19 replies to this topic

#1 stephanieadele

stephanieadele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Well, I was published in the Toronto Star when I was 13 and then I decided to star in Hoarders: The Writer Edition. Hoping to change that soon!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hi all!

I have a fairly large chunk of my MS based in the Deep South. Though I have done extensive research to try and get everything right, I am from Canada and there are some things you just can't find out from research alone. I was wondering if there was anyone here who is from, or familiar with, the Deep South, and could provide me with some maybe common stereotypes and misconceptions that you hate? I would not want to fall into that category in my MS.

Thanks! :)

'The dead have never bothered me. It's the living that I fear.'

Patricia Cornwell

Follow me!

Visit my blog!

#2 albrock

albrock

Some Low-Class Kind of Royalty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A FINE IMITATION (Crown/May 2016)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Where exactly is your MS set?  Southerners can be very divisive about territory.  I grew up in rural South Carolina, currently live in Atlanta, GA (big urban area), and I'm familiar with rural Georgia.  But places like Mississippi and Alabama have their own feel to them.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

A FINE IMITATION

...on Goodreads

...on Amazon

amberbrock.net

#3 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

I grew up in Arkansas, spent a bit of time in Louisiana, and now live in Nashville, TN. There's a pretty big difference between all those places. People in Louisiana are super friendly, people in Arkansas all dip, have big trucks, and deer hunt, and Nashville is full of hipsers and country singer wanna-be transplants.

Find ARTIFICIAL on Goodreads and Amazon!

#4 LittleJoni

LittleJoni

Vertically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

I live in Texas...which isn't really the "deep south", but there are definitely some stereotypical things.  Mostly I dislike the misconception that we all speak with a drawl, wear cowboys boots, own horses, and listen to country music.  Oh, and that we're all Bible-beating, ultra-conservative, Tea Party-ers.  LOL!  Hope that helps a little. ;)

Newest Query:

TIME GUARDIAN

Older Queries:

THE BELIEVER

THE MYSTIC ROAD

#5 albrock

albrock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Oh, and that we're all Bible-beating, ultra-conservative, Tea Party-ers. 

This!  I hate that!  (I do speak with an accent though, and it gets heavy at times.   :smile:) I also hate the stereotype that we're all uneducated and/or racist.  As my grandfather was fond of saying, "There are rednecks in every corner of the world."  

It can be pretty funny to run into misconceptions about the South.  Once, when I was studying in Madrid, a man found out I lived in Atlanta.  He said, "Oh, Georgia!  Do you have cows?"  No, dude.  Pretty tough to keep them calm right next to the world's busiest airport.   :laugh:

A FINE IMITATION

...on Goodreads

...on Amazon

amberbrock.net

#6 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

This is sort of unrelated but...one time as a child I saw a drawing of a cow in a magazine done by a girl living in New York. She drew the udder up by its front legs. I LOL'd. It's weird to think that someone might not know what a cow looks like, seeing as I grew up next to a pasture. ANYWHO.

#7 Dallas

Dallas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

I have lived in Alabama all my life and from my experience all the stereo-types are mostly true.   Some exceptions of course, the majority do fit into the traditional stereo-types.   It is why Alabama is considered the 10th level of hell, Mississippi is the 11th ;-)

#8 stephanieadele

stephanieadele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Well, I was published in the Toronto Star when I was 13 and then I decided to star in Hoarders: The Writer Edition. Hoping to change that soon!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Thanks so much for all the info so far! And for those asking, though I do feature a few of the states from the Deep South, the one where most of the main events happen is Mississippi. 

'The dead have never bothered me. It's the living that I fear.'

Patricia Cornwell

Follow me!

Visit my blog!

#9 albrock

albrock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

I don't know Mississippi well, but I'd assume it's like the rest of the South--yes, there is a lot of poverty, and all the educational/standard-of-living problems that brings.  But there are a wide variety of people and perspectives--no part of the US has a "one size fits all" descriptor.  The major exception to that would be, in my experience, that people in the South do tend to be more outgoing and are often described as "friendlier".  People probably get this idea due to the fact that strangers in the southern states are more likely to meet strangers' eyes and smile at them, or even offer a quick greeting ("hey", "how are you", that sort of thing).  In parts of the US, people find that behavior odd.

A FINE IMITATION

...on Goodreads

...on Amazon

amberbrock.net

#10 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Where exactly is your MS set?  Southerners can be very divisive about territory.  I grew up in rural South Carolina, currently live in Atlanta, GA (big urban area), and I'm familiar with rural Georgia.  But places like Mississippi and Alabama have their own feel to them.

^This.  The exact question I was going to ask: south, deep south, or deep deep redneck south. :biggrin:

Once, when I was studying in Madrid, a man found out I lived in Atlanta.  He said, "Oh, Georgia!  Do you have cows?"  No, dude.  Pretty tough to keep them calm right next to the world's busiest airport.   :laugh:

I just died.

/endspam

Anyways, do you also have a time-frame or era for your MS?  While deep south usually means anywhere below the Mason-Dixon line as a generality (or anyone outside that area is a Yankee... but I digress), the south has certain behaviors, ideologies, and generalities about them based on the era in history you're targeting.

I've lived in Georgia and Texas... so I'll leave Mississippi to the experts. :wub:

K. J. Harrowick

Fantasy & Science Fiction Writer

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Instagram | Newsletter

#11 itsmary

itsmary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

I've lived in Mississippi all my life. The main stereotype I hate is that we're all stupid/ignorant/hicks. For some reason, people also think we don't wear shoes...

I've met very few people my age who actually like living here. It has its faults, but doesn't every place? All they can see is the negative. We also have a great sense of family...and sweet tea. Sweet tea is pretty good.

#12 Temperance Elisabeth

Temperance Elisabeth

Cliffhanger Queen Extraordinaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

I could give you pages and pages of information on the Deep South. I am the epitome of a Southern Belle minus the hoop skirts. Shoot me a message if you want.

"A house built on certainty is the first to crumble.  Certainty is sand.  It shifts by increments which are indiscernible to the resident, unnoticed until the final collapse, the edifice tumbling into the sea." Dallas Mullican

"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die." - Leonardo da Vinci

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allen Poe

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Twitter      Facebook     Tumblr

Website

#13 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

We also have a great sense of family...and sweet tea. Sweet tea is pretty good.

THIS. I moved to Alaska to live with a friend. After three months of no sweet tea at restaurants I moved back.

#14 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

THIS. I moved to Alaska to live with a friend. After three months of no sweet tea at restaurants I moved back.

^Win.  I'm in the Pacific Northwest right now and dying without it.

K. J. Harrowick

#15 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

^Win.  I'm in the Pacific Northwest right now and dying without it.

HOW DO THESE PEOPLE NOT KNOW ABOUT SWEET TEA.

#16 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hey, fellow South Carolinian! I grew up in the Lowcountry, moved to NC for college and stayed. 

The thing that drives me crazy is that people tend to think that we deep southerners are idiots, gullible, populate via inbreeding, and eat roadkill. 

YESSSS!!! My BFF went to the west coast for a traveling nursing gig...and flipped her lid (called me in a frenzy) when she couldn't find sweet tea. It's my staple. I can't live w/o it.

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#17 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

YESSSS!!! My BFF went to the west coast for a traveling nursing gig...and flipped her lid (called me in a frenzy) when she couldn't find sweet tea. It's my staple. I can't live w/o it.

There is this restaurant in Nashville called Noshville. It's styled after a NY delicatessen, therefore they don't have sweet tea. Those servers must get so tired of explaining why they don't serve sweet tea there.  

#18 albrock

albrock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hey, fellow South Carolinian! I grew up in the Lowcountry, moved to NC for college and stayed. 

The thing that drives me crazy is that people tend to think that we deep southerners are idiots, gullible, populate via inbreeding, and eat roadkill. 

*waves*  I'm from the Piedmont--near Greenville.

And triple YES to your second line there. No roadkill for me, thanks. 

A FINE IMITATION

...on Goodreads

...on Amazon

amberbrock.net

#19 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

I know right!?  You try and ask for it out here and they either look at you like you've just asked for their alien child, or they bring you cold, brewed, unsweetened Lipton.  WRONG! :laugh:

I thought y'all ate gaters. :tongue:   Oh wait... Louisiana... *runz*

And so my post isn't complete spam.... :wub:

@Stephanie:  If you haven't noticed, the south LOVES it's sweet tea.  In many areas, they also love to re-enact the early wars of their region.

When I was there, I also noticed that a lot of families have deeply-rooted ties to their area, or even their homes.  Many of the southern families I knew had been on the same plots of land for at least 3-4 generations... so a lot of family history there. :smile:

K. J. Harrowick

#20 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

There is this restaurant in Nashville called Noshville. It's styled after a NY delicatessen, therefore they don't have sweet tea. Those servers must get so tired of explaining why they don't serve sweet tea there.  

LOL!! The local patrons must scream "Blasphemy" whenever they go there. It's almost a struggle for me to order any other drink from the menu. "Oh, so you're out of sweet tea? Ugh...ehhh...grr...hmm... :wacko: *sighs* Guess I'll take a lemonade."

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users