Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hello all!

Has anyone here ever had stitches? Better yet, has anyone ever had stitches on their head? If so (to both of them), what do they feel like? Both by touching it, and how it feels on your skin? Like, I would imagine it feels like they're pulling the two sides of your skin. I wanted to double check on how they feel.

If you could answer either question-- I'll appreciate it a lot. I'll look around the forum and see which ones I can answer, as well.

Thank you so much!

#2 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

It's been a while, but I remember the slight pulling sensation around the stitches for a bit. At first they felt 'there' (if that makes sense) and a little tight, but that sensation faded pretty quickly - definitely within a day or 2. Same with moving my head - it felt like I had to avoid turning even though I really didn't. Again this faded quickly.

Having them removed was like an extended tickle - light, kind of bizarre sensation. No pain, just a little pull/tug. Touching it, it felt slightly bumpy but the area was almost hyper-sensitive so I avoided touching. :) Definitely didn't like clothing touching it even when pulling anything over my head. (I have weirdly sensitive skin and am only supposed to wear 100% cotton so that might all just be me). It's been a couple of decades since I've had the major ones though so things may have changed! Hope that helps a bit. :)

#3 efowler

efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Jemi-- this is perfect!! Thank you so much!

#4 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Not head wounds, but this stuff might still help...

I have a long scar on my arm from stitches, and one on my palm.  Also have a scar on my lip from having it split, and didn't get stitches, in case you want that, too. 

In the first instance, I got my stitches in a military hospital.  Some GIs were throwing beer bottles out the second floor window onto the concrete sidewalk below, I slipped on some and got badly cut.  The treatment all started with a brillo pad to scrub out the glass, and a lot of screaming (I was young at the time).  I can't remember what all happened after that, though I do remember healing.  The black stitches were far more interesting to me than the skin.  I messed around with them alot and they eventually fell out on their own.  The skin felt oddly numb through the entire healing process, and I remember poking at it a lot (stupid kid).  It's still numb even to this day.  The white line kind of feels as if I've got a line of dried elmer's glue on my arm.  I can feel my finger touching around it, but not it directly.

The scar on my palm was also from glass (I fell off my bike with a jar full of live bees--don't ask.)  This was a civilian hospital.  I remember them numbing the area with a needle--I've always been the type to watch--then they pulled the bits of glass out with tweezers.  There was no pulling to the flesh.  They just flattened the skin down, then placed two stitches to hold it down.  There were tiny pricks, and I could remember distantly feeling the string pulling through my skin.  Kinda horrific now that I think about it.  There wasn't really any pain, just the feeling as if I were holding some cloth the doc was sewing. 

Coincidentally, my kid got a cut in the exact same place in the same shape (fell on a rock), and his doctors just glued it shut.  Generation gap, I guess.  :P

For the one on my lip, I was hit in the face with a fist-sized chain.  Before you ask, it was an accident involving my first attempt to play tetherball, and a broken clip.  The memory makes it very easy to image being hit by a flail.  (Immediately afterward, the school replaced all their tetherballs with rope).  ANYWAY, my mom didn't think it was anything I should go to the doctor for, so I went around school for a couple of weeks with my lip split open as if I were born with a cleft lip.  The area remained very numb and surprisingly dry.  I guess you could say it ached more than hurt.  Touching the edges felt similar to the sensation of slightly touching the very tip of my nose... i.e. It felt slightly disconnected, yet still part of my face. Once the pain went away, it was a lot like having a fever blister.  I'd mess with it (stupid kid) constantly, until the two sides of the slit finally closed on its own.

^_^  Hope that helps.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#5 efowler

efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Yes this does help! Thank you!

Now, when you say the stitches fell out, do they still do this today? I've never had stitches, or really know anyone who's had the, (that I would want to ask haha), but I have heard of them being removed. Is that what they do these days?

Also-- THE BEES SOUND TERRIFYING. I gasped when I read that. It's like a perfect storm.

Anyways, thank you so much for your insight!!!

#6 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

There are two types of modern stitches.  One type is made to disintegrate, be absorbed by the body, while the exterior part just falls off.  The other type has to be removed.  I've always had the disintegration type.  Even when I had my tubes tied (fairly recently) and they sewed up the entry point in my belly button, the stitch just fell off.

LOL  I guess I'll explain about the bees...  As a kid, I kind of went after them like a catch-and-release fisherman.  I'd have fun slapping a jar over them while they were sniffing clover, then sliding a piece of cardboard underneath to trap them.  After looking at them for a while, I'd turn the jar over, pull away the cardboard, and let them go.  And, sometimes I'd see how many I could catch in a single jar without losing any.  At the time when I fell, I was going downhill to show my mom my record catch of ten (or so) bees.  Lost control of my bike, and landed on my hand--with the jar still in it.  Not fun.  Coincidentally, I never played "beekeeper" again.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#7 Aden

Aden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

I recall a definite sense of tightness there, but after a while it faded into the background. When I received twenty stitches on my forehead, it was covered by a bandage so I didn't have a chance to feel it. Recently though, I had to get a wound on my chest stitched up. Those were the disintegrating kind, and although the pain was bad, the itching as the wound healed was far worse. With the stitching that has to be taken out manually, it hurts slightly and feels pretty weird. 

I hope I've been of some help.

#8 arcangie

arcangie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

I had staples and stiches and special tape for small cuts.  The staples got infected and pulled. It was awful all around.  The stiches pulled and itched.

#9 onArete

onArete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'm super late to the party, but I have a few things to add.

Normally before stitches you get a numbing shot.  I had stitches as a kid and was absolutely terrified of needles, so that was the worst bit.  The rest of it just felt a bit prickly.  However, after that, I had to pretty much not put pressure on them for a few weeks.

Also, my mom had stitches in her chin a while back.  I don't know much about the procedure, except the scar is pretty evident.  It's been nearly 10 years and it's still bright white, she covers it with foundation usually.  And yes, it does create a little pucker/in-dent in the skin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users