#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

This is an interesting article by Mark Coker, founder of ebook distribution company, Smashwords.

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=tw

Apparently, iBooks will come pre-installed on the Apple's new operating system iOS 8 that they'll be rolling out this Fall 2014.

Prior to iOS 8, readers who wanted to shop the iBooks store were forced to click to the Apple App store, search for the iBooks app, sign in with their email address and password, and then install it.

The absence of a pre-installed app created an inconvenience for readers, which explains why only a fraction of Apple's customer base today has installed the iBooks app. Despite this extra step, Apple's iBooks store has been enormously successful since its launch four years ago. With stores in 51 countries, iBooks has grown to become the world's second largest global seller of ebooks.

We read it a different article that Amazon accounts for 51% of ebook sales and Apple's iBookstoe accounts for 20-25% of ebooks sales.

It will be interesting to watch if this additional visibility of their iBook app pre-load on all new Apple devices will affect ebook sales.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

interesting.

#3 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Very cool!

:)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#4 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

Something to watch and I am a big believer in diversifying, I don't like having all my eggs in the Amazon basket :)

#5 LittleJoni

LittleJoni

Vertically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

I just downloaded the iBooks app to my iPad after I bought it, it's not nearly as "inconvenient" as they make it sound, LOL!  I had to download the Kindle app, too...so no biggie.

Honestly, when I want to purchase an ebook, I check iBooks first.  If I can't get it there, then I go to Kindle.  It's not because I prefer one app over the other, I just find it easier to use my iTunes account to buy ebooks.

Newest Query:

TIME GUARDIAN

Older Queries:

THE BELIEVER

THE MYSTIC ROAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users