3 replies to this topic

#1 Licentia

Licentia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Released my first novel, Blood Leverage, on June 17th! Currently available in both paperback and Kindle editions on Amazon.com Also, check out my giveaway at www.jshazzard.com

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm in the process of uploading my 2013 docx file to Amazon for conversion, and though most of it has turned out perfectly, I still have a small but stubborn problem with the centering of five particular Chapter headings. Though they show up perfectly centered in my docx file, these five Chapter headings do not convert properly and instead align themselves to the left margin. The other thirty-three Chapter headings are perfect. 

It would appear that this issue centers around Microsoft 'styles', something I was completely unfamiliar with until this morning. The five rogue chapters were a different 'style' than my other chapter headings, but switching them to match doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. 

When I scroll my mouse over the Chapter headings in the docx file that DO convert properly, a small gray triangle appears to the left of them, allowing me to collapse and expand that chapter. The five chapter headings that are formatting incorrectly do NOT have the small gray triangle, and are not collapsible/expandable. The problem is, I have no idea how that little triangle got there, or why all but five of my chapters are allowed to expand and contract. (I've never seen sections in Word expand and contract, and it certainly was nothing I did deliberately!) 

I'm usually able to navigate Mic Word without many problems, and so far as I can tell, everything else about the Chapter Headings as a whole are identical. The margins, the spacing, the fonts, and of course they're all centered in the docx file. 

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to try? I am at a loss here, and it's making me insane. 

#2 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

I have done a lot of playing with Microsoft Word and I have never run across a style that allows you to collapse a chapter, not outside of the document map anyway. I've always just used like Heading 1 or maybe 2 for my chapter headings and then formatted them to look the way I wanted. You can do that by clicking the 'modify style' link that appears under the arrow to the right of the headings. I've never had any problems with some doing something different than the others when loading. Hope this helped.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

#3 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Have you tried copying & pasting the format of a heading that does work and applying it to the heading that doesn't work? 

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Interesting... you said it's in Word 2013? A friend of mine has been having a similar problem and also uses Word 2013. Have you tried highlighting the problem heading, clearing the formatting, and then re-applying the style? I haven't had this problem, but I use OpenOffice in conjunction with the starter version of Word 2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users