#21 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

LMAO Maybe I should try that. I hate being rude, but they won't stop coming around. I'm sorry--the pamphlets always end up in the trash unread. It's not Green!

You take the pamphlets!?!?! lol.

Funny thing is, for whatever reason (esp. when I was in college), I get a lot of people stopping in the street to talk to me about god, like they've found a kindred spirit. And then when they find out the truth, they practically run away. I don't know what on earth it is about my appearance or attitude that gives them the idea that I'd be an overly religious Christian. I think I need to smile less. lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#22 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

You take the pamphlets!?!?! lol.

Funny thing is, for whatever reason (esp. when I was in college), I get a lot of people stopping in the street to talk to me about god, like they've found a kindred spirit. And then when they find out the truth, they practically run away. I don't know what on earth it is about my appearance or attitude that gives them the idea that I'd be an overly religious Christian. I think I need to smile less. lol.

Pfft. Think how I feel, working in a Christian-based school. Everyone is incredibly nice and they compliment me a lot... almost like they've never had a decent janitor before and they're afraid to lose me... but I wonder what they'd say if they knew my religious history. I'm willing to bet they'd start finding things wrong with my work. I tell you, the Bible Belt is a scary place to live sometimes.

And yes, I take the pamphlets. The people who come aren't ever RUDE, so I'd feel like a jerk to completely ignore them. They don't stay and talk, either. Taking them is just easier since they leave right afterward. It's just they always seem to come while I'm in the shower, taking a nap, or watching a movie. Kinda irritating in that way.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#23 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

The mold on the rye bread was ergot. I saw the same show. :biggrin:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#24 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels, and the fourth coming soon through Mythic Dragon Publishing

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

HI, Eli...

Want a way for then to come only once?

I guess you should all know that I have a degree in anthropology. Anyway,

This is what I did...

My brother and sister in-law was visiting, and the Jehovah's Witness people were becoming a problem. Everyday, someone would come knocking on my door, I worked at night, and they would wake me up. So anyway, back to the story. They showed up, and my sister-in-law walked across the deck, and I told the four people standing there "See that woman?" They all nodded. "That’s my husband's wife #1, and I am wife #2." they were back in their car so fast, and I was never bothered by anyone from their church again…

#25 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Actually, not. Wicca and Satanism have nothing in common. Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

Something I learned from working on Xena: Warrior Princess. The son Abraham was ordered by god to kill (how sick is that?) was his oldest son. There was a younger one who standed to gain the inheritance if the older was dead. Something about the two sons is the supposed source of the Muslim religion, if you believe that sort of thing.

RS, very well taken. You make a great point and your post is absolutely compelling. I'm researching the subject as we speak! THANKS!

#26 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

HI, Eli...

Want a way for then to come only once?

I guess you should all know that I have a degree in anthropology. Anyway,

This is what I did...

My brother and sister in-law was visiting, and the Jehovah's Witness people were becoming a problem. Everyday, someone would come knocking on my door, I worked at night, and they would wake me up. So anyway, back to the story. They showed up, and my sister-in-law walked across the deck, and I told the four people standing there "See that woman?" They all nodded. "That’s my husband's wife #1, and I am wife #2." they were back in their car so fast, and I was never bothered by anyone from their church again…

BRILLIANT

#27 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:25 published magazine articles
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

That is too funny! It if were me, i would invite them into my very much so out of the broom closet apartment- hey, it's my space and then they would really be running for their lives. 

But in my story, I am presenting the main character as the hero to also get Witches and Witchcraft/ Paganism, what have you, seen in a positive light. 

#28 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Any group or person thought to be practicing any number of imaginary dark arts has been termed witches, and their magic witchcraft.  Keeping a level head about what is real and what was never real helps out a lot.  Most witches persecuted throughout history have been women living alone, at the fringes of society.  Most of their supposed magic was misunderstood medicinal work, crafts, or pure fabrication.  Just look at the problem some aid workers in a couple of African nations are having as they combat HIV infection.

So, when using witchcraft as a term, I wouldn't worry too much about stepping on toes.  Take and leave what makes your story more interesting.

#29 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Good point

#30 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I had a Christian evangelical try to covert me while I was pumping gas. Without missing a beat I told him how Satan loved him and that all souls are welcome in hell because Satan's love is pure... fun stuff.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#31 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

How did the person respond to that?

#32 llLeoll

llLeoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

.... The people who were said to have been put under a spell by the poor, innocent girls were tripping on acid. There is a very good chance that the earlier witch trials in Europe were also the result of bad LSD....

You mean ergot poisoning?

Requested Feedback

* Query Letter: http://agentquerycon...ntasy-elements/

* First 250 Words: http://agentquerycon...ntasy-elements/

* Synopsis (2-Page):  http://agentquerycon...ts/#entry308195

Cheers/ And thanks in advance,

llLeoll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users