.

PS any ideas on this topic would be sincerely and thankfully received by me. But vivid responses are always a bonus ;)

#3 ebrown

ebrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have short fiction published or forthcoming in Bartleby Snopes, Sleet, Pithead Chapel, The Milo Review, Literary Orphans, Hello Horror and elsewhere in both digital and print. I am completing a paranormal series and a collection of short stories.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I was curious myself regarding topic. I'm in US, queried a couple UK agents, got one bite. My sister says she heard it's not a good idea. Not sure why if agency welcomes international.

#4 JackW

JackW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

I'm in the same boat. I want to get represented and published in the US, and I live in the Netherlands. 

#5 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

I live in New Zealand and queried agents in the US & UK. Your country of residence makes no difference with email, Skype etc. my publisher is in the US and I have never met any of the people I deal with.
It does create some issues of not being able to physically market/promote your book. It's not economic for me to travel to America for Cons, conferences etc You also need to comply with US tax legislation when you get to that stage.

#6 JackW

JackW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

I live in New Zealand and queried agents in the US & UK. Your country of residence makes no difference with email, Skype etc. my publisher is in the US and I have never met any of the people I deal with.
It does create some issues of not being able to physically market/promote your book. It's not economic for me to travel to America for Cons, conferences etc You also need to comply with US tax legislation when you get to that stage.

Does your agent help you with dealing with all the tax mumbo jumbo?

#7 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Your agent will give you the basics, like a cheat sheet that tells you what forms you need get and fill out, but hiring an accountant is usually a must when it comes to dealing with foreign money. 

#8 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Does your agent help you with dealing with all the tax mumbo jumbo?

I'm an accountant, so I probably have a natural advantage in dealing with the IRS  :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users