Disclaimer

Does anyone use Jutoh for creating mobi/epub files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

I'm trying to get my head around file creation and on another board someone recommended Jutoh for creating mobi & epub files. Does anyone else use it? Is it worth buying the full version or is it just as easy to upload a word document to KDP? 

I'm playing with the free version at the moment and like the feel of Jutoh and that it lets you preview the file and test it out. I'm paranoid that if I play around in KDP I might stuff it up and accidentally release a file that's not perfect.

#2 Licentia

Licentia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Released my first novel, Blood Leverage, on June 17th! Currently available in both paperback and Kindle editions on Amazon.com Also, check out my giveaway at www.jshazzard.com

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

I uploaded my Blood Leverage file to Amazon the other day and it wouldn't even accept mobi. It wanted the docx file, and then I had to go through their preview and correct the word doc until it was perfect. Edited to add that it actually was very easy, since I forgot to mention that before. 

#3 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Ah, that's good to know. I was under the impression you could upload a mobi file. Bother. But *yeah* that it is easy to use  :smile:

#4 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Huh, that's interesting. I've always provided .mobi files to Matt Sinclair for his Elephant's Bookshelf Press books. As far as I recall, there's never been a problem. :unsure:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#5 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

We still don't have a clear idea about the mobi issue.

We had a problem uploading a mobi file created in Calibre back in September 2013 -- we literally got an error message saying that Amazon does not support third-party generated files.  At the time, they would not allow us to upload the mobi file for the new release, but we could still upload edited versions of mobi files to previously published books.  Was it the fact that we perhaps were using an older version of Calibre?

Since that time, we have only have bothered to upload docx files, but it is limiting because we haven't been able to include embedded photos.  The Ultimate Ebook Creator is a program we know has been used by some indie authors, but we found it a bit cumbersome if you don't actually generate the original document inside it but rather are attempting to import a docx file into it.

RC - how are you creating the mobi files? When was the last time you generated it and Matt uploaded it?

#6 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

I was reading the KDP help and it says it only accepts mobi files created with KindleGen, which shouldn't be a problem as it is plugged into Jutoh. I'll have a play and report back.

#7 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

My method is a little weird, probably, but it's been working with good results. I set it up in Pages '09, export as an epub, and convert to mobi in Calibre 0.9.2 (it keeps telling me there are new updated versions … I keep not getting around to it).

The last time was for Battery Brothers in late March/early April.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

That's extremely fascinating... the version of Calibre we were using was Calibre 0.9.22

For some reason, so....going from epub to mobi in Calibre doesn't make Amazon vomit up the error, but going directly from docx to mobi in Calibre does...

Hmmmmm. That. Is. Good. Info.  Very good, indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users