Disclaimer

Photo

Hi My Name Is ________.I'm addicted to writing.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

Why, RC, that's exactly what I meant! :tongue:

hugs~

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#22 suja

suja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi, My name is Suja. I'm working on revising my YA and it looks like I can't get beyond the first ten pages. I keep finding things to revise and now I'm not sure if I'm making it worse. Getting that query fixed up is so hard.
This site has been wonderful, a real help.
Thanks
Suja

#23 Charlie Eve

Charlie Eve

Illustration Junky/Part-time Sweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Welcome Suja!

#24 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Welcome, Suja.

We all struggle to rewrite, or we wouldn't be writers! Have you simply read through your manuscript once from beginning to end just to get a feel for how it flows? Sometimes that helps take the focus out of reading it to edit and can help you gain a better feeling of what may need work.

Best luck and welcome aboard.

Cat Woods

#25 layinda

layinda

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

(Oops - I saw this thread a while ago, but forgot to come back to it to post.)

Hi, Everybody,

My name is Layinda, and I thought I wrote YA, but have recently discerned that my MS, which I am in the midst of editing (again), is more upper-middle-grade/tween. I am also 1/3 of the way into an adult light mystery.

I have a 2x weekly blog, layinda.wordpress.com, and am regularly on Twitter as @layindalayinda

#26 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

We love you, Layinda.

Isn't it fun to learn that we didn't write what we thought we did? That happened to me once, but I got demoted to a chapter book!

Hugs~

Cat Woods

#27 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not yet!

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hello, my name is Lisa I live by Lake Michigan so I thought I would go by Lake reminding me of the beauty of the beach... I am an instructor for Western Michigan University and teach children's lit, intermediate lit and adolescent lit - 3 classes geared for future teachers.

I love to write, and read. I have been working on a YA realistic fiction drama novel for several months, I was inspired to write it from researching the Phoebe Prince case, I believe the novel can help teens cope with the stress of being cyber - bullied as well as show them what suicide does to a family. It is important for kids to think of the big picture and not just the situation at hand.

I have four kids, all with the same man - my husband of 26 years, when I write their ages, you will know why I added that comment: Samantha (24), Halley (17), Miles (14) and Drew (6) - no mistakes either, all were blessings! I am crazy, I know!!

I use my high school kids for information and research, they tell me a lot of interesting things that happened throughout their day, I use this knowledge in my novel, along with the sarcasm that they portray!
That's about it for me!
Thanks
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[*][sup][sub][s][spoiler]Lake Michigan[/spoiler][/s][/sub][/sup]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#28 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

Welcome, Lake.

There's a few of us from the Midwest who know what the beauty of the lakes looks like. We hope you find our group welcoming.

hugs~

Cat Woods

#29 scubasteve4

scubasteve4

Gone Writing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel BATTERY BROTHERS is due out with Elephant's Bookshelf Press on March 30, 2014.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hi! My name is Steve and I enjoy writing YA novels. By day, I’m a marketing copywriter. By night and on weekends, I do my most important work--being a dad to two beautiful girls (10 months and 2 1/2). I do 95% of my novel writing on my train commute to and from work, which totals about three hours.

I have one complete YA novel, Blindsided, that I’m querying. It’s the story of a teenage boy who gains confidence and finds love while helping the victims of a sunburst—a new kind of natural disaster that blinds people. It’s out as a full with one agent. Being that I got her name wrong in my query (who would think SPENCER is girl’s name?) I was surprised she asked to see the whole thing. That would have been an immediate rejection if I were the agent! But she was nice about it.

I’m in the early editing stages of my second YA novel, Battery Brothers. It has a strong baseball theme. It’s a subject I enjoy writing about, having played competitive baseball through my college years.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to adding to the conversations and learning from you all.

Best,

Steve

http://www.stevencarman.com

BatteryBros3.jpg

Published: March 30, 2014
Elephant's Bookshelf Press

#30 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

Nice to have you on board, Steve. You sound like you've figured out a nice balance between real life and the writing life. Kudos for that.

Thanks for the wonderful introduction. We look forward to working with you.

Cat Woods

#31 propman01

propman01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Several magazine articles for "Scene" magazine (a four-color employee publication for Southwestern Bell Telephone Company) - selected as "Feature Writer of Year" by IABC; Self-published two job-hunting books in 1982 and 2001 that sold nationwide; recently finished YA novel and seeking agency representation.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hi, All!

I'm Lee (Leighton is too heavy for this group), and I've been involved in
writing from time immemorial...or it seems, so. From being a public information
officer to magazine writer/editor, to the whole gamut of marketing communications
for the past 30+ years. Now, as retired military and adjunct professor, I unleash my
"darker side," as Cat would say, as a writer of a series of MG and/or YA books (I
haven't decided) about a 12-year-old "sleuth" in the early '40s who solves crimes,
deals with a bully, has a blossoming romance, and lives through the normal fears
of being in middle school, a new environment, and a stepped-up learning curve.
In book two (which I can't way to write!), my protagonist, Mitch Moran, uncovers
a Nazi spy ring in his home town, that operates out of his school.

Glad to be part of this group, and hope to help out with meaningful critiques...at
least as far as my reading, writing, and editing skills will enable me. Best to all!

Lee McCormick

#32 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Welcome, Lee. Sounds like you have one heck of a great book. My nephews love that time frame and would love the slueth part of it.

Best luck and let us know what we can do to help you out!

Cat Woods

#33 Sarah the Mermaid

Sarah the Mermaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Never been published

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi All,

My name is Sarah and although I've been writing since my wee years it has only been in the last 3-4 years that I have begun to acknowledge that writing is my passion. A few years ago after my husband died I used a wonderful stone formation on my mountain property to heal my heart. In doing so, she (Scout) inspired me to write a book around her. Today I have completed Kiva and the Stone Nation, a MG novel about a young girl struggling with her self confidence and her heritage who becomes lost in the mountains of Southern Colorado and is awakened to her magical abilities through the encounters with the stones. Through her adventures, she learns valuable lessons about true friendship and in turn helps the Stone Nation save their Elders from destruction by a local oil company. I am in the throws of the daunting task of finding a literary agent, while I revise my second MG novel about 4 hybrid children (half human, half Lumanarian) who hone their special powers as they learn the truth about 2 local well respected doctors who are actually kidnapping their species and replacing them with clones.

I am hoping this group will be my support as I wade through the process of finding the perfect literary agent, keep me motivated as I receive the requisite rejections, plus provide feedback for my writing.

Thanks for being available. I look forward to working with all of you.

Sarah the Mermaid

#34 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

Welcome, Sarah. Thanks for your wonderful introduction. It sounds like you have some great story ideas just waiting to catch an agent's attention. Best luck and let us know if you need something. We have unlimited support available!

Cat Woods

#35 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels, and the fourth coming soon through Mythic Dragon Publishing

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hi, All…

My name is Julie (Juls) Duncan, and I am 49 in 17 more days, I live in Montana on a cattle ranch with my husband and stepson, and I love writing and reading books.

I started writing when I was a child… Really don’t remember how old I was. But I can tell you when I started making up complete stories… It was for my daughter. Now I am doing it for my stepson, who is 11… Morgan’s (MC) in my novel, really got started with my daughter, and after telling Buck (stepson) the story, he started wanting to add to the story. So that is why Morgan grew from a short story to a novel, and it’s been really fun… I am now working on my second book in her adventures, The Forest of Carren.

I have to say that during collage, I got the idea to add a bit fiction to my otherwise dry research paper… The Kennewick Man (I have a degree in anthropology) was the first research paper that I added fiction too. His skeleton showed injuries, so I made up how he might have gotten those injuries. I got an A+ and my professor read it to the class. I had the same results with every professor. From then on, I was hooked…

Thank you all for any help that you have already given me, and I will thank you in advance for any that you are willing to give… Juls

#36 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

Welcome to the fold, Ms. Juls!

I hope you find everything you need in this group. If you ever have a question, shout it out. Someone will answer.

I always say I live where writers are fewer than Junebugs in January. While this is true, I suspect we may be overpopulated in comparison to your ranch in Montana. That's some beautiful, but quiet territory. I have rellies in that state and spent a great deal of my childhood roaming the countryside.

Best luck and see you around.

Cat Woods

#37 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

My name is Jean and while I typically write adult novels, lately I seem to be heading into kid territory. Which is fun since in a lot of ways I'm just a kid in grown-up pants.

I'm agented and have a nonfiction project (free play kids activities) currently out on submission--talk about a tough and crowded market. Ack!

But what I want (what I really, really want--sing with me everyone!) is help with chapter book stuff. I've had an idea kicking around for awhile for a chapter book and recently have sat myself down to try and put it to paper. I have a rough draft, but now need to do a little research so I can edit it to the best effect market-wise, length-wise, content-wise, etc. And (deep breath) I think it might be part of a series. So wrapping it up, etc, is uh, fun?

It's a whole new challenge for me and I'm glad to see so many familiar, friendly faces in here who are experts in the area of kid lit.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#38 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Welcome, Jean. We are so thrilled you decided to join the ranks of juvenile delinquents...er writers.

You'll be a great addition to our group and can't wait to see what you have cooking. And never fear, chapter books are one of the few places that celebrate series.

Let us know how we can help.

Cat Woods

#39 Jaz

Jaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Hi all. My name is Jaz and I abso-positiv-lutely love writing. I'm actually preparing my YA novel for representation by a literary agent.

I'm not the biggest fan of the act of wrapping my fingers around the pen and pulling and pushing it across the paper, but I enjoy the ideas that flow and usually the end result. I love getting my mind out there, even if it's just on paper.

I enjoy reading a bit of everything as long as it has darn interesting characters, good plot, and is thought-provoking. I'm like addicted to YA right now and have been for a long time since before I was of age. Drama is the spice of life...when you're not in it. YA has plenty of that. the language is juicy and all in all it is relatable (i think that's a word, it has to be).

I'm hoping to connect with people who share my interest and zest for the writing field, specifially in my taste of YA, which is similar to all the godod teen dramas on tv nowadays - yes, I'm biased. I want to network and get the show rolling.

=)

#40 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Welcome Jaz.

By preparing your work for an agent, do you mean an agent has asked you to submit edits to them? Or you are about to starting querying? I'm not sure what you mean.

There are lots of YAers on AQC, so lots of folks to chat with!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users