31 replies to this topic

#1 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

This is a great link that I found to the Cornell University Library. http://digital.libra...itch/about.html I worked on creating a song a few years ago about the Salem witch trials (and intolerance in general) and I needed to know some historical facts. If you are someone who likes to incorporate historical facts with fiction, it's always good to learn as much as you can about them. Not just dates either. This is an extensive (very) resource on witchcraft that I found helpful for my writing. Hopefully you may find it useful somewhere along the line as well. If anyone has any other info on the topic of witchcraft; its influences in literature or authors, post here.

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the link, William. The only thing I would warn about when dealing with witchcraft is there's the current modern day religion, there's the old religion as it actually was, and then there's the perceived religion by people outside of the religion.

The simplest example is you'll often hear of Satan being mentioned in literature written by people outside of the religion with relation to witchcraft. In actuality Satan is a part of the Christian religion and has nothing to do with witchcraft.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

I'd warn: Satanism doesn't worship Satan and it has NOTHING to do with Wiccan-based Witchcraft.

People connect the two too easily in my opinion.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#4 Linda B

Linda B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:only my HS newspaper

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

Right Cali, and Satanists are a group of their own. Thanks for the link Bill, I will check it out

#5 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

I saw a documentary that started with "What did LSD have to do with the Salem Witch Trials?"

"Nothing" I said to myself. When I discovered nothing else was on, I watched the show, and they are 100% correct. The people who were said to have been put under a spell by the poor, innocent girls were tripping on acid. There is a very good chance that the earlier witch trials in Europe were also the result of bad LSD.

No lie. Check it out.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#6 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Yeah. I can't tell you how often I cringe when I watch movies. Hollywood is always getting it all wrong. As do most of the other religions when referring to witchcraft/wicca.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#7 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

I saw a documentary that started with "What did LSD have to do with the Salem Witch Trials?"

"Nothing" I said to myself. When I discovered nothing else was on, I watched the show, and they are 100% correct. The people who were said to have been put under a spell by the poor, innocent girls were tripping on acid. There is a very good chance that the earlier witch trials in Europe were also the result of bad LSD.

No lie. Check it out.

Rs, I think there was a theory of mold spores on the grain giving people hallucinations, however, you also need to take into account that the accused were often land owners, which meant their property would get confiscated and sold off. And again, in Europe, it was often about power.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#8 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Yeah. I can't tell you how often I cringe when I watch movies. Hollywood is always getting it all wrong. As do most of the other religions when referring to witchcraft/wicca.

I know Cali. It disgusts me too. I studied Wicca for a long time. It's a beautiful practice in my book.

#9 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'd warn: Satanism doesn't worship Satan and it has NOTHING to do with Wiccan-based Witchcraft.

People connect the two too easily in my opinion.

Connecting Wicca and Satanism is like connecting Catholics and Muslims. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. True witchcraft is depicted so wrong in most books. Just another example of believing the myth. Too lazy to research.

#10 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

I know Cali. It disgusts me too. I studied Wicca for a long time. It's a beautiful practice in my book.

It really is. I always try and explain that it's a religion based on nature and its cycles. I usually leave it at that unless they ask any more questions. Although I usually refer to myself as pagan versus wiccan, since I know a lot of wiccan's are a bit more organized in their thoughts and methods, and I pantster my way around with a mish mash of my own beliefs. lol. Once a pantster, always a pantster. :laugh:

Cali MacKay

FREE

#11 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Rs, I think there was a theory of mold spores on the grain giving people hallucinations, however, you also need to take into account that the accused were often land owners, which meant their property would get confiscated and sold off. And again, in Europe, it was often about power.

Yeah, LSD is derived from a mold that grows on Rye, but only in damp conditions. The people who put forward the theory took great care in proving that in each case of witch trials the villages used rye for bread and that the weather was wet enough to support the mold. In the Salem case the town was Protestant. Back then that meant a dedication to science - oh how things have changed. Because of that, they kept meticulous notes about the symptoms of the afflicted.

In the 1950's in France a bakery got some bad rye and there was an outbreak of people wigging out. They traced it to the rye, and a reading of the medical reports then and the ones from Salem are nearly identical.

By the way, the mold also makes arsenic, which causes the stomach and body pain. Imagine that while halucinating.

Of course, that only accounts for why somoene might think they had been cursed. Who they blamed for bewitching them is another story... that's where you'd get your land grabs, petty backstabbing, or just plan hysteria - like with the pre-schools in the 1980s being accused to wild, insane, child molestation in California and North Carolina. Witch hunts get crazy.

I do have Wiccans in my latest WIP based entirely on the movie The Craft. I kind of like a point in my stuff where a kid says, "I assume that you're not interested in a discussion about the complete lack of disparity between prayer and spells."

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#12 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Connecting Wicca and Satanism is like connecting Catholics and Muslims. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. True witchcraft is depicted so wrong in most books. Just another example of believing the myth. Too lazy to research.

Actually, not. Wicca and Satanism have nothing in common. Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

Something I learned from working on Xena: Warrior Princess. The son Abraham was ordered by god to kill (how sick is that?) was his oldest son. There was a younger one who standed to gain the inheritance if the older was dead. Something about the two sons is the supposed source of the Muslim religion, if you believe that sort of thing.

by R.S. Mellette

#13 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Yeah, LSD is derived from a mold that grows on Rye, but only in damp conditions. The people who put forward the theory took great care in proving that in each case of witch trials the villages used rye for bread and that the weather was wet enough to support the mold. In the Salem case the town was Protestant. Back then that meant a dedication to science - oh how things have changed. Because of that, they kept meticulous notes about the symptoms of the afflicted.

In the 1950's in France a bakery got some bad rye and there was an outbreak of people wigging out. They traced it to the rye, and a reading of the medical reports then and the ones from Salem are nearly identical.

By the way, the mold also makes arsenic, which causes the stomach and body pain. Imagine that while halucinating.

Of course, that only accounts for why somoene might think they had been cursed. Who they blamed for bewitching them is another story... that's where you'd get your land grabs, petty backstabbing, or just plan hysteria - like with the pre-schools in the 1980s being accused to wild, insane, child molestation in California and North Carolina. Witch hunts get crazy.

I do have Wiccans in my latest WIP based entirely on the movie The Craft. I kind of like a point in my stuff where a kid says, "I assume that you're not interested in a discussion about the complete lack of disparity between prayer and spells."

Exactly!

I actually lived in Salem for a good 10 years. It's a fun place, especially if you're pagan. It's probably the most witch friendly city now. Even the cops have little flying witches on their uniforms. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

#14 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm from Winston-Salem, NC and you would not believe the number of people who say, "Oh, where they had the witch trials."

These are probably ancestors of the people who came up with the brilliant idea of throwing the accused into a well. If they drowned they were innocent. Well, find me friggin' guilty you stupid Mo-Fo.

by R.S. Mellette

#15 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

I can't believe that, RS! lol.

I always loved the logic behind the "tests" for the accused. Ridiculous. But what happened in Europe during the Inquisitions was a thousand times worse. There are estimates of between 200K (the low estimate) and 9 million (the high estimate) women being tortured and/or murdered, after being accused of witchcraft.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#16 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

But what happened in Europe during the Inquisitions was a thousand times worse. There are estimates of between 200K (the low estimate) and 9 million (the high estimate) women being tortured and/or murdered, after being accused of witchcraft.

There were a number of men accused, also. Politics!

#17 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

There were a number of men accused, also. Politics!

Most definitely! Anything for the convenience of politics and religion, which were basically the same back then.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#18 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Actually, not. Wicca and Satanism have nothing in common. Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

Something I learned from working on Xena: Warrior Princess. The son Abraham was ordered by god to kill (how sick is that?) was his oldest son. There was a younger one who standed to gain the inheritance if the older was dead. Something about the two sons is the supposed source of the Muslim religion, if you believe that sort of thing.

I read recently that the Koran says there are three "true" religion: Muslim, Christian, and Jewish. Monotheism. Interesting that those three are at each other's throats most of the time!

Being a former Solitary Wiccan, I prefer my Metaphysicians and Druids, thank you. Although Mormons can be fun to play with... :huh:

#19 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

We only get the occasional Jehovah's Witness. Had one come by the other day, and I told them , "No thanks, I'm pagan." and she shrunk back horrified and said "Why would you say such a thing?" "Um, because it's true?" lol. Jeez, lady. Don't knock on my door and then criticize me. :blink:

Cali MacKay

FREE

#20 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

We only get the occasional Jehovah's Witness. Had one come by the other day, and I told them , "No thanks, I'm pagan." and she shrunk back horrified and said "Why would you say such a thing?" "Um, because it's true?" lol. Jeez, lady. Don't knock on my door and then criticize me. :blink:

LMAO Maybe I should try that. I hate being rude, but they won't stop coming around. I'm sorry--the pamphlets always end up in the trash unread. It's not Green!

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users