#1 Tosin.O

Tosin.O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hello fellow writers! So I finished writing my first short novel a few weeks ago and found a few beta readers. Everyone who has read it loves it (yay!). But I haven't read it over myself. I don't know why exactly. Every time I think of reading it, to edit it for myself, I get discouraged. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is this normal? I personally think it's a brilliant plot but my reluctance to read it over is a little frightening. :sad:

YOU ARE ENOUGH

#2 Joe Stephens

Joe Stephens

To love another person is to see the face of God.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think everybody's unique. You might ask yourself if there's something specific you fear. Are you afraid it isn't as good as you hope it is? Or are you afraid you'll muck it up by editing? You might also consider hiring an editor. If, like me, you can't afford someone to edit your whole manuscript, then you can do like I did and hire someone to do the first 50 pages to get you started. 

#3 Tosin.O

Tosin.O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

I think I fear it's not good enough. But the only way to find out is to read it over right? Thank you for the editing advice. I think that's a good way to start. I'll do it that way because Lord knows I can't afford an editor to review the whole book!

YOU ARE ENOUGH

#4 OSB Author

OSB Author

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:25 peer-reviewed scientific papers and reports.

THE SMALL BUSINESS GUIDE TO HAZARDOUS MATERIALS MANAGEMENT--published and made available through The Public Welfare Foundation in Washington D.C.

WARRIOR POWER--published by PublishAmerica as a training guide.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I am usually working on two stories at the same time. When I finish one, I let it rest for 2 weeks before I look at it again. By then I am well into the second one and starting a third. It helps me detach a little.

#5 Tosin.O

Tosin.O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Detachment! That's what it is! I see this novel as my baby because it's my very first one so I'm very sensitive about it. I guess i'll give it more time to "rest" before I come back to it. I'll start on a new book :smile:

YOU ARE ENOUGH

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yes, setting it aside is a good idea. I'd go at least a month -- perhaps longer if you're not working on something else -- so you give yourself some distance. And it's a great idea to get an editor, but I'd do that after you've gone through it yourself a couple times and gotten some more feedback from other careful readers. It's wonderful to have people tell you it's a great story, but it's even better to receive critiques that note what sounds implausible, or what section caused them to set the manuscript aside, etc.

#7 Tosin.O

Tosin.O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yes, setting it aside is a good idea. I'd go at least a month -- perhaps longer if you're not working on something else -- so you give yourself some distance. And it's a great idea to get an editor, but I'd do that after you've gone through it yourself a couple times and gotten some more feedback from other careful readers. It's wonderful to have people tell you it's a great story, but it's even better to receive critiques that note what sounds implausible, or what section caused them to set the manuscript aside, etc.

It's been close to a month now but I still don't think I'm ready- I still get a sense of anxiety (lack of better term) when I think about reading it. It's a weird, indescribable feeling. And I definitely need more and better beta readers because most of the ones I've had just say how great it is- not much of a critique. So I'll definitely get an editor.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

#8 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Tosin.O 

My apologies for the delay in responding, but writing / promoting has taken up much of my alleged 'free' time.

First let me say that you will probably always have these feelings about your books. Remember, unlike everyone else, you have poured your heart into your story. So it is only natural that you will be attached to it.

Look at it as an opportunity to refine it. Most of the time, when I re-read my work, I tweak it, change it, etc.... it's only natural. However, at some point you need to let it go, because it will never be 100%. That is where having good beta readers come in handy. You generally don't want friends / family because they have a vested interest in you. Go outside the bubble. This way you know the feedback coming in will be honest and not sugarcoated. 

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#9 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Detachment! That's what it is! I see this novel as my baby because it's my very first one so I'm very sensitive about it. I guess i'll give it more time to "rest" before I come back to it. I'll start on a new book :smile:

First off, hi, and glad to meet you.  Oh, and congratulations on finishing your first manuscript.  That's a big deal!

Like OSB, I give my projects some down-time before reading them.  But, in my case, it's a whole year for a novel.  I use that time to write another, and that gives me the mental distance I need (and makes the anticipation of a return all the greater).  It's more fun that way.

That said, remember that your book is a story, not a bullet-proof vest, parachute, or heart-lung machine.  No one will die if it's not flawless.  With this in mind, you can enjoy the story without all the extra stress of expecting perfection.

#10 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Tosin--It's a long process.  Start on your next and as you're writing you'll learn and take those lessons back to fix your first. (That's what happened for me anyway.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users